Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > The Fire Hydrant

Old 07-14-2013, 01:21 PM
Mutts to you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
So it's OK for somebody to kill somebody when they don't feel safe, but not for somebody to attack somebody when they don't feel safe? "You can follow sonebody just fine, but youre not allowed to protect yourself when being followed!"

I'm 22. I will do anything to avoid confrontation. You can bet that I'll do whatever it takes to protect myself when somebody is following me.
I don't understand... If you'll do anything to avoid confrontation, and someone is following you FROM A DISTANCE, why would you turn around and get in their face? If you have a phone, would you not be calling the police? If you were within minutes of being home, knowing your family is there to help protect you, wouldn't you continue home?

I know that you believe you understand what you think I said, but Im not sure you realize that what you heard is not what I meant. -Robert McCloskey
Old 07-14-2013, 01:25 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoko View Post
Also it wasn't Zimmerman who was using racial slurs in the phone call leading up to the confrontation it was Martin.
"F***ing coons" is on Zimmerman's 911 tape.
In case you're confused it wasn't the 911 operator who said it.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-14-2013, 01:29 PM
Obey the Toad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
So it's OK for somebody to kill somebody when they don't feel safe, but not for somebody to attack somebody when they don't feel safe? "You can follow sonebody just fine, but youre not allowed to protect yourself when being followed!"

I'm 22. I will do anything to avoid confrontation. You can bet that I'll do whatever it takes to protect myself when somebody is following me.
So if a dude was following you you would turn around and attack him?

Also, the descriptions given on the news here are usually sex, race, and age unless some other details are known. It's not at all uncommon for that to be the only info given. If crimes were being committed by a young white male in my neighborhood, and there was a young white male acting suspiciously near my home I'd be calling the cops.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:33 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Are you talking about the tape that after having it played back they took back the statement saying that a racial slur was used? Or are you talking about the tape that CBS edited to make it sound like he was only following him because be was black?

Old 07-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
You know a "coon" is slang for a burglar ... Right? Calling someone who you think is stealing or has the mind to steal a "coon" has nothing to do WTH their race & more to do with their actions

Old 07-14-2013, 01:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I am happy with the outcome.

I was worried that the jury would be swayed by their fear of public reaction. It's not suppose to be that way but it is.

When I first heard about the case I was outraged. They were pumping out a pic of a kid who looked 12. This guy was 17 and far far far from the innocent looking kid that they tried to make everyone believe was the one who was killed.

As the case went on it should have been super obvious to anyone he was going to be let off.

Zimmerman wasn't the one using racial slurs Martin was.

Zimmerman had injuries that backed up what he said happened.

The girl who said she was on the phone with Martin was revealed to have lied about what she heard AND about writing out what happened.

So even if you think he is guilty *I don't* there was definitely enough evidence brought forward to have enough reasonable doubt that he shouldn't have been charged with anything.
Yeah, that.

I feel bad, I do. I think a lot of 17yrs old are punks at that age, and it doesn't mean they deserve to die. I think Zimmerman probably should've chosen to do things differently, I think him carrying a gun was a bit much (but it WAS his legal right) and was probably too quick to pull the trigger. But I do not think he deserved to spend the rest of his life in jail. And I think the jury made the right decision.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:35 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Are you talking about the tape that after having it played back they took back the statement saying that a racial slur was used? Or are you talking about the tape that CBS edited to make it sound like he was only following him because be was black?
I'm talking about the 911 call that I personally listened to and heard him hiss "f***ing coons."

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
You know a "coon" is slang for a burglar ... Right? Calling someone who you think is stealing or has the mind to steal a "coon" has nothing to do WTH their race & more to do with their actions
"Coon" is a slur for black people.
My uncle's last name is Coons. When he was on the football team in high school everybody called him "Coons." The football team played a football team at a black highschool.
Somebody shouted "HEY COONS!" at my uncle.
A fight almost broke out.
It's a slur and it absolutely has to do with race. If Zimmerman meant it as "slang for burglar" why didn't he say that? Because he didn't mean it that way and was busy trying to deny he was racially motivated in his actions.

I'm done with this thread. Physically ill over justification of one person's right to DEADLY self-defense while completely denying the other person's right to self-defense. If you kill somebody even in self-defense you have killed somebody and that is NOT okay and it's certainly not "good." Disgusting.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 07-14-2013, 01:36 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I'm talking about the 911 call that I personally listened to and heard him hiss "f***ing coons."
I'm not saying that's not what you think you heard but this

Quote:
"I hear C-O-O-N-S. That's what I hear," said senior legal analyst Jeffrey Toobin on March 21. Toobin later retracted that assumption on April 4. "This is also a good example of why it's important to take your time. I remember when Gary Tuchman did his first report on it and I sat here with Anderson and I thought I heard C-O-O-N. But this certainly sounds like cold," he said of the audio.

And on that April 4 edition of Anderson Cooper 360, the verdict was changed from "coons" to "cold."

"From listening in this room, and this is state-of-the-art room, it doesn't sound like that slur anymore," Tuchman admitted while sitting with senior audio engineer Brian Stone. "It sounds like and we wanted to leave it up to the viewer but it sounds like we're hearing the swear word at first and then the word cold. And the reason some say that would be relevant is because it was unseasonably cold in Florida that night and raining."
Is what I'm finding when I search it.

Old 07-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
COONS is NOT a racial slur!!! I think he was using it in reference to all the break ins they had! It's a common slang uses for someone who steals!

Your just making it about race!

Old 07-14-2013, 01:42 PM
Wu-Tang Steph

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
COONS is NOT a racial slur!!!
Come on now.