Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2013, 07:02 PM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Havanese (sp?) or Shih Tzu?

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 07-25-2013, 07:06 PM
Top Dog

My shih tzu, Bristol, is about 10-11lbs, never barks and doesn't even want to touch grass. Her brother, mother are both huge barkers, her mother is 17-18lbs and her brother is the same size as Bristol. My mother in laws was like 25lbs and barked her head off. But they are all very people orientated and easy to exercise. Bristol is great to travel with as well. And with a clipping every few weeks easy to care for grooming wise.

Have you looked at Brussles Griffons?
Old 07-25-2013, 07:29 PM
F150 and a .30-06

Given your Doberman experiance:

Mini Bull
Boston
German Pinscher

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 07-25-2013, 07:33 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Can you define excessive grooming? Because of those 4 breeds, at least 3 of them have what I think most people mean by excessive grooming needs.
I'm not afraid to learn to trim fur or I can have them professionally done, I defintely don't want a dog who only looks 'right' with a long coat. IMO, most of the breeds I listed look fine (cute even) being clipped reasonably short. Except papillon ear fur of course, LOL

Shih tzus are not out of the question, and no....have not even thought of a Brussels! *noted.

Havanese look awesome as well!

And ya, if Paps are excited barkers I don't think they'd be a good fit for us. That's sort of why we ruled out Chihuahuas (his parents, grand parents and sister all have them and whether typical or not, theirs are ALL obnoxious barkers! probably a lot due to poor training though) We go camping and there's lots of nature noise at night around our camper, we also have neighbors here at home that come and go night/day and I don't want a breed that can't be (easily) persuaded to ignore irrelevant noises.

I have not read or seen much of anything concerning Chins.....I'll get on that.

I'll admit that Yorkies are right up there. Very cute, they seem to be smart and compliant. Grooming seems reasonable if they are kept trimmed as well.

I do want to check out the brussels, chin, and havanese some more as well. I tell you, I'm getting all tickled and butterfly stomach just thinking of a new dog! WEEEEEE! LOL
Old 07-25-2013, 07:35 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by JennSLK View Post
Given your Doberman experiance:

Mini Bull
Boston
German Pinscher
I think the mini bull and german pinscher might be a bit more than I'm looking for.........they are both terriers yes?

The boston though, Hmmmm a terrier yes but a bit more mild, at least what I've seen of them in person
Old 07-25-2013, 07:37 PM
Top Dog

Oh min pins! I know some that are fantastic dogs, all from great breeders of course, but not huge barkers, fun loving good little temperaments wonderful dogs.
Old 07-25-2013, 07:58 PM
I'm All Ears

I think my bark-o-meter is broken. I didn't think my shelties barked too much at all and don't even hardly notice my current dogs. They're very good out in public (unless it's exciting like agility then they're barkbarkbark) Then I was thinking.... they barked when I got home, Mia screamed when I let her outside, then she barked when she got bored outside, she barked at where she thinks the mouse is, she barked at me to play tennis ball, she whined the entire way to the park (and Summer woofed), and then whined the way back home, barked when we pulled into the neighborhood, then went racing through the house barking at Beau and Rose in the kennel when we got inside....

You mean there are dogs that don't do that!? I honestly rarely even notice it anymore.

I will say my two are a lot barkier than the other three.

My vote is Havanese. Someone needs a havanese on here. Cavalier would work too but the health problems make them hard for me to recommend.

Min pins are in my experience very high strung and barkers. Yorkies in my experience are also fairly barky. Bostons are fun but also pretty high energy. Very much like a small boxer.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:02 PM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
It depends if you're willing to get the dog professionally groomed regularly. If you are, papillons would have the most excessive grooming needs there. A yorkie or poodle could be clipped short and only need to go in every 6-8 weeks, possibly slightly longer if you got them cut short and let it grow out a bit.
I don't think papillons have NEAR the grooming needs of those breeds. My two dogs are lucky if they see a brush once a month.
Old 07-25-2013, 08:28 PM
LABRADERP!

Oh how could I forget!!!

A Toy Machester Terrier!!!!

Carter's Snowfall Banshee Scream - "Takoda"
03/22/2010
The Blonde Labraderp mix!

Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin - "Beau"
Forever in my heart. I love you and miss you everyday Beagle Boy
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 07-25-2013, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

First thing that came to my mind was definitely Havanese. I also thought of Chihuahua's for sure. Chi's seem to be pretty capable of doing stuff, but also very capable of burrowing in the couch for days with you too if necessary. Also pretty much no grooming.

I do think the right yorkie could be a good fit too! They ARE terriers, but honestly most yorkies I meet are pretty un-terrier like. Some are, but most are very happy as house pets. Jackson is very much not a typical yorkie at all, and he needs a LOT to remain happy or not annoying. But my friends 2 yorkies are pretty chill - one needs more than the other, but both happily lounge around all day, and love to sit on your lap and cuddle. So yeah I think if you found the right Yorkie, they would definitely fit your criteria. They are known to be hard to housebreak but I honestly just think it's a lack of consistency with most people. Also some can definitely be barky.

Jackson is super easy grooming-wise, but I do have to pay to get him professionally groomed every 8 weeks or so. That's what keeps him easy though. Bathe weekly in the summer, give his tail a little 2 second brush, facial hair a little comb, and wa-laa! He's actually pretty low maintenance. I practically never brush him.

But I'm thinking Chihuahua the more I think about it.

Oh what about Bichon or Bolognese or a Coton? Don't know if you like the looks of them or not, but I hear these are all pretty easy going go with the flow type dogs. Maltese? Llasho Apso?

Brit & Jackson