Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2013, 08:56 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
I think the mini bull and german pinscher might be a bit more than I'm looking for.........they are both terriers yes?

The boston though, Hmmmm a terrier yes but a bit more mild, at least what I've seen of them in person
Oh my, every Boston I've ever met has been super high strung, very bouncy and head strong. I don't think mild when I think Boston ever, lol.

Brit & Jackson

Old 07-25-2013, 09:10 PM
Top Dog

My Shih Tzu/ toy poodle mix is pretty much all of that, with the exception of grooming. I find her coat to be fairly easy, but she gets professionally groomed every 8 weeks. If not for being clipped short, it'd be tough.

As far as the rest of it goes, she's 7.5 lbs, very easy as far as exercise needs. She likes to play with her toys, but she really doesn't demand any exercise at all. I can rev her up pretty easily, and we play fetch and agility, but she'd be just as happy being held like a baby honestly lol.

Also not much of a barker at all.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:26 PM
Uffda!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
The boston though, Hmmmm a terrier yes but a bit more mild, at least what I've seen of them in person
Mildness would really depend on the dog. There are some mild bostons (like my Joey). And there are some high strung and busy bostons (like my Lucy). They are all pretty goofy and love their people. Mine aren't big barkers unless there is someone at the door or a really loud strange noise. Grooming is incredibly easy. They can vary in sizes from about 15-25 lbs. Mine are both about 20.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

If you're considering Yorkies, you should consider Silkies as well. Similar, but a little bit bigger and sturdier.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:57 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Go up a few pounds and go for a Miniature Schnauzer (not like I'm biased). They have the most wonderful off-switch, we can hike for miles one day, and then laze about for a week and they'd be fine with it. Though they're not what I'd consider yappy, they will alert at most things.

Others I'd suggest would be Brussels, Dachshund, Toy or Mini Poodle (again you'd have to go higher than 10lbs for the Mini though may be slightly more active than you're looking for).
Old 07-25-2013, 10:00 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

What about a Coton? I'd avoid Dachshunds like the plague with your criteria.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 07-25-2013, 10:47 PM
Top Dog

We're big fans of Shih tzus here. I've rarely met an unpleasant one and they're happy go lucky little guys. Obviously we're fans of Poodles as well. Very fun dogs.

I'd suggest a Brussels Griffon as well..Nog is up for anything...be it a walk or a nap. Not demanding. Very, very pleasant little guy. And the other Brussels owners I've met have said the same about theirs. Also, everyone who meets him wants to take him home, so I'm guessing he comes off as pleasant to others as well, lol
Old 07-26-2013, 12:18 AM
Rude and Not Ginger

Definitely want to suggest a Havanese. Everyone I've met I've loved.
Old 07-26-2013, 12:43 AM
Twin 2.0

With the exception of the weight, I think a Cavalier might work well for you. Single coated, so just regular brushing to avoid tangles. Super cuddly, not all that barky from the ones I've been around. Then again, "barky" is measured against Aussies so...take that as you will.
Old 07-26-2013, 01:46 AM
Top Dog

I know a shih tzu in need of a home

Really, though, I've come to love shih tzus. Most of the ones I've met are very pleasant and just really laid back. I don't recall EVER meeting a nippy or barky one. And they look adorable shaved or with long hair.

I know two brussels. One is all OMG HI I LOVE YOU HOLD ME (he loves to be help on his back like a baby) and the other is pretty laid back. Both are very barky, though. But that's the extent of my experience with the breed. They're freaking adorable, though.