Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-28-2013, 12:33 PM
Active Pup

Hey guys,

This might actually not be helpful to the OP since I DID have my dog in cabin, but I find on the internet there is a lot of "OMG DON'T SEDATE YOUR DOGS" and I do know the AVMA's stance is similar. That being said, if your dog panics, you might want to consider something like xanax or homeopathic.

The reason I say this is, on the one flight from ON to AB I took with my dog, he went completely crazy on no meds. He hyperventilated, got very hot, and passed out There is no worse feeling than worrying your dog is dead in his carrier 30,000 feet in the air, let me tell you. Because I was just visiting and we had to fly back a month later, on the way home we had to do something, so took him to my parent's vet and tried a few weeks on that "nutritional supplement" you can get from the vet made of milk casein? Oh gosh what is it called...I can't remember.

Anyway, as a backup, we got ace. I know ... not a great choice. But this vet in this other province didn't prescribe things like xanax, so we had some as a back up, and tried a small dose on him a few days before the flight to ensure he didn't have an adverse reaction. He slept calmly.

Was it a perfect flight home? No ... ace seems to be a chemical restraint, so he did "break through" a couple times. But he did not panic, hyperventilate, pass out, or tear a hole through his carrier or scream during the flight. He slept more comfortably for longer stretches of time.

Naturally you need to do what is best for your dog with the info you have, and work with your vet. I'm simply saying that if Bloo panics, you might want to consider *something* (and hopefully something better than ace, I am NOT here to spout the awesomeness of that drug as I don't believe it myself). A friend's dog that flew in cargo broke a few teeth trying to get out of his crate. So while sedation is a no ... something to help relax the animal MIGHT be a consideration.

Do what is best for you Just my two cents. And in case it was a question, I won't be flying with my doggie again It's road trips for us from now on!

Take care and good luck on your move!
Old 07-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

I just flew Elsa to her adopter on American Airlines. The booking experience was highly unpleasant. They initially didn't respond to my request, changed the price quote, and then booked her on the wrong day- but luckily that was fixed when we showed up. Otherwise she was on her flight quickly, left on time, arrived on time, and all was well.

Her ticket was $272. The airline crate we bought at $100, $20 for the health certificate and whatever state requirements for travel are are- AA didn't check in the slightest so null and void there. Without all the extras (had to drive to Chicago, but obviously I was not going with her) it was somewhere in the $400 neighborhood.

I went at this blind so it was probably a bigger pain in the ass than I needed. Frequently when I asked friends for advice I was told DON'T FLY YOUR DOG WILL DIE so people were super helpful on that front. I learned to make the reservation before buying the crate- some planes can't take cargo of certain heights/widths. The zip ties were provided for us and required by the airline. Every thing else they had in a handy dandy kit at PetSmart. The absorbent material they provided seemed super chincy so I put it with pee pads under a crate mattress. Bag of food taped on the top.

I'm the one who sedated. It was a risk I was willing to take for her travel. Xanax for the anxiety, a little Ace for the sleepy. She was conscious and alert but calm for the flight. AA required a form stating what medication she was on and I hear some airlines require a veterinarian signed form as well.

Last edited by ThoseWordsAtBest; 07-28-2013 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:04 PM
Glutton for Crazy

I was crazy impressed with the adaptal collar, I recommend it as something to try before drugs. Shamoo has broken out of crates before, in fact below is her daily crate (sorry, we're painting, don't mind the clutter). For a long time she destroyed bedding(hence the clothes scraps), she drools with anxiety (hence the pan), and she is like a velociraptor who'll test for weaknesses in all crates(see clips). That said we've been working for a long time to rectify the issue and that surely helped but the biggest help IMO was the fact I gave her a ton of stuffed toys and chewies (again, check with the airline and approach TSA with confidence of having called prior) and the adaptal collar which looks like a flea collar (I never, ever trusted DAP diffusers nor sprays). Shamoo arrived in Alaska barking but sans drool flowing out of the door, which she's disgustingly well known for at work, and absolutely no chewing on the crate. On the return flight, to portland, believe it or not she was just chilling, not even barking.

Because it was such short notice she flew in Backups crate, it's a pet mate 400, it was huge for her but it worked. If I had more time I may have looked for heavy duty crate.

They did tell me zipties are not allowed but I would ask again, it could be per airline.

Her house crate. Clips, a drool pan, and it's old as heck but we have never been ever to find another one of these heavy bar wires.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:17 PM
Crazy Dog!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
They did tell me zipties are not allowed but I would ask again, it could be per airline.
Did they say no zip ties to keep the door closed? or?

