Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Top Dog

whippet, mini bull terrier
Old 07-21-2013, 11:30 AM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicksMom View Post
How about just saying mixed breed?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
Why specify? Just say mixed breed, and if they enquire further, claim ignorance, or just say terrier mix or whippet mix.
That and that.

The more detail you give, the more painted into a corner you get. I personally would have a 'back up conversation' ready in my head, but give nothing without being asked. No need for you to be anything more than a joe shmo dog owner

Ex: "What kind of mixed breed?"......"Not really sure, but I've always kind of thought a terrier x lab mix" (Lab gets put with every mix so IMO it sounds reasonable, LOL)
Old 07-21-2013, 11:39 AM
Top Dog

You can always run a Wisdom panel on her. They aren't very accurate, but they don't have pit bull in the database, so they're sure to not come up with it. (she doesn't look like a pit bull mix to me anyway). Then you'd have the Wisdom panel results to show, which look all scientific and stuff.
Old 07-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Just mixed breed actually is not a good idea with most apartments, it has been my experience with living in rentals with pit bulls that giving them something else to focus on is best.

Lab, whippet?

I second wisdom panel, as well. Or try a few DNA tests until you get one with the least intimidating dog mix possible.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-21-2013, 05:25 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I also see whippet or greyhound, I don't even see "pit" or "bully" Just say she is a "mystery mix", if they I quite further or any paperwork requires a more specific answer just say "greyhound/terrier, or whippet/terrier" mix
She looks like a pit bull to me? Not necessarily a purebred but I definitely would at least call her a pit mix (well if I wasn't trying to rent with her LOL).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
You can always run a Wisdom panel on her. They aren't very accurate, but they don't have pit bull in the database, so they're sure to not come up with it. (she doesn't look like a pit bull mix to me anyway). Then you'd have the Wisdom panel results to show, which look all scientific and stuff.
This is a really good idea!

Also the Boston Terrier x Rat terrier mix seems reasonable too, since it's a popular designer breed. Also I think Decker Rat terriers can be about that size?

Although I think the Wisdom Panel idea is best. Because regardless of what you say she is, the landlord can look at her and say "Ummm...this is a pit bull". The Wisdom Panel will give you "proof" that she isn't.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:35 PM
Durp Dog

Thank you all so much for the help, I appreciate it more than you could ever realize. The rentals that asked for breeds all asked "what kind of mix" so I could play dumb, but it seems more fullproof (sorta) to print out parents for her, corresponding with whatever a wisdom panel says. If I have enough time to get the results, I will go look it up after this. We have about three weeks right now.

My boyfriend woke up at 5am crying about this whole situation, for over a hour.... It's his birthday today. This isn't fair.

We are starting to look at places that cost a bit more, we gave up on not having carpet, we are looking at places outside of this area even though we like it here, we are basically lowering our standards but it's totally worth it. They won't mess up the carpet, besides mud. I just hate the upkeep and shampooing it. But if we get carpet we will buy area rugs for the carpeted areas just in case.

We have several places we are going to call tomorrow, we couldn't get ahold of anyone because it is the weekend.

If it came down to it, she could stay with a family member so we could temp. rent a place until we can find a place that allows her. But that is a absolute last option. I want my dog living with me always.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:39 PM
Durp Dog

Basically I feel like if I play stupid about her breed, they will want to see her and to me she looks like one of her parents were a generic pitty mixy thing.

Does anyone have liability insurance on their dog? How much is it? Who do you get it through?
Old 07-22-2013, 06:34 AM
Mutts to you

Sorry you're going through this, it sucks... Can't answer the liability thing, when the insurance company wanted to drop our homeowners because of my rottie mix, Emily, (omg! a Rottweiler!) our insurance agent came out to meet her (and the rest of the dogs), and seeing she was not a bite risk, put her down as a Lab mix. My parents' insurance agent did the same thing with their pure bred Rottie.

We have carpeting in our house, and I throw old sheets on the floor in high traffic areas. Cheaper than area rugs, catches the dirt and hair, and are easy to pull up, shake out and wash every week. Also easy to pull up if company is coming over.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-22-2013, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Around here it's illegal for renters to discriminate based on breed, but the ones that do it illegally (very few) ban Boston Terriers, so that might not be the best idea.

Sighthound mix sounds good to me. Basenji mix, plott mix, greyhound mix, any of those X lab would probably work. People are dumb as can be and will probably believe she's whatever mix you tell them, especially if you do a DNA test ($60 will be less than insurance, but it could always come up something like rottie, dobie, GSD mix, which could be an issue) OR see if you can get your vet to change her breed on her vet records and provide that (most vets will).

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-22-2013, 09:54 PM
Durp Dog

Thanks everyone!!!

We talked with a guy today that is fine with the dogs, we put in a application today and are waiting to hear back from him but I think we pretty much have it. Basically he asked David what kind of dogs we have and David said "Husky, Collie mix, and a mutt that could be mistaken for a pit but she is not one and only weighs 35lbs (that is what she weighs lol)." And the guy didn't care. Pet deposit is only. $150 all together, wow. Place has a fence, hardwood floors that were just redone yesterday, and it is pretty nice. If we had more time, we would have passed it up because it isn't as nice as some of the houses in our price range, and it isn't in the best part of town, but we are running out of time and it isn't really that bad. All that matters is that we have our animals and a roof over our heads.

Had a friend at work tell me we could rent her place out, saw it yesterday. Omg it was really really really bad. Just disgusting and could have easily been condemned. After seeing that and feeling like something like that was our only option, we both got pretty depressed.

Vibes that this works out!!!!!!