Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2013, 07:13 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Nola has always been Nola. I kicked around a few others (Layla, Venice, Italy, Los Angels), but Nola was the only one that fit. I love New Orleans food, architecture and culture, so it fit perfectly.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 07-26-2013, 07:49 PM
orange iguanas.

I kind of forgot I had 3 dogs lol. Happy came named. I had no intention of changing it, since she just... IS Happy. Suits her so well.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-26-2013, 11:03 PM
Top Dog

Lucy was named when we adopted her at 3. I wanted to name her Hannah because we picked her up during hurricane Hannah, but Zach hates that name for some reason. Her official name is now Lucifer Hannah aka Lucy-bug

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 07-27-2013, 07:44 AM
Little dog, big voice

Cali was almost Shay, but everyone I knew preferred Cali, and it just fit her so much better.

Moses... was almost Jesus. That is what you get when you get a six year old a puppy and say that they can choose the name. My parents immediately veto'd that suggestion though and we compromised on Moses. I still remember going to church one morning when we first got him and the pastor asked the kids for bible related things starting with "M" and I yelled out, "Moses... my new DOG!"

So, very happy with the names I picked, considering the runner up names. I had changed my horse's name from Honey to Indie, just because I absolutely hated it.

The two and a half year old papillon. Crazy. Social butterfly. Clever.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:50 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Other half wanted to call Fred 'Plug'.

I never really gelled with Fred, but he's Fred now no matter what!
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-27-2013, 07:57 AM
Sit! Good dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cali Mae View Post
Cali was almost Shay, but everyone I knew preferred Cali, and it just fit her so much better.

Moses... was almost Jesus. That is what you get when you get a six year old a puppy and say that they can choose the name. My parents immediately veto'd that suggestion though and we compromised on Moses. I still remember going to church one morning when we first got him and the pastor asked the kids for bible related things starting with "M" and I yelled out, "Moses... my new DOG!"

So, very happy with the names I picked, considering the runner up names. I had changed my horse's name from Honey to Indie, just because I absolutely hated it.
My cat was called Jesus for a short time till we worked out he was a she, then she became jess.

That's what you get in a house full of 19yr old students lol
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-27-2013, 10:36 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Maddie was Maddie from the get-go. Easiest naming Ill ever do... She was just an 8 week old pup, and as soon as the name Maddie came up, I knew that was IT.

Bailey... Poor Bailey. Spent the first two weeks or so in a strange house with me using different names all the time. She came to me as Shelby, and it just didn't suit her at all, I didn't like it. So I had several names, the top two being Bailey and Breagha (Bria ... Bree-uh). Then my Dad liked Bailey better, so I started to, too. Then I used about 1284821 different spellings of Bailey Bayleigh Baylee etc
Sometimes I still catch myself thinking Breagha in my head. I like that name a lot , I think I'll use it for one of my future dogs for sure it's a smidge too pretty and sweet for ditzy quirky Bailey though LOL

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-27-2013, 10:41 AM
rotties are my kryptonite

I have this whole list of XMen-centric names for my future dogs. A female Rottie was to be Ada (short for adamantium), and a male was supposed to be The Professor, Xavier, Remy, Gambit, Logan, etc...

But when I adopted the current Rotties, Ada & any of the male names didn't fit. Kaia was Candy at the shelter & Dulcie in rescue. I don't even particularly like her name, but she definitely wasn't an Ada. I tried several other names on her, but Kaia was the only thing that fit. Gunnar was Gunni at the shelter & in rescue, and it sorta just fit him. Mostly, we call the Biggie & Smalls, or Mr. Big & Kai.

Clyde was supposed to be something like Nubbin or Snorfles. The SO named him Clyde after the orangutan in that old Eastwood movie, Every Which Way But Loose. Mostly, he was called Flower, because he was my delicate little flower. His PAL name was JBG's It's Clobberin' Time.

I think Nat used to be Queenie or Princess or something equally dumb. The SO named her after a Bob Marley song, Natty Dreads, after Nat fell into the lake and surfaced looking like some type of dreaded monster.

Zellie was Capers when we got her, and I wanted to name her Daisy or something like that... but SO said she looked like Rapunzel, and named her that. Zellie what we have always called her though.

StiXxX was Ricky at the shelter, and I desperately wanted to name him Gremlin or Charles. Once again, SO won and his name is StiXxX. I think that the SO actually spells it Sticks, but eff that.
my delicate little flower

Old 07-27-2013, 11:06 AM
Not a Border Collie

I'm happy with Quinn's name. She came as Amy, which I liked and suited her (still does) but I knew some human Amys and I wanted something more uncommon. Other names I was considering were Lena, Ruby, and Riata. I'm glad I didn't go with Riata - it is too harsh and not feminine enough for her. Ruby is common and Next Dog's name will start with the Roo sound so I'm VERY happy I passed on Ruby. Quinn actually gets called Ruby a lot, shortened from her dumb nickname Quinn-a-Roo. Lena I love, it has a lot of personal meaning to me and I think it would actually fit her very well. I passed on it because I have a Lizzy and a Lani (horses). I would like to use it in the future though and it follows the same theme as Quinn (named after badass cutting horses!).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emily View Post
I liked Astrid a lot too, but then I couldn't stop thinking of The Office, and Michael calling the baby "Astird" ("ass-turd") instead.
OMG I just burst out laughing. This happens to me every time I hear Astrid - I think "Assturd" because of Michael. I'm so glad I'm not the only one who does that.
I love the name Blossom, for the record!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-27-2013, 11:32 AM
Top Dog

Gambit came as Johnathon. Not even Johnny, which might have been cute, but Johnathon. I changed it to Token, after also considering Tug, Danner, Gideon, and Coda. After two weeks Token didn't fit, so I went with Gambit. No regrets, though it took me way too long to figure out Gambit was an x- men character

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.