Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-22-2013, 10:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
Well, I don't know what "dogging hogs" means. Does it mean hog hunting with dogs? Because if that's it, I don't understand how that has anything to do with weather or not you'd die for your dog.
I think he means yes, because once the dog has the hog you run up and kill it with a knife, and of course if the dog is having a hard time controlling it, you run the risk of the hog getting you as well.

As far as the original question, I'm pretty much in the "wouldn't trade my life for his, but would risk it because I love him, believe in helping animals in general. and wouldn't want to live as a total pussy."

If he runs into a fast moving river, NO NEVER. I've read so many stories of people trying to be heroic and save their dog and the person drowns and the dog just pull itself out later, now ownerless. Dogs are pretty good swimmers, they know how to swim just like you do, so let them take care of themselves.

A fire or something is different. I'm not easily scared and I've never been hysterical "in the moment" so maybe I'm naive and arrogant but I have faith I'd work something for the vast majority of situations. May be I'm a little silly, but it would also depend on the dog being a little smart as well. Like, if the entire downstairs is an inferno and I manage to break the second story window or get a ladder or whatever, and Roman runs backward into the burning house, I'd be really upset and I'd still fish him out if I could, but I wouldn't risk myself as much as if I felt it was a mutual effort. Yes I realize he's just an animal and isn't really responsible for himself, but that's probably how it would go down in my head.

It's really hard to say what I'd do because so much depends on intuition and gut instinct.

Last edited by Xandra; 07-22-2013 at 10:57 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 10:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xandra View Post
I think he means yes, because once the dog has the hog you run up and kill it with a knife, and of course if the dog is having a hard time controlling it, you run the risk of the hog get you as well.
I see. Still though, I know a lot of people who hog hunt with dogs that wouldn't die for them, regardless of how much they love them.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 07-22-2013, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
I see. Still though, I know a lot of people who hog hunt with dogs that wouldn't die for them, regardless of how much they love them.
Well, if I'm right about the angle isn't coming at, it wouldnt' be a "Yes absolutely I'd die" but more of "I'd risk my myself."

But I'm not a mind reader lol, that's just my guess.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
He means no.
It means I've already risked my life right alongside my dogs many times so obviously I would.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:08 PM
Top Dog

I don't know. I imagine I might do some foolhardy things to try and save my dogs. When Tully was being mauled by my neighbor dogs, I broke into the yard to save her, and afterwards some people suggested that was foolhardy because the dogs might have turned on me, but honestly, I didn't think they would attack me (they didn't), I didn't see myself as doing anything risky at all.

If I had time to contemplate, probably not. Not because I love my life more than my dogs, because honestly, I don't. But because I would worry about what would happen if the dogs lived and I died?

I'm single and childless, so I wouldn't worry too much about others depending on me besides the dogs, but I'd worry quite a lot about the dogs. Particularly Tess, who I think would not be easy to rehome. I suppose if we're going to get all hypothetical about it, if it were something that had already killed Tess, but Pirate was still alive, I'd probably be happy to risk myself to try to save him, since I wouldn't worry so much about him (his co-owner could probably find him a place pretty easily), and my heart would already be broken.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:10 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I would definitely risk my life for them if possible. More than likely it would be a quick reaction without thinking. In the case of a house fire, I don't think I could sit back knowing my dogs are stuck inside. Just couldn't live with myself if my dogs died in such a way with me standing outside doing nothing. Thinking about losing my dogs in such a way actually makes me ill. I'm especially scared of losing Cricket. I really don't know what I would do without her since she is my absolute best friend.

But ya I would risk my life to save my dogs

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 07-22-2013, 11:16 PM
Top Dog

Elaborating a little more on my own feelings. Like I said before, it's easy for me to say with my dogs safe and alive now that I have an obligation to the people in my life that love me, and that I'd never give my life for my dogs, but weather or not that's what would happen in that situation, I can't say for sure.

I can barely stand hearing about other people's animals dying in fires and other tragic ways. I can't imagine it being my own dogs. Especially if I saw them barking and clawing in panic at a window. The friend who died in that situation was hated by some friends and family for choosing to give her life for a dog, but for me it's a small step to empathize just imagining it in my mind. I think if I came home to a scene like that, I wouldn't be able to live with the guilt and shame that I didn't do everything in my power to save them.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 07-22-2013, 11:19 PM
Top Dog

Like I answered on the other board, I would risk my life for my dog but I would not knowingly die for him. I mean, if someone had a gun and asked me to choose between myself or my dog, I'd most likely save myself. BUT if the house was burning down and my dog was trapped in there, I would absolutely run in after him, because the idea of him stuck inside completely terrified... that's not something I can ever just let go. If I do not know that I'll die for certain, I will take almost any risk to save him.
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 PM
Love My Mutt <3

I don't know, to be honest. I mean, I'd like to say yes, and I set all my animals up for the best chance to get out of the house as possible (escape plans including them, sleeping areas/cages right by doors, carriers/leashes right by the exits, neighbours that will open doors or windows to give them a chance, etc) but... while there's a good chance my fight response (running in to save, etc) would kick in, there's an equally good chance my flight response would kick in.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Bored Now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
This is hard enough, knowing I could have saved them and made a choice not to, I'm not sure I could handle that.
I think this is where I'm at. God knows I've done stupid **** to keep him out of trouble before. . . I think if I was given the choice of either him or me dying I'd pick me (well, maybe - some days I'm sure I'd jump in without a second's hesitation). If I was given a very, very risky situation with a chance of us both getting out I'd probably be all in. But, as Laurelin said, you never really know.

I don't want to find out.