The dog musing/vent thread

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
Took Joey back to the vet for a SNAP test. Tested negative on all accounts.

He does seem to be a little better today. His eye looks better and he actually ate his dinner. But now he will not stop whining when I'm trying to sleep. I let him sleep in my bed the past few nights because I felt bad as wanted to snuggle him. Bad idea I'm now regretting because now he doesn't want to sleep in his crate and has been whining the past two hours.

I should add I have to be up at 3 for work.
When I am alone here at the ranch I sometimes entertain the thought of letting Josefina in bed with me but when OH comes back and when I leave to work it would mean back on the floor and I dread the extinction burst I might create lol.

So I guess I have to settle for reaching over and petting her during the night.

Our new job has us up at 5 am ... I don't miss 3 am AT ALL! -_-

Grab

Took Joey back to the vet for a SNAP test. Tested negative on all accounts.

He does seem to be a little better today. His eye looks better and he actually ate his dinner. But now he will not stop whining when I'm trying to sleep. I let him sleep in my bed the past few nights because I felt bad as wanted to snuggle him. Bad idea I'm now regretting because now he doesn't want to sleep in his crate and has been whining the past two hours.

I should add I have to be up at 3 for work.
Did they send home any pain meds? Eye issues can be really uncomfortable. I know that my late Legend had a horrifically long issue with ulcers/surgeries for the ulcers/etc and he was a bit out of sorts for awhile.

skittledoo

Crazy naked dog lady
When I am alone here at the ranch I sometimes entertain the thought of letting Josefina in bed with me but when OH comes back and when I leave to work it would mean back on the floor and I dread the extinction burst I might create lol.

So I guess I have to settle for reaching over and petting her during the night.

Our new job has us up at 5 am ... I don't miss 3 am AT ALL! -_-

Haha. My husband's rule used to be no dogs on the bed, but he caved. Now majority of the time only one dog is allowed to sleep on the bed at a time but every so often it will be 2 or all 3. Usually Cricket is the one that sleeps with us. I have really bad anxiety and I have trouble sleeping because of it and she tends to press herself up against me so that I feel like I'm wrapped tighter in my blanket and that helps me sleep for some reason.

Did they send home any pain meds? Eye issues can be really uncomfortable. I know that my late Legend had a horrifically long issue with ulcers/surgeries for the ulcers/etc and he was a bit out of sorts for awhile.

Ya they sent him home with an antibiotic with steroid for his eye. It isn't drops. It's more like an ointment and I have to put an inch of it across his eye twice a day for 5 days.

I'm giving him benedryl in addition to hopefully keep the itchiness down.

Grab

Had Brooks hanging out in the bedroom after his last potty run. He was working on downs, etc. Then he got up and peed on the corner of the bed:eek: Not acceptable, jerkface!

Fran101

Resident fainting goat
Merlin is such a smart, quick to learn dog.... we are just having issues with impulse control when it comes to leash walking

He will be in a perfect heel, see another one of his dog friends, and before a second passes he HITS the end of the leash, realizes what he has done and will come back and walk next to me.
BUT he always JERKS forward.

:/ he is a year old. I just feel like I should be a better trainer to him by now... sometimes I get so lazy.

Torch

Merlin is such a smart, quick to learn dog.... we are just having issues with impulse control when it comes to leash walking

He will be in a perfect heel, see another one of his dog friends, and before a second passes he HITS the end of the leash, realizes what he has done and will come back and walk next to me.
BUT he always JERKS forward.

:/ he is a year old. I just feel like I should be a better trainer to him by now... sometimes I get so lazy.
That's me too. I have an 8 month old who is a bit wild on the leash. I keep reminding myself that, overall, he has great leash manners for his age, but it's still tough sometimes.

Looking back, I'd say it took me about 18 months to build a really solid loose leash behavior with Henry. It takes SO much repetition in real world situations for them to build that impulse control.

Dogdragoness

Happy Halloween!!
That's me too. I have an 8 month old who is a bit wild on the leash. I keep reminding myself that, overall, he has great leash manners for his age, but it's still tough sometimes.

