Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-21-2013, 04:50 PM
Top Dog

Maybe the Border Terriers around here are just zippier than others, but most of the ones I know don't lack for drive. And just for entertaining fun, here's a BT puppy being introduced to the rat in a tube, for Barn Hunt:

Old 07-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
Maybe the Border Terriers around here are just zippier than others, but most of the ones I know don't lack for drive. And just for entertaining fun, here's a BT puppy being introduced to the rat in a tube, for Barn Hunt:

Yeah, Looks like the pup left.........I would not be happy with that on any level.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:12 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by adojrts View Post
Yeah, Looks like the pup left.........I would not be happy with that on any level.
She's a baby puppy, she got excited about something new, and went tearing around. Fortunately, it doesn't matter if you like her since her owner of (at that time) about a week is very happy with her.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:47 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Is that the baby I met at the last trial? Man she was cute.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-21-2013, 09:51 PM
Top Dog

Here's what I consider a fairly typical Border Terrier, completing his MACH. They bark a lot on course. It's part of their charm.

Most of the agility Borders I know run somewhat like this, maybe a little slower or faster, depending mostly on handler. They're a pretty handler responsive breed (I know a lot that do well at obedience, too).
Old 07-21-2013, 09:59 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Is that the baby I met at the last trial? Man she was cute.
Probably, and yes, she's super cute!
Old 07-22-2013, 12:17 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flyinsbt View Post
She's a baby puppy, she got excited about something new, and went tearing around. Fortunately, it doesn't matter if you like her since her owner of (at that time) about a week is very happy with her.
Well first of all, thought it was some random vid off youtube and had no idea you had any connection to the dog.
Glad the owner is happy and I didn't say I didn't like her, just that for testing drives I wouldn't be happy with that response. I test my litters this way, as do many breeders that plan to work the pup they intend to keep. However, I don't use a barn hunt tube but a live trap cage, I trap wild rats in my barn. The wild rats are aggressive, they scream, hiss and throw themselves at the cage etc. I've had wee baby pups that have killed rats in my barn by the time they're 3 months of age. Younger than that, they don't take off in excitement and race around but turn on. The ones that don't 'turn on', I don't keep (learned that one the hard way once). Just gives a breeder another piece of the puzzle when having to decide on who to run on, esp when they are trying to figure that out before 9 wks of age. That said, those same breeders will take the pup out hunting if they can. Throw a Deben on the pup and watch it for responses on the hunt. Is the pup interested in what the adults are doing when casting out? Do they have tail the pup and stop it from entering? Is it really interested when a dog is in the earth baying and working or taking that time to chase butterflies or take a nap?
Old 07-22-2013, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

I was actually going to suggest considering a yorkie, but thought they might be too small for you.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 07-22-2013, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Well first of all, thought it was some random vid off youtube and had no idea you had any connection to the dog.
I imagine that a dog actually faced for the first time with a rat would respond somewhat different than a dog faced for the first time with a tube with a rat inside. There are visual cues. And I can flatly tell you that my dogs, who have been shown a rat in a cage (not close enough to touch), to drum up interest for the rat in the tube, will still leave the rat in a tube after awhile, because they can't get to it. I don't know about Pirate, but I know for a fact that the Honey Badger (Tess), if she can actually get at prey, will kill it even if it leaves her looking like she ran through a barbwire fence. (not proud of this, just stating a fact) Still not that interested in staying with the tube for an indefinite time, the rat is out of her reach.

Dix' pup, when I videoed it, wasn't being tested for drive, Dix just wanted to see if she'd show interest in the rat tube for later Barn Hunt events. She showed tons of interest. Barking and charging the tube is turning on. She'll undoubtedly get to actually see a rat at some later date, since I'm assuming he'll do earthdog with her as well as agility and Barn Hunt.
Old 07-22-2013, 01:50 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I was reminded that JRT, dog tolerant but not labs per say, don't always have patience for what they consider annoying behavior, my Malinois are very annoying sometimes and it's something to be aware of.

For an all around HAPPY dog who'll love other dogs you may consider a wheaten.

My Deckers rat terriers were amazing dogs.

Have you considered a small GSP, vizsla, or Brittany?
Something I will also have to consider. Both Eden and Limit can be super annoying. In general, Eden backs off immediately but Limit can be a bit of a handful until he understands the rules (he understands not to badger Kastle now).

Wheaten/Deckers Rat Terriers are both I have not looked into at all. I appreciate the pointer and will look around.

No. I have fostered for a GSP rescue, my parents have two, and I grew up with a Vizsla - the nice, fast, drivey, hunting-line ones they have drool this weird silvery drool that sticks to everything and dries in shiny crust. Yuck. Nice dogs, not for me

Brittany was something I also deeply considered (grandpa used to breed/raise/hunt them WAY back in the day) but I'm not sure about finding the type that I would want (aka old style small drivey hunting dogs that were excellent family companions).

Quote:
Not a terrier but I seriously wonder if a nice poodle would fit your desires. Can you handle a dog needing grooming (most terriers need it, too)?
I think I would be willing to learn how to handstrip a terrier, although if I got a smooth JRT, not a problem...I'm not sure about clippering a dog. I also am fond of PWD but they can be a little...crazy for me (some neurosis etc). I do really like the temperaments of the poodles (of all sizes) that I know in agility, I don't find them aesthetically pleasing though for myself.

Quote:
Another question you have to ask yourself, if you plan on competing in AKC/CKC you have to get a Parsons or a Russell Terrier, unless you have a spay/neutered dog.

If you get serious about a JRT, PRT or RT, let me know. I can point you in the right direction of good breeders.
I'm not willing to sacrifice the drive I want for the AKC. AKC would be nice, but not mandatory. I am not really into the AKC style JRT from the ones I know.

Thank you, really appreciate it and will definitely let you know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmberH View Post
I've looked into a couple of Yorkshire Terrier breeders and the one thing that is going to stop me from getting one is that they all have an outrageous price. Think $2000+ and as good as the breeder and dogs might be, I cannot justify paying that price. Now, that's just the couple I've found that I like and I haven't done a lot of research at this time as I probably won't be going that route.
Jason LOVES Yorkies, love love loves them. He would be ecstatic if I got a Yorkie. I'm not sure about one in my household of big, drivey, sometimes clumsy dogs though. And I had no idea they were so expensive. That's pricier than importing a nice GSD from Belgium...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pops2 View Post
This would be equally true of most terriers that are still mostly working dogs like jagds & pats. Keep in mind that some Brits work ferrets & terriers together on rats and have dogs that'll take mink & polecats but won't look sideways at the family ferrets.
I find that really interesting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
I was actually going to suggest considering a yorkie, but thought they might be too small for you.
I'm going to take a peak around and see what I find in the breed. I have a friend with a mix dog and he's pretty freaking awesome, pretty much what was said about Bayleigh applies to Benny. He's a really neat dog and not too small or fine boned, quite sturdy.