Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Health Care

Old 07-27-2013, 12:21 PM
Big Dog

Question Feeding Before and After Exercise? (Bloat concern)

I used to leave 2-3 hours between eating and exercise for the dogs, but B'asia started turning down her morning meal because she got so hungry, she lost her appetite. So, I started feeding them as soon as I get up (about 5 AM) and then exercising a little later. Trouble is, if I wait too much later, it's too hot for anyone to have any fun and they just roam from tree shade to tree shade waiting for me to take them back in.

These guys don't do anything too strenuous in the morning, just a mile or so hiking and some fetching thrown in. But I'm wondering how safe it is to feed them and do this, say, an hour later...

How long do you all wait after feeding to exercise your dogs? And what is considered safe?

Thanks!
Old 07-27-2013, 01:01 PM
orange iguanas.

I have honestly never worried about it. Granted, boxers aren't very prone to bloating, but still. Personally its not something I would stress about or rearrange my schedule over.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-27-2013, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Honestly, I dont do the typical rest for hours that most dane people suggest. I am not going to go do a hard core session with them right after a heavy meal but I will let them run and wrestle, etc. I watch them for how they are feeling.
Old 07-27-2013, 01:35 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I normally give them about a half hour before we do anything after breakfast (including running around themselves), but any hardcore exercise is done in the evening before they have dinner.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 07-27-2013, 01:41 PM
Top Dog

I no longer feed on a strict schedule, so it is really whenever I feel it is best. He only gets fed once a day now so it is easy to work around.
Old 07-27-2013, 03:18 PM
Big Dog

Thanks for the input. I think an hour or so after breakfast is probably just fine, considering they don't do a lot of strenuous stuff.

Lyz, I love your signature! Zander is such a pretty boy!
Old 07-27-2013, 03:55 PM
Bite me.

I feed twice a day, so a couple of cups of dog food on the stomach while working I'm OK with. I do try to not feed RIGHT before working dogs, but 30 minutes or an hour to me is plenty of time.

On the reverse, I wait until the dog is completely back to normal. No panting, rested, and water intake back to normal. Once this happens, I am ok feeding.
Old 07-27-2013, 04:51 PM
Not a Border Collie

I like to wait about an hour after she eats before she goofs around or does any kind of work or exercise.

After exercise I'm not quite as picky about - I don't have a time I follow but I wait until she's rested, not breathing hard, and has had a drink at least 15 minutes prior.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-28-2013, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

I feed them twice a day. I try to never let Enda get to much exercise or excitement right after eating, or she throws up, every time never fails (my strange dog), but I do find that about a half hour is good, an hour is better before "heavy" activity. I never have to worry about the totally lax nature boys.
Old 08-25-2013, 08:30 PM
~Lisa~

I only wait about 20mins before a walk. but their walks early in they am consist of onleash walk around the 'hood about 3kms. So Im not worried. I do make them wait about 20mins anytime after a meal before doing anything. I, not to worried about bloat. just I think they should relax a bit to let it all digest