Last time I flew a dog it was Alaska, and when I buy a Vari-Kennel I immediately throw out the screws and bolts that hold the crate together. I zip tie all my crates closed, but of course, I have no need to zip tie the door shut. Just wondering because they didn't say anything to me about the zip ties.

If all goes well in a couple weeks I may be flying a puppy using Alaska airlines. This will be the first time I didn't accompany the dog. When I flew Zen home I went and picked him up and he rode under my seat. When we went back to his breeders for a herding clinic he flew in cargo, but I was on the same plane.

Also, I taped food on Zen's crate and if I remember right someone said it "wasn't necessary", but I left it on there. When I picked him up the food was gone, and I highly doubt they fed him on a 4 hr flight. I did give him a chewie and a dose of Rescue Remedy before the flight.
Old 07-28-2013, 01:56 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Their website says no zipties instead of bolts and I saw a woman have to remove them and buy bolts from the airline to replace them (when leaving AK). That said they said no to zip tying as an extra door security.

Also they said its required to have food, precautionary and all. Again this was my only experience but I read their website about 500 times and called probably 20, I was so nervous.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:13 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

AA required the kennel to be bolted, but the zip ties went in the extra holes around the cage door. The food also wasn't necessary and they had me note on what time to feed her only if she ended up delayed. They assured me they would never open the kennel so I'm curious to how they would have fed her. Just cramming the food between the bars? I was terrified of the whole idea of any one even thinking to open the crate so I got a note from our vet OKing not to feed her on the flight when it didn't matter in the end.

Delta doesn't fly Pits, by the way. Most of the airlines I looked up didn't fly any "snub nosed" breeds. AA also has the same restrictions but an AA shipping manager assured me that I could fly Elsa, that terrier mix was acceptable, etc. When the woman looked through the kennel and I got her out of the crate before flight she said "Oh a little Pit Bull!" and my heart fell out of my ass. Then nothing happened and they loaded her up.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:20 PM
Glutton for Crazy

AA says they fly all snub nose dogs "at the owners risk".

From their website: Pets in the Baggage and Cargo Compartments

Alaska Airlines accepts most small domesticated pets. Other pets may be accepted with approval. Pets that may travel in the climate-controlled baggage and cargo compartments include: cats, dogs, ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters, household birds, non-poisonous reptiles, pot bellied pigs, rabbits, and tropical fish.

The following regulations apply:

Dogs and cats must be at least eight (8) weeks of age and weaned.
No more than one (1) live dog or cat, 6 months of age or older, may be transported in the same kennel.
No more than one (1) live puppy, 8 weeks to 6 months of age, and weighing over 20 lbs, may be transported in the same kennel.
No more than two (2) live puppies or kittens, 8 weeks to 6 months of age, that are of comparable size, and weighing 20 lbs or less each, may be transported in the same kennel.
Animals must be harmless, inoffensive (not destructive to itself or the kennel), and require no attention during transit.

The health of your pet is important. Due to health risks that could potentially result in the death of the animal, brachycephalic (shortnose) dogs/cats are only accepted for travel at owner's risk and excess valuation is not available. The following is a list of the affected breeds:

Dogs: American Pit Bull, American Staffordshire, Boston Terrier, Brussels Griffin, Bull Mastiff, Bull Terrier, Chow Chow, Dutch Pug, English Bulldog, English Toy Spaniel, French Bulldog, Japanese Boxer, Japanese Spaniel, Pekinese Pug, Shih Tzu, Staffordshire Bull Terrier, Terrier, Bulldog, Pug, Boxer.
Cats: Burmese, Exotic, Himalayan, Persian.

ETA look for pet embargo dates. Most airlines ARE climate controlled in the baggage area but they won't accept liability during the hotter and colder times of the year, this didn't show as an issue for Shamoo but it was an issue when cargo shipping Sloan and B from their breeders.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:31 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

"American Airlines will not accept brachycephalic or snub-nosed dogs and cats as checked luggage. The following is a list of brachycephalic dog breeds and any "mix" of will not be accepted"

I didn't fly with her so she wasn't checked luggage but rather shipping, so different? The whole process was utterly confusing and I hope to never fly a dog ever again, lol.
Old 07-28-2013, 02:45 PM
Glutton for Crazy

That is odd but there is definitely a difference between cargo and baggage, primarily the cost and waiting due to outside location of drop off and pick up, I hope to stick to baggage because it felt much safer.

Old 07-28-2013, 02:53 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

I wonder why it would be at your own risk otherwise, but not for luggage. I'd call and ask but god knows what answer I'd come back with. The reason my experience was largely so awful was because I think I spoke to at least 5 or 6 different people and got 5 or 6 different answers.

It all and all ended up fine, but yeah, hope to avoid it in the future. I plan to fly with Jonas within the next few months or so but he is small enough to fly with me in the cabin.