Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-23-2013, 08:30 AM
Are you dead yet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
I would not actively seek an exchange of life but I would risk my life to save them. I do not have children relying on me though, which would alter my risky behavior.
This. I'd risk my life for her, but if it was a one-two blam-blam she-lives I-die situation? No. Sorry.
Old 07-23-2013, 08:35 AM
Top Dog

It's funny because when I was trying to get into my house no part of me was actively thinking this is risky....

I just wanted in, and I now can see how people make "foolhardy" choices
Old 07-23-2013, 08:38 AM
Wookie Collie

I'm in the same boat as many here. I feel Adrienne's response is best suited to my feelings, and how I would intend to react. But of course, fight and flight responses in times of emergency and adrenaline can do very strange things. Several folks who have been in those situations have spoken up on this thread saying just that. I don't know for sure what I would do in those situations, but thinking soundly right now I wouldn't put my life in extreme risk or knowingly sacrifice my life for any of my pets.

Finnegan - Border Collie | Barrett the ferret | Stan & Fiora - the cats
RIP - Fozzy 1993-2006 Palom 2008-2010 Ysera 2008-2011 Basol 2008-2012 Freya 2008-2014 Porom 2008-2014
Old 07-23-2013, 09:22 AM
Top Dog

If there were time for a well thought out logical decision then no, I wouldn't die for them (or probably anyone). But in real life if my dog did something like jump into a dangerous river, or a huge dog was running at him to kill him I can't say that my immediate reaction wouldn't be to save him by jumping in or picking him up even though it's super dangerous and could result in my death.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-23-2013, 02:31 PM
Taxiderpy

No. I have two kids and am a single mom, my responsibility is to them.

Besides, it's really situational. I'm pretty level headed during emergencies and tend to break down later. Plus I worry a lot so rehearse random catastrophies in my head and make contingency plans. Like, what would happen if the bridge collapsed right now? What floats that we can hold on to? I'd have to roll down a window so I could get a door open right away! How fast can I unbuckle the kids? etc. because I am a dork.

Anyway, if my dog runs into traffic, it's not going to help them if I get hit by a car too. If they're drowning, it's not going to help them if I drown too. Or pass out from smoke inhalation, etc. The best I can do for them is set up situations to minimize bad stuff happening to them, and equip them to help themselves if I can't because I'm not always there. It's not foolproof, but it's the best I can do and life isn't foolproof anyway.
Old 07-23-2013, 03:02 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I think I would do the darnest to save them, but if its a lost hope then no I probably would not run into that burning house.

What got me thinking lately was all the flooding that happened in my area, and people where forced to leave their pets behind in their flooding houses. I thought long and hard. And I do not think I could leave my dogs behind. They probably would have to use force to get me to leave my dogs behind.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-23-2013, 03:25 PM
Taxiderpy

Quote:
Originally Posted by HayleyMarie View Post
I think I would do the darnest to save them, but if its a lost hope then no I probably would not run into that burning house.

What got me thinking lately was all the flooding that happened in my area, and people where forced to leave their pets behind in their flooding houses. I thought long and hard. And I do not think I could leave my dogs behind. They probably would have to use force to get me to leave my dogs behind.
Yeah, floods are horrible. We're on a hill, but if something biblical happened and our home was flooded, we have several boats. I'd work my hardest to get my whole family to safety. Our biggest problem is big earthquakes.

If it really, absolutely was impossible? I'd try to set them up to survive as long as possible until I could get back and rescue them. Like leave them on the roof with open bins of food and water, at least to last them a few days, and pin notes or something on them that says where we're sheltering and some out of area family phone numbers.

Actually, it might not be a bad idea have laminated emergency ID cards made up for the animals that could be clipped to their harnesses and stuff. I have some for my kids, and keep it them in an emergency bag in the car.
Old 07-23-2013, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

In the case of flooding there would be no way I would leave my pets, no freaking way. Same goes for forest fire (which for us is a bigger concern). To evacuate the city from my office I have to drive right by my house where my animals are I would be getting them. Even if I had to sneak in later.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:08 PM
~Lisa~

No.

would i risk saving them? yes. In a heart beat. But if I relized while doing it, that it may be my life as well. well no. I love them so much. but in all honesty im not even 30 yet. I have 2 of them, plus a cat and a 20 year old turtle. Id still (hopefully) have my other pets and family (and fiancee) so no. if solo is out swimming int he lake and starts to drown, yes Ill go out for him. If a fire started, yes id try my darnest to save them all. but if its saving me versues them, then its me. like i said I love them so much. but a human life compared to a animals is more priceless. a human will prob live 80. while a dog is lucky to make it to 15. all in all yes i would try my hardest, but its not worth losing my life in the same sentence.
Old 07-23-2013, 06:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
No. I have two kids and am a single mom, my responsibility is to them.

Besides, it's really situational. I'm pretty level headed during emergencies and tend to break down later. Plus I worry a lot so rehearse random catastrophies in my head and make contingency plans. Like, what would happen if the bridge collapsed right now? What floats that we can hold on to? I'd have to roll down a window so I could get a door open right away! How fast can I unbuckle the kids? etc. because I am a dork.

Anyway, if my dog runs into traffic, it's not going to help them if I get hit by a car too. If they're drowning, it's not going to help them if I drown too. Or pass out from smoke inhalation, etc. The best I can do for them is set up situations to minimize bad stuff happening to them, and equip them to help themselves if I can't because I'm not always there. It's not foolproof, but it's the best I can do and life isn't foolproof anyway.
This. You said what I poorly attempted to say.