Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-14-2013, 01:46 PM
I'm All Ears

I'm not surprise by the verdict. Glad I'm not on the jury though. At first I was totally outraged by the case but the more information the more reasonable doubt I have.
Old 07-14-2013, 01:47 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
COONS is NOT a racial slur!!! I think he was using it in reference to all the break ins they had! It's a common slang uses for someone who steals!

Your just making it about race!
I can't speak for Florida, but in this part of Indiana it is, depending on the context. I grew up hearing the word "coon" in reference to the animal only but as I've gotten older have heard it used as a racial slur.

I'd like to add though that even if Zimmerman was spending his weekends in a white hood he still had the right to defend himself if attacked, and the state still didn't prove 2nd degree murder IMO. It is a dangerous thing to want juries to decide someone's fate base on emotion rather than what the prosecution has actually proven beyond a reasonable doubt.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThoseWordsAtBest View Post
Come on now.
Besides they concluded he was saying "****ing cold" because it was raining & unseasonably cool in Florida that night (I think someone else posted that above).

Sport Model Pug

coon (kn)
n.
1. Informal A raccoon.
2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/coon

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-14-2013, 01:53 PM
Member of WHODAT Nation.

http://www.wftv.com/videos/news/raw-...-police/vGZq9/

Link to zimmermans call , i did not hear anything about coon or cold.

going to find what elses i can on the calls.

EDIT~~~~~~ the more i am looking this may be an edited version , i will try to find an original
Old 07-14-2013, 01:54 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Besides they concluded he was saying "****ing cold" because it was raining & unseasonably cool in Florida that night (I think someone else posted that above).
I'm not talking about what they concluded, or what he may or may not have said on the 911 call. To deny people use and recognize coon as a racial slur is really reaching. I'm a white kid who grew up in Detroit.

It's all as unrelated as calling the victim a future criminal. We don't get to kill people because of what we think of their character (that Zimmerman didn't even know the character of) and that isn't why Zimmerman went to trial. He went to trial because he shot and killed someone.

Good article: http://www.theatlantic.com/national/...merman/277772/
Old 07-14-2013, 02:00 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I'm done with this thread. Physically ill over justification of one person's right to DEADLY self-defense while completely denying the other person's right to self-defense. If you kill somebody even in self-defense you have killed somebody and that is NOT okay and it's certainly not "good." Disgusting.
So, if you're on the ground, being beaten by someone younger and stronger, who is ignoring your screaming and no one is coming to your rescue, you'd let the guy beat you to death rather than defend yourself in any way possible? And before you declare Martin wasn't intending to kill Zimmerman, it only takes one good blow to the head to do that (remember the soccer referee who died from a single punch to the head, from another enraged teenager?)

No one is saying it's good that the kid was killed, but he's not blameless either. Bad choices all around.

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Iím not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-14-2013, 02:14 PM
Sit! Good dog.

If I seek out a fight with someone.... And he starts winning... Then I don't think it's fair that I can then shoot him in self defence.

And coon not being a racial slur? Seriously. I'm in the uk and even I know that's pretty taboo.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head in wonder...
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 07-14-2013, 02:16 PM
Top Dog

I am really saddened by this thread...seriously. This was ABSOLUTELY about race!!!! It was about the fear and myth of the "dangerous" black guy.

I am thinking a lot of you read some of the stuff about Trayvon that was stuff spun up and not true. He was 17 yes, but not some huge muscular man. Zimmerman was a paranoid vigilante and should NEVER have access to a gun. I am all for gun rights but this is the exact situation which makes me almost question it. You get some insecure control freak who starts a fight and ends it with a gun when it shouldve never happened in the first place.

http://www.snopes.com/photos/politics/martin.asp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jules View Post
Well, I'm certainly glad that some armed, untrained man with a vigilante complex can pursue me while walking home and end up killing me if we get into a fight. Do I agree that the prosecution went with 2nd degree murder charges? No. But Zimmerman walking away is disgusting.

Meanwhile, an African American mother gets 20 years in prison for firing warning shots near her abusive husband.
SO much this...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I'm disgusted that he was found not guilty.
And disgusted by this thread.

If you don't think it's about race you're not paying attention and you CLEARLY didn't listen to what Zimmerman had to say on his 911 calls. Martin "fit the description" of the people who had been breaking and entering in the neighbourhood - in what way?
Because he was black.

My black friend was walking home one night and suddenly found himself surrounded by six cops with their guns drawn yelling PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR, PUT YOUR HANDS IN THE AIR.
Because he "fit the description" of some guys who had held up a bank earlier in the day.
By which they mean he was black. And that was the end of how he fit the description.
Same ****ing thing.

Sick to my stomach and even more sick that I knew this was how it was going to turn out.

And this

Quote:
COONS is NOT a racial slur!!! I think he was using it in reference to all the break ins they had! It's a common slang uses for someone who steals!

Your just making it about race!
Sorry, you are extremely wrong....Coon is most definitely a racial slur. This is about race. Sadly, SO many things are still about race in this country. I am so sick of hearing "playing the race card"....man, some of you all must live in an alternate reality if you cant see the day to day undercurrent of racism that still exists.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandyPug View Post
coon (kn)
n.
1. Informal A raccoon.
2. Offensive Slang Used as a disparaging term for a Black person.

http://www.thefreedictionary.com/coon
Old 07-14-2013, 02:18 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dizzy View Post
If I seek out a fight with someone.... And he starts winning... Then I don't think it's fair that I can then shoot him in self defence.

And coon not being a racial slur? Seriously. I'm in the uk and even I know that's pretty taboo.

Sometimes you just have to shake your head in wonder...
Ok, yeah, much more to the point and perfect