Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-12-2013, 10:56 AM
Top Dog

If I get the image and take it to the vet, will my vet automatically know how to interpret it? Or is there a chance he'll look at me like I have two heads and no know what the heck I'm giving him?

If you're taking these pictures, is it the dog's whole body? Specific sections?

I think you'd have to be careful how you marketed it, but I'd definitely be interested in getting Lucy checked over to see if there's any hidden issues! (and $50 would be a steal here. It's $50 for a 25 minute massage!)

Lucyfur CA O-NAC O-NCC S-NJC O-TNO S-TGN S-WVN HPN SG
Old 07-12-2013, 10:58 AM
Top Dog

It cost me 700 for 4 X-rays on Gage, and that was 5 years ago! I would totally do this if I felt my dog had possibly injured itself, that way I could determine weather I should pull him from the rest of the weekend or keep going!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliTerp07 View Post
If I get the image and take it to the vet, will my vet automatically know how to interpret it? Or is there a chance he'll look at me like I have two heads and no know what the heck I'm giving him?

If you're taking these pictures, is it the dog's whole body? Specific sections?

I think you'd have to be careful how you marketed it, but I'd definitely be interested in getting Lucy checked over to see if there's any hidden issues! (and $50 would be a steal here. It's $50 for a 25 minute massage!)
What ends up happening is the person who takes the image makes note of any areas of concern and then the vet is the one that actually diagnosis the problem.

So no, the vet wouldn't have to find the problem areas but would have the images with the problem areas marked so they could then locate them on the dog. If that makes sense.

I haven't had a chance to sit down and talk to my vets about it and see what they think. I'm planning on doing that later today.

There are a couple of companies in the UK that do this currently. They price the images according to the number of images taken. So you can pay x price for a set of full body images or a cheaper price for just front legs or just rear legs, etc. Those prices include a report with explanation and the images.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:05 AM
Jelly baby?

$50 sounds reasonable to me. And not just for trials, Gavroche seems to have a recurrent neck issue that is always "resolved" when he's at the vet.

My only concern is that some vets (like mine >.<) are not fans of any new/alternate technology, and will make fun of people for it rather than try to learn. So I'd have to take my dog to a different vet if I had it done.

Vortex Canine - Custom Harnesses and Leashes

"Never cruel nor cowardly. Never give up. Never give in."
~The Doctor
Old 07-12-2013, 11:23 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I wish this had been an option when Bs jumping went from 24 ft to 18 ft in dock dogs. He was later found to have an issue with the sacroiliac. His jumping in dock depleted almost a year before I noticed he was just barely favoring his right side and only when standing, never when moving. I paid a chiro 70 to confirm. He had striding issues as well which isn't shocking with such an issue, it can be caused by or cause striding trouble, and that can mask the misalignment.

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 07-12-2013, 11:25 AM
Taxiderpy

Considering confo people blow $30 a pop for those official posed win pictures, I think you'll do great. Good luck!
Old 07-12-2013, 11:32 AM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Romy View Post
Considering confo people blow $30 a pop for those official posed win pictures, I think you'll do great. Good luck!
$30? Try $60 here for one photo on a disc... Nevermind prints.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-12-2013, 11:44 AM
Behavior Nerd

I really like this idea - I'm occasionally think I see a limp or something off, but it's not enough to go to the vet for because 1. often I can't reproduce it and 2. my dogs are so stoic they won't react to pain generally, thus making it hard to pinpoint injury. My chiro has helped us numerous times but can be hard to get in to see and is $40+ and hour's drive away. Thermal imaging at a trial would fill a nice gap.

Old 07-12-2013, 12:34 PM
Top Dog

I don't know anything about this other than what you've just said, but it sounds like it would be more accurate/easier to see/read than an xray?

If that's the case, I would absolutely pay $50 for that. Maybe a few if there was a discount for each additional.

Good luck if you decide to do this. Just curious, but how much would the camera/equipment cost?
Old 07-12-2013, 12:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
I don't know anything about this other than what you've just said, but it sounds like it would be more accurate/easier to see/read than an xray?

If that's the case, I would absolutely pay $50 for that. Maybe a few if there was a discount for each additional.

Good luck if you decide to do this. Just curious, but how much would the camera/equipment cost?
For soft tissue injuries it is easier. For orthopedic injuries, it won't really help and rads would need to be done. It'll pinpoint the area of the orthopedic injury but not show the actual injury itself.

The camera is about $8k and the training is around $1500.