Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-28-2013, 04:16 PM
Obey the Toad.

Default How and What Do You Eat?

Do you eat a balanced diet or just whatever you feel like? Or, do you have a special diet like vegetarian, vegan, gluten free, or Paleo? Why do you eat the way you do?

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 PM
orange iguanas.

I eat whatever I want because if I only get one life I'm going to eat what I enjoy. YOLO, you could say.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-28-2013, 04:26 PM
Resident fainting goat

I drink green juice everyday (all veggies, mostly kale)
I avoid processed food as much as possible.
I try to eat only organic.
I avoid dairy.
I don't eat red meat.
All chicken/turkey is organic/local.
I only eat whole wheat bread/pasta when I do have it.
Everything in moderation really, 90% of my diet is non processed, non dairy, whole wheat "eating clean" kind of foods.
I think "eating clean" is the term for it, although it's not really a term haha I dunno, it's a kind of food choice I learned about mostly on tumblr..

But the other 10% (I give myself shark week off and a few other things) are just whatever. Ice cream, french fries, anything

I typically eat two meals a day.. breakfast and evening. and drink lots of water.

I do it because I feel better. Processed foods, heavy carbs, red meat, dairy.. it's yummy! But leaves me feeling icky, slow, etc..

Why I eat the way I do is because when I do I have energy, I feel better, I poop better, I sleep better, I smell better.. Lol I dunno. When I started to change my diet, yea I missed some of the food I ate but it's nothing compared to how much better I feel!

I don't feel I'm missing out.. I LOVE the food I eat and I still really eat what I want honestly.

When I do go out and have a "bad" meal (french fries etc..) yea, it's yummy.. but after I always feel A) Food coma B) Kinda sick C) Hungry 20 minutes later.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:41 PM
I'd rather be at Disney

Everything in moderation. I do like to eat but the idea of eating whatever whenever led me to almost 300lbs lol so I try to be sensible now. 80/20. 80 % of my diet needs to be good healthy foods and the oter 20 can be more indugent type things.

I eat pretty much everything lol so trying to make sure half of my plates are veggies and a protien.

“Meaninglessness does not come from being weary of pain. Meaninglessness comes from being weary of pleasure.”

G.K. Chesterton
“Family fun is as necessary to modern living as a kitchen refrigerator.” – Walt Disney

Old 07-28-2013, 04:43 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

I eat....a student diet. LOL Even though I am no longer a student, my pay grade hasn't improved much and I'm gone from home just as frequently. So, student diet.

By which I mean I eat a lot of frozen meals. I eat a lot of carbs. I don't eat much red meat, but that's because I don't really have a way to cook it to my satisfaction (no grill) and it is expensive.

Pizza is tasty, quick, and cost efficient since an entire pizza can feed me for three days.

It's just me, so I have to make single servings of everything which sucks. I don't go through fresh produce fast enough to make it worth buying, so I eat a lot of frozen veggies/fruit and fake mashed potatoes.

I started to eat better when I moved in with Mike because between the two of us we were able to go through fresh things faster and he encouraged me to cook meals. Now that he's gone, I'm going to REALLY have to work hard to not a.) snack all of the time and b.) continue to cook meals and not just junk food.

A Peanut Butter sandwich and goldfish crackers are my staple lunch when I'm at work.

Yes, there is a reason I've gained ten pounds since I moved out of my parents' house.

I grew up eating home grown, home processed, and home cooked (from scratch) meals. I miss it. Would really like to be able to do that myself one of these days, but for now...no time, space, or money.

Old 07-28-2013, 04:47 PM
Love My Mutt <3

My first answer, going by the title of the thread, was "insert food in mouth, chew, swallow".

I'm Pescatarian. I eat anything 100% plant based, and anything that spends 100% of it's time underwater (seafood).

I wholeheartedly do not enjoy the taste of other meats. It's not an issue of just not having it cooked well... I've tried it many places, and my dad and I was a cook. I just... Don't enjoy it.

