Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 08-06-2013, 09:51 AM
Wookie Collie

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Sorry, just saw this now. You need to be VERY informed and prepared to hike/camp in the Grand Canyon. Temps IN the Canyon can reach 120 F, no cell phone reception, etc. Research it, people died every year there from not being prepared or dismissing the recommendations of how much water to take with them.

Good luck and have fun but be smart and safe.
^ Echoing! My BF is an avid backpacker and did exactly what you guys are planning to do, with his friend in September. He's a planner to the tenth degree - researched wild animals, trails, packed everything he should... and even then the two of them were mildly hallucinating from heat when they were almost out - a dangerous thing when you're hiking on such steep terrain. His friend Justin nearly lost his step a number of times...

Not to scare you. He says it was one of the most incredible experiences of his life, but he also said that he could not have planned enough.

Sounds like an incredible road trip, I'm a bit jealous!

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 08-06-2013, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Double post...ignore this one!

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/
Old 08-06-2013, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

Thanks for the advice my last post has a million typos, but we made it out alive! Honestly, I've decided that this hike was as much about being smart as it was about being in shape. We carried a ton of water, granola bars, ate a salty rehydrated meal for dinner, and left at some ungodly hours of the morning to beat the heat I'm also glad I prepared by running and getting used to carrying weight in my pack. Even at the end, my legs were extremely sore, but I never felt out of breath on the way up or down. We did singalongs much of the way up! I am SO glad I did it - it was absolutely incredible and it gave me a MUCH better grasp of the magnitude of the canyon. We saw elk, a few mule deer, and a million irritating squirrels and met some awesome people! I'm so excited to share photos later today hopefully! Vegas has been fun too! It's the nicest thing in the world to sit on a squishy bed in air conditioning after a 20 mile hike!

My Hiking Blog: http://thehikinghokie.blogspot.com/