Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-26-2013, 09:15 AM
Top Dog

I haven't named any of my dogs ever They have them or my wife does. I got to name a cat once when I was a little kid, he was Kit cat. and I named one of our 4, Lester Well 3 cats I guess. our old guy said goodbye last Friday. The coolest ****ing cat I ever knew.

but I probably wouldn't change any of them anyway.
Old 07-26-2013, 09:28 AM
<(<) <()> (>)>

Gipsy was names after the Gipsy Kings. She almost became a Lilly, and boy, she was NOT a Lilly. her name suited her perfectly. Her registared name ended up being a mix out of her namesake and our old neighbourhood. "Gipsy Queen of Highwoods"

Zora... well her name was HARD. We had a list going for names before we even knew she was even concieved. We "had" to choose 2 names, so that didn't make it any easier. She had to have a "C" name for her registared name, so that took a really long time. At the end it was between Chika & Chinook. I Vetoed Chika (because blech) and she because "Chinook de la Foret de Thuringe" (de la Foret de Thuringe is her kennel name). I LOVE the name Chinook and for a while we were just going to call her Chinook... but then decided to make things easier for everyone and decied on an easier name. Ended up having to choose between Zora and Aimee. Zora stuck and it fits that dog way to good.

Oh and Snoopy (the bunny) came with the name Snoopy. It just kind of stuck... dunno why. I would have named Fridolin.

You are the whisper in the wind, and the silence in dark.
You are the autumn rain, and the spring flowers.
You are the joy when I laugh, and the sorrow when I cry.
You are the earth beneath my feet, and the air in the sky
But most of all, you are my heart.
Run free, Beautiful Girl.
Old 07-26-2013, 11:06 AM
Top Dog

Henry was very nearly Harry. When I suggested Harry, my mom wasn't crazy about it, and suggested Henry instead, which was part of the registered name of her childhood beagle, Prince Henry. They had always called him Prince, though. My dad heard Henry and immediately said, "Oh, like the Henry rifle. Cool!" So Henry stuck. But it fits him extremely well so I'm happy.

Hopefully Rhys fits his name. He comes home Sunday and I love his name, which we arrived at after MUCH deliberation. His breeder has been calling him Rhys and thinks it fits him well His litter name was Podrick, so I promised to keep that as his 'middle' name, as I think it's super cute.

His registered name is going to be Skye's Heir of the Dragon.

Old 07-26-2013, 11:32 AM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Watson came to us with that call name and his registered name given by his breeder. I loved both... Watson is an awesome name. It made me think of every Sherlock Holmes story I had ever read as a kid...and of course being a since nerd my mind when to Watson and Crick immidiately

His registered name is Laurel'S Say What... There is no better name for a basenji. "Say what...I can't hear you!"

Menchi we named and some here recognized the play on the Anime Excel Saga. So yes her name came from an anime series.

It suits her well... You can often hear me call her Chichi as well.

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 07-26-2013, 11:55 AM
Top Dog

I honestly think Jackson was named Mason in another life.

I've had 3 people that have been around him often that accidentally call him Mason, ALL the time. lol. My dad has an employee that works out of our house and she's over every day and has often times mistakenly called him Mason. She's like WHY do I do that?! And then the other day one of my friends who I see often as well did the same thing (and the two don't know each other, or the fact that they both have called him Mason lol). then someone at the dog park did it once.

And honestly, I think he does kind of look like a Mason. I couldn't really picture him being anything else but Jackson (even from the time I had his picture, I tried other names, and kept coming back to Jackson).

So yeah if I could name him anything else, I think I'd have to go with Mason, LOL. Plus it comes out easier for some reason than Jackson. Sometimes Jackson seems too long, so I often just call him Jax.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-26-2013, 12:17 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
I honestly think Jackson was named Mason in another life.

I've had 3 people that have been around him often that accidentally call him Mason, ALL the time. lol. My dad has an employee that works out of our house and she's over every day and has often times mistakenly called him Mason. She's like WHY do I do that?! And then the other day one of my friends who I see often as well did the same thing (and the two don't know each other, or the fact that they both have called him Mason lol). then someone at the dog park did it once.

And honestly, I think he does kind of look like a Mason. I couldn't really picture him being anything else but Jackson (even from the time I had his picture, I tried other names, and kept coming back to Jackson).

So yeah if I could name him anything else, I think I'd have to go with Mason, LOL. Plus it comes out easier for some reason than Jackson. Sometimes Jackson seems too long, so I often just call him Jax.
That is so hilarious!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Abrams has always been an Abrams. When I was thinking of Future Puppy names, I wasn't having much luck. Mike is a big tank nerd, so I thought, "Well, we could name him after a tank. Especially since he'll be big!" I also read a breed description of Chessies being the "tank" of the retrievers. Mike gave me a ton of options, and Abrams and Sherman were my favorite, with Abrams being my number one pick. When we went to pick him up, we waited until we arrived home to officially name him, and Abrams it was.

Mom calls him Buster. *rolls eyes*

Old 07-26-2013, 01:01 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by JacksonsMom View Post
^This happened to me quite often with my horse. My old trainer seemed to think his name was Romeo. She couldn't help but call him Romeo, even though his name was Diego. I hated the name Diego, so I ended up changing it to Romeo. It was just so weird, as she was normally great with names.

Jackson would be an adorable Mason, fyi. Lol.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
https://www.facebook.com/trailingcattle
Old 07-26-2013, 01:07 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer came to me at 4 as Summer. I'd known her since she was a pup as Summer so changing it would have been weird even though I have a relative named Summer too.

Mia came to me as Gayla and that was just icky. She was almost named Spring or Bounce which are great names but sound way too nice for Mia. I had pretty much settled on Maya but wasn't really sold on it for her. My Dad suggested Mia and it just fit. Mia means mine/my an that's exactly what Mia is. Mia somehow fits her well even though its a little....proper for such a hooligan. She gets called Brat or You Little Fart more often than not anyways.

Last edited by Laurelin; 07-26-2013 at 01:21 PM.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:14 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Smalls was always going to be Smalls, before I even got a dog at all. Saved the name for years and she was my first dog, so she is Smalls. At the shelter she was Daisy or something that did not really suit the sort of names I like, so all the better.

District Attorney Jack McCoy was also another pre-picked name and it just happened to be perfect that an Elkhound ended up with it. His name at the rescue was Elwin. Do not like.

Now the first Dachshund I got was going to be named Handbanana, but when I found Jonas I couldn't do it. Jonas is my favorite male name and since I will never have kids it went right to a dog. In retrospect I wish I named him Guppy, but what can you. He was Sir Hot Cocoa at the rescue.

Magpie came as Magpie and will die as Magpie. I almost changed her name to Indie after we adopted her but Magpie stayed. I initially hated the name but now I can't see her as any thing else.

Shambles was Clove and I did not like his name. I considered naming him Havoc, but I've heard quite a few dogs with that name so I was stuck. Sassafras pulled out Shambles and **** it if it isn't perfect.

Elsa was named for Elsa the Lioness and her adopter has kept her name. She was "Lolly Doo" whatever the hell that means at the shelter.