Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

I really don't eat much these days. Like...coffee, multivitamin, and energy drinks fulfill my energy needs 90% of the time. I've even resorted making Egg Coffee lately. It's actually pretty good.

When there's actual food involved, though, I'm Paleo on crack. No grains, very little carbs, only red meat or fish, limited fruits and decent servings of vegetables. The simpler the food dish, the better. Soups, sauces, etc are all out.

I have Crohn's, so I have to avoid everything that is going to make me sick. Sometimes that's easiest by just not eating.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:47 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

For the most part I'm on the student diet as well >_< Frozen pizza's are good, pot pies, etc. But we do try to cook when we have the money, time, and energy for it! Veggie stir fry is my favorite, but we have a lot of others, some healthy and some not nearly healthy lol

For the most part it's frozen stuff with a few fruits as snacks.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:49 PM
dogstrong

100% vegetarian for the last ten years. I eat way too much processed crap because I can't regularly afford a lot of fresh.

Work in progress.

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 07-28-2013, 07:57 PM
Silence, peasants.

It's actually just been 1 year of eating 'like this' (gluten allergy diagnosis, ahem), and I'm very happy with it. My diet is fruits and vegetables, some meat, and a little grain, usually rice. I probably eat too much fruit, haha, but it's easier than most vegetables. I'm allergic to and/or avoid gluten, seafood, corn, dairy, pork, turkey and a lot of nuts, plus some other random foods. Pretty much everything I eat is organic and made at home. I do eat minimal processed stuff, and it's pretty hard to find processed things I can eat anyway. I eat the way I do because it's tasty, it makes me feel nice, and the athlete thing tends to make me view food as fuel, no point in eating a lot of stuff that won't help me. Not that I don't have the occasional sugarnom, just a v. v. minor part of my diet.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 07-28-2013, 08:19 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

By and large it's meat, veggies, fruit, nuts and seeds, and cheese.

I went from eating "clean" to eating primal mostly. My only dairy is in the form of cheese, I don't eat a TON of it and digest it fine. I will eat some rice sometimes, and on occasion also eat corn, but it's never very much when I eat either (my dad gets amused watching me count out eight corn chips when I make nachos...) Also I will still allow the very rare occurrence of sugar as long as it's real sugar and not HFCS or some crap like that.

Honestly I spent years being sick all the time. It first started when I was in ten years old. I was 28 when I axed grains. That's almost two decades of just plain being sick. I started cleaning up how I ate because I just wanted to - and miracle of miracles I actually stopped being sick all the time. People ask questions like "did you get carb flu when you went low carb?" or "when you went paleo did you feel sick at the start?" I can't answer that because I ALREADY felt sick all the time just as a matter of course. I was sick to my stomach routinely, woke up in the middle of the night and had to dash to the bathroom - or sometimes, possibly even worse, I wouldn't actually GET sick and would just be huddled in the bathroom feeling like I was going to throw up at any minute for an hour or two. I literally had to plan my life around eating, and like Lyzelle said (although the test for Chron's came back negative for me), sometimes it was easiest to just not eat as a way to avoid eating something that would make me sick. It went from "this makes me sick" to "this might make me sick" to "well, everything makes me sick."

I seriously did not think I had any kind of gluten intolerance. The doctor's tested me for celiac and it came back negative so they never even suggested "try cutting out gluten anyway." I mean I had a colonoscopy to see if there was something else seriously wrong with me and they suggested THAT before "hey why don't you just try cutting gluten?" So as it happens I didn't cut gluten to see if it was making me sick - I did it because I wanted to, and surprise! Yes, it WAS making me sick.

I will never ever ever go back to eating like that again. I ate something a few months ago that had gluten in it and was so violently ill in the middle of the night, yet I clearly remember thinking "huh. this used to be normal for me. ...why did I ever think that was okay?!" I just figured that was how my life was and I had to live that way. SURPRISE YOU DON'T HAVE TO LIVE LIKE THIS.

