Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 10-18-2013, 08:36 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
72 nails done today. Got Quinn's quick for the first time in three years. She barely bled, didn't cry, but I still feel awful. This was right after I got frustrated because she was pulling her back feet away from me. Ugh I want a dremel!
DO IT! They are awesome, and the once or twice I have ground into the quick Siri didn't even notice. Though not sure if not painful or if terrier

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 10-18-2013, 08:43 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
DO IT! They are awesome, and the once or twice I have ground into the quick Siri didn't even notice. Though not sure if not painful or if terrier
Definitely worth it as long as the dog allows it or can be taught too. I have so much dremel love.

Old 10-18-2013, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Ripley hasn't been feeling good since he came back home (he and Keira were away this past weekend cause we were gone), so I called the person he was staying with to see if he got into something. She proceeded to try to tell me that no, he didn't, other than maybe some leaves and whatnot in the yard, and that he was probably just stressed from coming home. Um, no. I know my dog, and I know his stress signs, and he is not stressed. Her reason? Because if he did eat something he shouldn't have, his system would have gotten rid of it by now (three days later). Maybe she's right, maybe not. I don't know why he's not feeling well, but I do know he's not stressed. If anything, maybe he's getting rid of stress from being away and staying at two separate houses on the weekend... but he's not stressed from being home. I wish this person would listen and mind her own business sometimes and understand that I know this dog better than anybody. Also, she said to try crating him tomorrow when we're gone because maybe he's stressed from being shut in my bedroom loose. Then she got mad when she found it he doesn't own a crate anymore. I got rid of it because it was broken, and I haven't gotten a new one yet because he barely used it anyway. And he's been staying loose in my room ever since we moved into this house. I highly doubt it's suddenly a problem. He likes it in there.

But anyway, cleaning up vomit and diarrhea three days in a row in my bedroom really sucks and I hope whatever is bothering him goes away soon. Poor big guy. He virtually never throws up... I can't even remember the last time. Not since he was a puppy I think. He's fine otherwise.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Not a Border Collie

Nail clipping gives me major anxiety. I'm okay with the cats and Ned so far because their nails are so tiny, but Quinn makes me nervous because the quick is more difficult to see and I have to cut way harder. Makes me nervous every time! I really need to look into dremel brands I think...Quinn and Ned are both great with their feet so we wouldn't mind the slightly longer wait (eta: knock on wood LOL. I know it's a very weird feeling for many dogs!) And I've heard they are good for getting quicks to recede back a bit - Quinn has such long quicks!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 10-18-2013, 08:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Nail clipping gives me major anxiety. I'm okay with the cats and Ned so far because their nails are so tiny, but Quinn makes me nervous because the quick is more difficult to see and I have to cut way harder. Makes me nervous every time! I really need to look into dremel brands I think...Quinn and Ned are both great with their feet so we wouldn't mind the slightly longer wait. And I've heard they are good for getting quicks to recede back a bit - Quinn has such long quicks!
Yes, get a dremel! I have the actual Dremel brand, corded, and it looks super heavy duty just for dog nails but I find the cordless ones don't have enough power or battery life for multiple dogs or dogs with thick nails.

I've quicked my dogs with the dremel plenty of times, and it does sting a bit I'm sure, but they're all way better with the dremel than the clipper. It takes some getting used to, and it's scary if they kangaroo kick and slam the dremel into your hand, but I love mine and would never go back to clipping. Not all dogs are perfect for it (Dance is awful for both clippers and the dremel), but I still find it easier than clippers.

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 10-18-2013, 11:21 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
Yes, get a dremel! I have the actual Dremel brand, corded, and it looks super heavy duty just for dog nails but I find the cordless ones don't have enough power or battery life for multiple dogs or dogs with thick nails.

I've quicked my dogs with the dremel plenty of times, and it does sting a bit I'm sure, but they're all way better with the dremel than the clipper. It takes some getting used to, and it's scary if they kangaroo kick and slam the dremel into your hand, but I love mine and would never go back to clipping. Not all dogs are perfect for it (Dance is awful for both clippers and the dremel), but I still find it easier than clippers.
Jones is ridiculous if you try to do his nails with the clippers. I'm taking full blown tantrum screaming, and I worked with him since he was a puppy. He has literally NEVER ONCE been quicked, but one day he decided nail clippers were the devil.

I finally switched to a dremel (dremel brand from walmart. cost me about fifty bucks for a two speed corded dremel and some accessories) and aside from Indy, all of the dogs prefer it.

None of them except Jones love it though. Jones I slowly introduced him to the sound, with treats, and now I just smear peanut butter on the door and let him lick it off while I do a foot at a time. He actually cries at the door if another dog is in the bathroom with me getting their nails done. It's kind of ridiculous. I have to crate him to keep him away from the door.
Old 10-18-2013, 11:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
$$$ later, Feist is on the mend. Poor girly was absolutely fine this morning, then took a nap and woke up drooling profusely. Had to take her to the vet when I was supposed to be leaving, was worried it was parvovirus because both ends were ick. However, it appears she ate some burrs. THIS PUPPY. Really just glad that was all it was, but honestly, DID SHE HAVE TO EAT THEM? Love the lovebug, she is so darn weird.
I took Fiona (and Romeo) out on a little hike today, and all of a sudden they were both doing the crab walk thing.. burrs all over them and in their feets! I immediately thought of Feist and was trying to get them off before Fi nommed them!

Old 10-19-2013, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

Elsie turned three yesterday. She's an adult dog now, and I love her.

I left her in the car when I went into subway to buy a sandwich for lunch today. She had a huge bag of Zukes and a brand new toy that she knew about on the front seat, and she didn't touch them at all. She curled up on the back seat and fell asleep.

Off to nosework class!
Old 10-19-2013, 05:11 PM
Silence, peasants.

Um...starting teaching Feist to skateboard. She's now skateboarding around hoping for more treats/tuggy, LOL.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 10-19-2013, 05:26 PM
Top Dog

Bathed dried Brooks. Fluffy dog is fluffy