Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

No, if I did decide to get one it would be after I took the place over from my parents. Not before, I just wanted to stress that.

Old 07-19-2013, 07:12 PM
Top Dog

A bit off topic but, with a story like that, what is the desire for a dog like these? Protecting your property is one thing, but the TM seems an extreme way to go about it. Surely there are more safer and reliable options to protect your home and ease your peace of mind?
(I'm not trying to be offensive to those with guardian breeds, just trying to understand the want vs. Risks)

Are you wanting to scare off intruders or maim\kill them? I would think most dogs would scare off most intruders. (Assuming the dog barks)

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 07-19-2013, 08:12 PM
Glutton for Crazy

The gal I worked for sold fila to shipyard style lots and large properties as guards. These were working guard dogs and were intending to cause serious damage to those looking to challenge them. As a pet, eh, some is novelty. Some truly believe they need a dog that is dangerous. I'd be a hypocrite if I said I don't understand it to an extent though, I choose to keep Malinois with real "civil" edge, I have no desire to have a Malinois that views protect as purely a game of tug.

With the fila I worked with I saw many from birth that I still had to feed/divide the run in order to clean their areas. They didn't like me, especially in their space.

There are several LGD that maintain extreme antisocial behaviors but fila are an odd breed, I have also seen very similar behavior in Tibetan mastiffs. You really need to know what you're doing and clearly define why they suit you in order to not be a danger to society with such dogs.

Phones about to die but I can come back with more.

Ps, they maintain some houndy smells that would really be too much for many owners.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-20-2013, 12:11 AM

I have actually been looking into the South African Boerboel, & I am beginning to think they might ... MIGHT be a better fit when the time comes, they are bred to be "protective without being aggressive" as their national site puts it.

I will read more

Old 07-20-2013, 12:42 AM
Taxiderpy

I can't speak for other people, but through the years, I've found that I really really enjoy working with extremely independent dogs, but that I also really like dogs that are super devoted and loyal. It's kind of an odd combination, and I haven't found many breeds outside the LGD types that possess both traits to a strong degree. Specifically with filas, they fit what I'm looking for there, and also have the drive and ability to be used as hunting dogs/tracking dogs, which is a trait not found in many LGD breeds.

For me the extreme protectiveness is almost a byproduct of what I'm really after. But in my case, it's a desirable byproduct since I'm a single mom with a scary stalker creeper ex that doesn't think twice about violating a protection order.

Dogdragoness, I think the boerboel could be a good fit. There are a lot of really good LGDs that are plenty protective for what you want and would be great dogs for you, without the level of liability that a fila would be. You'll still need to socialize and train well, but you should be able to get your dog used to a few trusted people that are willing to dogsit/housesit if it ever becomes necessary.

You will probably want to work on social anxiety for yourself before getting a LGD though. Because they are independent, if they feel you are not operating at full capacity during a situation they will not hesitate to make what they feel is the best decision regardless of what you are telling them. If they know you're anxious during a social interaction and their protective instincts tell them that they ought to drive off this thing that's making you anxious, it's very possible they will decide you're not competent to handle the situation and blow off your instructions to "leave it", or whatever you're telling them. These dogs love with every fiber of their beings, but love =/= respect. You have to demonstrate to them that you are more capable of making good decisions than they are, and they have to trust that you're always going to tell them the right thing to do even if they don't agree with it at the time.
Old 07-20-2013, 11:38 AM

Agreed & I am seeking (professional) help with my anxiety, which is good because I have plenty of time to work on it before the time comes to decide on a dog.

Most LGD's (we had an Anatolian shepherd for the goats who passed from old age) aren't really what I am looking for personality wise. Too independent, I like a dog that is independent yet trainable/ will work with you. Can make its own decisions but can also take direction.

Old 07-20-2013, 03:46 PM
Taxiderpy

If an anatolian is too independent, it's likely a fila will be too. I recommend you work closely with a breeder of whatever breed you settle on and have them pick out the most handler oriented puppy for you. Not sure where boerboels land on the biddability scale. The kuvasz that I know are not biddable at all. lol.

Glad that you're working on the anxiety. It's definitely possible to overcome. I would have been a terrible fila owner 5 years ago due anxiety, and with several years of hard work am stable and happy despite bad people doing bad stuff.
Old 07-20-2013, 06:22 PM

It's actually only really bad in social situations like parties, restaurants, bars, places like Walmart. I am actually pretty comfortable at places like petsmart , Home Depot etc ... The doc says its because there is more space & I can identity with the "kind" of people there (well he said it a little more doctor-like ... Lol but you get it)

He said its very treatable thru therapy & he doesn't think I will need meds

Old 07-21-2013, 08:37 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
I have actually been looking into the South African Boerboel, & I am beginning to think they might ... MIGHT be a better fit when the time comes, they are bred to be "protective without being aggressive" as their national site puts it.

I will read more
DD if you have any questions about boerboels feel free to PM me. They are a great breed.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-21-2013, 10:32 PM

Will do, thank you all so much for all the info & advice