Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 08-12-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm All Ears

Default Mia and raw

I thought I'd ask around and get some ideas. Anyone feed a toy dog raw? I've fed raw off and on before, our show handler fed Beau raw and he looked GREAT. Summer is virtually impossible to feed raw to. She is an incredibly picky eater and I have never found a way to get her to eat a balanced diet. Ground meat? Yep. Bone? Nope. Organ? Nope. And to top it off she doesn't hold enough weight on. She's doing fabulous on her mostly kibble with some canned and some raw supplements diet. I'm happy with her the way she is.

But Mia gets fat on kibble. Even cutting kibble down she gets fat. On raw she looks much better. I want to switch her back as raw as possible. Here's my issues:

1. Toy dogs seem hard to balance raw without a food processor. What do you guys feed your less than 10 lb dogs per meal?

2. We train. A lot. Almost daily. I'm not sure how to switch her to raw when I have very limited calories to work with and many days all she eats is through training. For training we use primarily kibble (Go! and Acana right now), Ziwipeak (which is a dehydrated raw but not 'real raw), and sometimes other food like chicken or hot dog (sparingly). She also likes the raw bites from Stella and Chewy's and the ones that are pure meat but they're expensive and we go through treats fast. Ziwipeak is $30 a bag but lasts a while. However, it is very dense. 8 lb dog though is pretty limited on amount of food she can take in, unlike a larger breed would be.

I don't have the option of a co-op yet. And a very small freezer space to boot. At least till I move.
Old 08-12-2013, 11:48 AM
& the Muttly Crew

Is that show handler still around? Could you contact him?

I know briteday fed her toy dogs raw but haven't seen her around the net in quite a while...

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 08-12-2013, 12:07 PM
Slave to the Aussie

Zoe is getting Darwin's premade raw right now.

When I give her home put together raw I basically give her what Abe gets but just cut it down. I have a little bone saw thing that cuts ribs easily to make them her size.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:24 PM
Top Dog

I dont have a toy dog obviously but know people who do. My aunt just feeds a prepackaged raw but others, well, they do it the same really, balance over time.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:29 PM
Top Dog

With a dog that small, I'd probably do premade. It would be hard to balance when you're working with such a small amount of food.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:41 PM
I'm All Ears

Yeah I'm thinking premade or grinds is the way we will have to go. Not sure how to do that with as much training as we do though. :/

Shai the handler is around but I don't have her info at the moment. I bet I could find her through her kennel though. But iirc she only fed chicken which seems unbalanced to me.
Old 08-12-2013, 03:57 PM
Top Dog

Primal and Stella & Chewy's both have freeze-dried versions of their raw diets that are complete and balanced. Maybe you could cut those up and use them as training treats? That way on days where you're doing a lot of training, she's still getting a "meal" so to speak. And then on training-light days you could just feed the frozen.

Stella & Chewy's freeze-dried comes in 16oz bags and retails (at least up here) for about $30. Primal comes in 14oz bags and retails for about $25. Not terribly cheap, but probably wouldn't be terribly expensive either since she's so small!
Old 08-27-2013, 06:31 PM
Puppy Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
I thought I'd ask around and get some ideas. Anyone feed a toy dog raw? I've fed raw off and on before, our show handler fed Beau raw and he looked GREAT. Summer is virtually impossible to feed raw to. She is an incredibly picky eater and I have never found a way to get her to eat a balanced diet. Ground meat? Yep. Bone? Nope. Organ? Nope. And to top it off she doesn't hold enough weight on. She's doing fabulous on her mostly kibble with some canned and some raw supplements diet. I'm happy with her the way she is.

But Mia gets fat on kibble. Even cutting kibble down she gets fat. On raw she looks much better. I want to switch her back as raw as possible. Here's my issues:

1. Toy dogs seem hard to balance raw without a food processor. What do you guys feed your less than 10 lb dogs per meal?

2. We train. A lot. Almost daily. I'm not sure how to switch her to raw when I have very limited calories to work with and many days all she eats is through training. For training we use primarily kibble (Go! and Acana right now), Ziwipeak (which is a dehydrated raw but not 'real raw), and sometimes other food like chicken or hot dog (sparingly). She also likes the raw bites from Stella and Chewy's and the ones that are pure meat but they're expensive and we go through treats fast. Ziwipeak is $30 a bag but lasts a while. However, it is very dense. 8 lb dog though is pretty limited on amount of food she can take in, unlike a larger breed would be.

I don't have the option of a co-op yet. And a very small freezer space to boot. At least till I move.
Stella and Chewy's treats are ridiculously expensive.
You can make your own and it's so cheap; chop some chicken and liver, form into small pieces and dehydrate or put in the over at very low temperature to evaporate the water content.
Roger Biduk