Other than that, I make everything from scratch, 98% of the time. Including stuff like pasta, bread, etc. I have bad enough allergies to... Well, everything, that it's just easier to know exactly what is going in it, and eating it fresh. I also have some intolerance issues going on to gluten, but I'm less good about that... Things like pizza, I just can't live without. And I don't want gluten-free pizza LOL

I'm not 100% by any means, except for eating pescatarian. I eat processed/boxed/prepared foods at times, and suffer for it. But, by far, moat of my meals are home cooked from scratch.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-28-2013, 05:04 PM
Top Dog

I live in alberta, I grew up on red meat and I fraking LOVE it...but most of my diet now is chicken, I allow myself to have red meat 1-2 times a month, so its always the BEST red meat, Alberta grown AAA tenderloin.

I am also 80/20, or try to be now, the eat whenever whatever lead me to be 350lbs after my dad died so now i watch it as much as i can. It wasnt even being that size that really bothered me, it was the not being able to do ANYTHING, i ended up with foot issues as well. I just dont want to go back to that.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:17 PM
Big Dog

I eat a very healthy, low fat and balanced gluten-free diet. Gluten-free, because I'm intolerant. Healthy and balanced because I'm losing weight (80 lbs so far) and want to live a long, healthy life. Right now, I'm even counting calories on MyFitnessPal (tomorrow is my weigh-in day). I cook everything we eat except for maybe six times a year when we go out.

The food I eat most is vegetables. Lots of salads and huge sides of vegetables. I eat brown rice and quinoa in moderation. For protein, I eat turkey, chicken, fish, bison and egg whites with the occasional egg and a tiny bit of cheese. A little fruit maybe once a day. No crap food.

I eat very little bread, pasta, white potato and prepared foods.
Old 07-28-2013, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

Uh, I try to eat veggies daily. Doesn't always happen. I don't eat much meat, but I also don't make up for the protein loss by eating other foods.

Basically, I eat a very unbalanced diet. I AM trying to do better but, it's a work in progress.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 07-28-2013, 05:27 PM
Top Dog

When I can afford it (time, money, and energy wise) I eat a balanced diet. Otherwise I eat whatever. My mom usually cooks dinner, but her meals are VERY carb-heavy. A typical meal it something like chicken and rice and corn. Or steak and bread and potatoes. To her, "vegetable" means "anything that comes directly from a plant" even if it's corn or potatoes. Last night was chicken and cornbread and baked beans.

Lately for lunches I've been making some of those pasta-on-the-side or rice-on-the-side things and adding chicken and vegetables to make it at least somewhat healthy.

I'd love to do keto again, I felt AMAZING on it and lost a ton of weight. But it's expensive, because meat and vegetables are both expensive.

When I live on my own, I had a much better diet, since I could use the kitchen whenever and however I want. I usually had tuna or chicken or something for lunch, and fish or chicken with vegetables and a bit of rice for dinner. Still not perfect, but much better than now. Snacks are my downfall...I'm currently gorging myself on puppy chow.

I rarely eat breakfast. I try, but I either forget or feel like crap and don't want it. I'm NOT a morning person, and I feel physically ill most mornings. Once I'm up and around it's fine, but the thought of eating...NO. I've tried to do shakes, bars, yogurt, nothing really works. I've even tried just some V8 Splash for breakfast, and although it's tolerable, it's not exactly healthy. But then i get to be STARVING by 10am and at that point I can't eat because I'm covered in various animal excrement and food just doesn't work in that environment. If I get a real zoo job in a different department, break time is at 10am, so that would work out perfectly - I could bring breakfast and eat it at break when I'm hungry (the entire zoo except for my department and the restaurant/guest services goes on break at 10am and 3pm every single day for 20-30 minutes with very few exceptions).

I feel like if I had a more set schedule with work, I'd be a whole lot better at eating right. And if I had my own kitchen to do what I want in. And more money. When I was on food stamps for 6 months a few years ago I actually managed to eat a pretty balanced diet.

When I was giving plasma, I ate a lot of protein out of necessity. I think I should start doing that again (both the plasma and the protein, because the plasma pays for the protein )