Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-25-2013, 12:07 PM
Big Dog

Default Just for Fun, Another What breed For Me Thread

In the next few years I really want another dog. I've been doing research on so many breeds. There are definately some breeds I love but will never own, however, there are more breeds that are on my maybe list than I will be able to own in my life time so looking for suggestions.

Anyway here is what I'm looking for:

loves training

Can be safe in public- I take my dogs out in public all the time. I really love dogs that love people but am totally fine with reserved as long as the dog can be comfortable in crowded situations.

has a sense of humor

Dogs that like to swim is a plus

longer lived

Right now I work full time. I'm hoping to change my life style where my work can include my dogs but it hasn't happend yet.

I really like dogs that think.

I'm doing agility and obedience with my dog right now but am learning about other sports so I'd love a dog medium to high energy with an off switch. I do a ton with my dog whether it's swimming, walking dog sports or off leash activities.

Things I don't care about: size/grooming

Things I don't want: Super independent breeds. I kind of like velcro dogs.

Anyway suggest away.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:37 PM
Taxiderpy

A wirehaired pointing griffon fits every single one of those things perfectly.
Old 07-25-2013, 01:54 PM
Top Dog

I went through your list with an open mind, but after reading everything, realized that koolies fit your wants to a T! Not that I'm biased or anything....

loves training - Koolies looove training. It's my crew's favorite part of the day. I specifically got my dogs because I needed dogs that would tolerate an overload of training because it's my profession.

Can be safe in public- I take my dogs out in public all the time. I really love dogs that love people but am totally fine with reserved as long as the dog can be comfortable in crowded situations. Koolies love people! I had a human aggressive dog once and it really made me realize how nice it is to have a dog that is awesome in public, another main reason for me going with koolies.

has a sense of humor My dogs are freaking hilarious. Or at least they think so.

Dogs that like to swim is a plus Both my two took to water right away. Zip's sister isn't a huge fan yet, but they are working on it. Zinga loves to dock dive and we dabble in it as a sport.

longer lived Koolies are generally pretty healthy because they have been bred as nothing but working dogs. They are tools that can make or break their owner's livelihood. Zip's grandparents are still alive and are in their upper teens (16ish).

I really like dogs that think. Both of my dogs are pretty operant, they figure things out quickly.

I'm doing agility and obedience with my dog right now but am learning about other sports so I'd love a dog medium to high energy with an off switch. I do a ton with my dog whether it's swimming, walking dog sports or off leash activities. There are some lower energy/drive koolies out there. However, the majority range from medium to high energy.

Things I don't want: Super independent breeds. I kind of like velcro dogs. Both of my koolies follow me from room to room and just generally want to know what I'm up to.

Anyway suggest away.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:04 PM
I'm All Ears

Papillon would fit for smaller dogs save for liking water.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:48 PM
Big Dog

Liking water isn't a necessity. I really really am begining to like Paps. And it's all yours and Mia's fault. I just think you have the cutest dogs. The more I read about them and learn about them, I think they are a very real possibility. I just wish they were a little bigger. I may look into a sports bred Pap when the time comes. I also like how portable they are.
Old 07-25-2013, 04:52 PM
I'm All Ears

I only know a couple sports breeders (that also show) but dang their dogs rock. I'm not sure how easy it would be to get a dog from them though.

They are fun dogs. If they came in a bigger size they might be all I had. But I have to admit their size can be charming. It's a lot of personality packed into a tiny little pup. I think I will always have a papillon.
Old 07-25-2013, 05:28 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Labrador. Or a Golden.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:25 PM
Top Dog

A lot of the sporting breeds fit your list: labs, goldens, pointers, brittany, viszla, springer spaniel.

Australian Shepherd also came to mind.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-25-2013, 06:43 PM
Twin 2

Koolie totally works!

Also, Golden. It might be because I've been around so many nice Goldens in the last few months but they're giving me major want and they seem like they would fit great except maybe for the health part but I don't know enough about that to comment.
Old 07-25-2013, 09:39 PM
Top Dog

A lot of breeds do fit that list. Including Staffords.