Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-22-2013, 01:21 PM
Top Dog

Talking Latch-hook rugs?

We're finally getting around to renovating our 4th bedroom, which until now has been used for dogs and storage. I've been waffling between giving Carson his own room (he & Cole share a room, but its a monstrous room - 18x24 I think - with 2 walk-in closets) or making it a playroom. The playroom idea won out.

While the boys and I were in Texas this past week, my mother-in-law came and did my painting for me. I decided to go with a John Deere theme since the boys love tractors, farm equipment, & construction equipment, specifically that made by John Deere.

I've found some awesome stuff on Etsy to go along with the things we already have, but I hit a major roadblock looking for a rug. So I checked Hobby Lobby, which had an awesome looking green tractor latch-hook rug kit. Thanks to 40% off coupons, I bought 2. Now I have to make them. I used to do lots of cross-stitching, and I loved helping my MawMaw with her ceramics, so I do have a toe in the crafting waters. But that's about it. LOL

Has anyone else done any latch-hook projects? Does it take a long time?

The room in its early stage (& yes, those are the EXACT shade of John Deere green & yellow as used on their tractors ):

I've got to go looking at carpet this week, finish painting the armoire (for tv, games, etc.) and trash can, put decals on the trash can (wooden from Hobby Lobby), put up the new ceiling fan, and order three beanbag chairs. I can't wait to start decorating.

Last edited by Miakoda; 07-22-2013 at 01:32 PM.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:37 PM
Top Dog

The rug. I bought two of them, so I should be busy for a while!

Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM
My dog tickles my soul

First off, love the colors! That room is going to be super fun.

As for latch-hook, I'm a horrible person to ask. LOL! They are very, very simple to do, but since it is little piece by little piece, they do take some time.

I have a kit that my grandparents gave me when I was... 8 or 9 years old... it's still not done. Granted, that probably reflects more on my ADD tendencies rather than the project itself. When I started, my 8-9 year old self worked on it for a solid week, got about halfway done, and then set it down in the land of forgotten projects. It resurfaced when I was leaving for college and my parents were moving out of their house, so I worked again on it for a couple days. Now it's about 5/6ths of the way done, and I haven't touched it in probably ten years.

That probably wasn't the story you were looking for. LOL! If you are actually working on it, I doubt it should take more than a couple weeks. The "few days on, ten years off" approach doesn't work all that well.

ETA: I should probably break it out again and finally finish the dang thing. I will give you credit for being my inspiration.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:40 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Latch-hook is awesome, and super easy, but yes, it does take a LONG time... especially for a rug. I've always found it more time consuming than cross-stitch.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-22-2013, 01:44 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxfox426 View Post
First off, love the colors! That room is going to be super fun.

As for latch-hook, I'm a horrible person to ask. LOL! They are very, very simple to do, but since it is little piece by little piece, they do take some time.

I have a kit that my grandparents gave me when I was... 8 or 9 years old... it's still not done. Granted, that probably reflects more on my ADD tendencies rather than the project itself. When I started, my 8-9 year old self worked on it for a solid week, got about halfway done, and then set it down in the land of forgotten projects. It resurfaced when I was leaving for college and my parents were moving out of their house, so I worked again on it for a couple days. Now it's about 5/6ths of the way done, and I haven't touched it in probably ten years.

That probably wasn't the story you were looking for. LOL! If you are actually working on it, I doubt it should take more than a couple weeks. The "few days on, ten years off" approach doesn't work all that well.
LOL!
Old 07-22-2013, 01:45 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
Latch-hook is awesome, and super easy, but yes, it does take a LONG time... especially for a rug. I've always found it more time consuming than cross-stitch.
Soooo, maybe I got a little too gung ho?
Old 07-22-2013, 01:47 PM
My dog tickles my soul

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miakoda View Post
Soooo, maybe I got a little too gung ho?
I'd offer to do it for you, but after reading my story I can understand if you don't trust me on it. I really ENJOYED working on the latch-hook! It honestly makes me happy as I remember what it was like working on it. It just takes a dedicated effort in making time for it.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:48 PM
Top Dog

I agree they are more time consuming, because you are also filling in all around the design rather then leaving it blank like most cross stitch patterns, but they are fun and look great!

A friend of mine used to personalize them in the blank spots when the pattern allowed.