Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-28-2013, 11:38 AM
Top Dog

Ma'ii came to us as Marlin, which right from the start didn't settle with me because it sounded to close to Merlin, which is my uncle's name. We kept it for several months, and when I couldn't stand it anymore, I changed it to Ma'ii. We live in the deserts of AZ, right on the edge of the Navajo reservation, so I wanted something to go with that theme. Ma'ii means "coyote" in Navajo, which is also my totem animal.

I don't regret it, though I do get weird looks from Navajo people when I tell them his name. The name is associated with bad luck. I think I've been pretty lucky though

As for Charlotte, my husband named her before we met. It wouldn't have been my first choice, but it's not really my say in the matter.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 07-28-2013, 12:23 PM
Big Dog

I wish I had shortened B'asia to just Asia. People have a hard time with the pronunciation (it's just Asia with a B). But they want to call her Basha or Bahzsa.

The other names, I'm pretty happy with. I chose Cara and Mia's names long before I got them. Caramia is "my heart" or "my beloved" in Italian and I thought it would make cute name for twins or litter mates, as it turns out.

I have lots of ideas for my next dog, if I ever get another one.
Old 07-28-2013, 08:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Personally, I think the name Mollie suits Mollie to a T. My mom almost named her Milly Molly Mandy gosh I'm so glad she didn't.

Proud Mum of a beautiful Lab girl, Mollie <3
Old 07-28-2013, 08:31 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LabLover95 View Post
Personally, I think the name Mollie suits Mollie to a T. My mom almost named her Milly Molly Mandy gosh I'm so glad she didn't.
Oh my god, I loved those stories when I was little. My Mum wanted to kill me though, because they're so freaking boring she would hate reading them to me.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 07-28-2013, 08:54 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Not sure why, since her name is obviously going to be Dan.
I don't know what I'd do without you to remind me of this.

Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 07-28-2013, 09:05 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
Ma'ii came to us as Marlin, which right from the start didn't settle with me because it sounded to close to Merlin, which is my uncle's name.
..you have an uncle named Merlin? I WANT AN UNCLE NAMED MERLIN!

I had no idea Merlin was a commonly used person name!

..this changes everything.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 07-29-2013, 12:10 AM
Top Dog

I'd thought Dance might be called Aero. I don't even know why, but for some reason that's what I thought my first Toller's name would be. I had a few others picked out too, but I can't remember what they were. I am glad I stumbled randomly upon the name Dance though. It's perfect for her, is super unique, and I really can't picture her as anything else. It's my favourite name of any of the names my dogs have had.

Journey was tough. I'd come to know her as Nina, but really didn't like the name. It did somehow suit her though, just because of the familiarity and what I was used to knowing her as. I was thinking she might be River or Tehya, both names I still do like for the right dog, but they just didn't seem right for her. I played around with some other names that I'd had on my "list of future dog names" and Journey happened to be one and it just stuck. I can't picture her as anything else. I love her name. She doesn't get called by her whole name very often, but it suits her very well I think. More often than not I shorten it to Journ though, just because I prefer one syllable names. But I think she gets called Jelly and Jelly Bean and other variations of that most of the time haha.

I didn't have any other names picked out for Ripley. We'd joked about calling him Nigel, but I couldn't actually bring myself to call him that permanently lol. I was trying to think of different names for him but my mom picked the name Ripley and was pretty persistent that that would be his name. And so it was. I'm still not a big fan. Just something about saying it that I don't find flows smoothly, but it works. He's a dog I think that could be called many names though. So many names I think of on a whim could suit him for some reason.

Keira was impossible to name. We finally just settled on Keira because we really couldn't think of and agree on anything. I really like it though and think it's a very pretty name for her.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 07-29-2013, 09:40 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I should have named Joey Shark lol. His teeth omg lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 07-29-2013, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

We have a list for dogtwo, including but not limited to, Pork Chop, Pox, Hops, Dex, Frostbite & Flare. Unfortunately Skully was vetoed I'll be curious as to what name we choose when the day comes.

I just looked at the limited list we had for Crossbone ---- Cowboy, Pirate & Crossbone were the only three names on it. People think we say "Crossbow" and are like, woah! Sweet name! Then we correct them and they just stare blankly!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador
Old 07-29-2013, 10:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
..you have an uncle named Merlin? I WANT AN UNCLE NAMED MERLIN!

I had no idea Merlin was a commonly used person name!

..this changes everything.
I have an aunt named Luna too

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb