Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-28-2013, 04:39 PM
Top Dog

Aren't you guys talking about two different airlines... Alaska and American Airlines?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 07-28-2013, 04:42 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Aren't you guys talking about two different airlines... Alaska and American Airlines?
Hells bells, you're right. I read AA as Alaska Airlines not American Airlines.

Sorry!
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-28-2013, 04:50 PM
such sights to show you

I have no experience but the thought of flying with two cats in one carrier... oh dear god.

Old 07-28-2013, 06:34 PM
Top Dog

I think all the airlines require you to use actual bolts to hold the crate together. I purchased some metal ones, for extra security. I do use zip ties on the corners of the crate (there are extra holes there), and to hold the door shut. I have hand releasable zip ties, so they don't have to be cut off.

When I flew back from Florida in December, the baggage folk at the airline put their own zipties on the door before I could get to it, and they turned out to not be the hand releasable style, so I almost panicked when I landed in Seattle (flew out of Seattle to get a direct flight). Fortunately, an agility friend who was also on the flight had some scissors in her checked bag which she loaned me.
Old 07-28-2013, 06:57 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Hells bells, you're right. I read AA as Alaska Airlines not American Airlines.

Sorry!
Hahaha. I thought you were correcting me, and I thought I was an idiot and pestered American Airlines to death for no reason over the Pit flying.

Ta da! I'll show myself out.
Old 07-28-2013, 07:26 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Dogs do a lot better flying than most people think.

If you plan on flying your dog as baggage I dont think you can book ahead so you do run the risk of not getting on the plane with your dog. Shipping as cargo is more expensive but you can book it ahead of time.

Avoid Delta, I have heard so many bad stories about them.

I flew Solo with Philippine Air and then Air Canada. They were great. I also used a company to set it all up for me though, ww.animaltravel.com/

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-28-2013, 07:27 PM
dogstrong

I can't word anything for ****, but thank you all for responding. Here is the situation:

Two cats. They will be flying in cabin with us, probably in separate crates. They ride together in crates when going to the vet, but I have no issue separating them since we can put the crates right next to each other. They are brother and sister. The brother is extremely fearful and has a slight heart murmur. I'll be consulting a vet (or five) about the possibility of sedating him during the flight. If that is a no go, does anyone have any natural anxiety treatments that help cats? His sister I'm not concerned about at all. If flying him is not feasible, is there a better way to get him through the 3000 mile trip?

One dog, Bloo. Bloo has a shortish snout for a pittie (primarily because of her underbite), but I don't believe she's considered brachy, just a "snub nosed" dog. What is the difference between "checked baggage" and "cargo" when it comes to dogs? Is it better to ship her on a separate airline? What airlines would you suggest? We were going to go with Delta, but I want what's best for my animals.

Flyin', how tall are your guys? Bloo is pretty short, and 37lbs. I think I sticked her at 17".

Does anyone have a suggestion for brand of crate, both for Bloo and the cats?

Equinox Shadow Of A Hero CGC "Shadow"
Equinox Ain't No Rest For The Wicked CGC "Embyr"
Equinox Play Me Some Mountain Music "Copper"
Equinox Don't Feed It After Midnight "Bloo"
Old 07-28-2013, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
If you plan on flying your dog as baggage I dont think you can book ahead so you do run the risk of not getting on the plane with your dog.
You can definitely book ahead, or at least Frontier let me. I booked about a month in advance. They encourage booking as early as possible to ensure a spot for your dog.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
You can definitely book ahead, or at least Frontier let me. I booked about a month in advance. They encourage booking as early as possible to ensure a spot for your dog.
Ditto, I flew my cat as carryon and booked it like a month and a half ahead of time
Old 07-28-2013, 08:16 PM
Puppy Dog

I don't know anything about cats, but about Bloo...how warm is it where you are? It it is over 85 degrees F, I would reconsider bringing Bloo cargo because it will get warm in the cargo hold between boarding and taking off, and again between landing and being taken off the plane (aka while the plane is sitting on the ground). Mollie was shipped cargo (accidentally) around October with her brother when she was traveling from Florida to California to get to us. Poor thing, she had to go through all kinds of forklifts and other situations before she got to us...it was the breeder's mistake that she wasn't shipped in the cabin.

But that's OK--she's fine now--and I'm sure Bloo will do just great if you know how she's being shipped. Good luck!

Proud Mum of a beautiful Lab girl, Mollie <3