Most of the "gluten free" packaged stuff is chock full of crap, so it's beyond just eating gluten free. Primal is a fine word for it (though paleo is the more well-known variation) but I almost don't like to use either because I feel like so many people who eat paleo are like... doing it as a contest with one another. I EAT SO MUCH MORE PALEO THAN YOU or YOU EAT CHEESE? GOTCHA or... it's just tiring. I legit just don't care that much about what other people put in their bodies to play the paleo-penis-measuring game. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-28-2013, 09:02 PM
Sport Model Pug

Largely meat, eggs, veggies and protein shakes and lots of water lol.

Very little starch, some fruit, and almost no dairy.

I eat often, and protein at every meal. What I eat that day also depends on what I do.

I eat the way I do because it works for me. It was formulated for the program I was doing (and will be going back to when it starts up again) and it made me feel more energetic than ever.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-28-2013, 09:09 PM
Silence, peasants.

Oh, forgot to put (and too late to edit) that I just kinda eat small things throughout the day in the morning/afternoon, and then have a moderate dinner at night. No real proper breakfast/lunch though, just a kind of..constant stream of food.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 07-28-2013, 09:41 PM
rotties are my kryptonite

I drink tons and tons of water. I do my best not to eat fast food anymore, or rarely. I make 1/2 gallon of coffee on Sunday evenings, and I add sugar & unsweetened cocoa at a 2:1 ratio, and a splash of milk.

During the week, it's usually a free range, organic poached egg or crunchy peanut butter on 1/2 of an increased fiber English muffin and a banana for breakfast. Lunch is usually a turkey sandwich on whole wheat bread, or a salad. I snack on salted almonds with chocolate chips, and dinner could be anything or nothing. Sometimes I have hotdogs & Cheezits, sometimes I have quinoa and fresh veggies. On the weekends, I'm more of a grazer. I'll either have Cheerios or bacon/eggs/grits/toast. I usually don't eat lunch, and we try to cook dinner a couple of times. Most of our veggies come from our garden or local produce stands, and our meat is from our CSA - humanely raised, free range, organically fed beef, pork & chicken.

Somehow I've managed to lose about 15# eating like this, so I am not complaining at all. It beats the heck out of eating fast food 2-3x (or more!) a week and frozen meals and other horrible junk food.
my delicate little flower

Old 07-29-2013, 12:38 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Pretty much anything I want right now, only in moderation & not after 8 pm

Hahaha I have had Mac & cheese for breakfast before xD
Old 07-29-2013, 02:01 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
I drink green juice everyday (all veggies, mostly kale)
I avoid processed food as much as possible.
I try to eat only organic.
I avoid dairy.
I don't eat red meat.
All chicken/turkey is organic/local.
I only eat whole wheat bread/pasta when I do have it.
Everything in moderation really, 90% of my diet is non processed, non dairy, whole wheat "eating clean" kind of foods.
I think "eating clean" is the term for it, although it's not really a term haha I dunno, it's a kind of food choice I learned about mostly on tumblr..

But the other 10% (I give myself shark week off and a few other things) are just whatever. Ice cream, french fries, anything

I typically eat two meals a day.. breakfast and evening. and drink lots of water.

I do it because I feel better. Processed foods, heavy carbs, red meat, dairy.. it's yummy! But leaves me feeling icky, slow, etc..

Why I eat the way I do is because when I do I have energy, I feel better, I poop better, I sleep better, I smell better.. Lol I dunno. When I started to change my diet, yea I missed some of the food I ate but it's nothing compared to how much better I feel!

I don't feel I'm missing out.. I LOVE the food I eat and I still really eat what I want honestly.

When I do go out and have a "bad" meal (french fries etc..) yea, it's yummy.. but after I always feel A) Food coma B) Kinda sick C) Hungry 20 minutes later.
This, exactly. Except I'm pescetarien.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.