Looking back, I'd say it took me about 18 months to build a really solid loose leash behavior with Henry. It takes SO much repetition in real world situations for them to build that impulse control.
Same here.

Fran don't feel bad, Josefina was the same way (with people too, ESP excited kids too lol) it wasn't until she was about 2 or 3 that she started showing some control over her impulses. I don't kid myself ... She still has them, but now she thinks before she acts ... Now instead of lunging, she will make like she is going to take a step or twitch, then look at me for direction.

Merlin will get there, just be consistent :) a year old is still young.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
I hate offleash dogs. We went to the school to use one of their fields to practice our disc dog routine and here comes this big husky mix running straight at us. O_O I called Talon to me, David had Art and leashed them both. Luckily the husky just seemed curious but not pushy so he stayed a bit aways. Then we decide to walk home and he follows us getting closer and closer. So I decide to stop to let Talon get a bit further ahead and let Art say hi to it. They say hi the dog is very friendly, but then says "Oh look, that bigger dog up ahead is obviously my friend too!" and rushes up to david and Talon. >_<

Talon was so terrified, he went all teeth. The dog stayed on us the entire walk home (which is 5 blocks or so), but is pretty respectful. By the time we get home Talon is doing better, much less teeth. I go inside put Art away and grab my phone. I came out to find the dogs eating snow together and sniffing each other calmly. So yay for that. Dog had a collar so I called and the guy was in the city so we stayed outside until he got there (45 minutes in the freezing rain >_<) and collected the dog.

It happens, dogs get out, but darnit they ruined a really good practice and I wasn't happy to have Talon freaking out, even if in the end he was calmer.

Shakou

I found a lump on Ma'ii's leg. It's not really big, but it's definitely there and isn't a cyst. God **** it.

Gimmick was approved to go back into daycare today. We just got home and he passed out in his dog bed. He's so exhausted that he asnt even noticed the dorito I dropped on him.

Gambit...Gambit has a few things going on, but they might need their own thread.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Took dogs to the dog park, was a bit nervous about Talon since it was his first time back to the dog park since he's been attacked. We decided to give it a try for a few reasons, 1)We didn't think there would be a lot of people. 2) he's not getting ANY good interactions anywhere else 3) We've worked on his recall a lot and felt he was ready to go without harrasing little dogs.

We went, and to our surpise there was a lot of dogs. Almost didn't go in, but in the end we decided to try it and I'm really glad we did. He was nervous and stiff at first, but calmed down and had an absolute blast! He is a giant mud ball, but he did so good and he even did great with an offleash dog while he was still on leash I can't complain about the mud.

Plus I saw the most amazing thing I've ever seen at a dog park. A big group of dogs was stressing a lab out that came had just come in. One dog flew by jumping towards and then running away (it was playing with a different dog) and it freaked the lab out and the lab went into a bit of a nervous barking tizzy. ALL of the owners near the lab (including lab owner) recalled their dogs AND held them all for about a minute to let everyone calm down. They all talked about it as they held the dogs and the owners of the younger dogs who were a bit too much for the lab took their dogs to play with the other rough houser's while the lab played with the other half of the group that was more it's speed. And all was well ^_^

*blackrose

"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"
Abrams apparently gets a little too excited whilst training. Which results in him loosing his focus to lick certain areas. Gross boy dog.

Babyblue5290

Happy Meal. Yum.
Abrams apparently gets a little too excited whilst training. Which results in him loosing his focus to lick certain areas. Gross boy dog.
BWAHAHA! Talon does that too, it kills me since he randomly stops, looks down at it like he doesn't know what the heck is happening. :rofl1: Boy dogs are icky lol

Torch

THANK GOD Rhys is somewhat unaware of his package. He spends remarkable little time worrying about it. And so far we have very little sexual behavior.

He is obsessed with human crotches, so there's that, though.

Laurelin

I'm All Ears
Do I live with a dog? Or a monkey-cat-thing?

We were working on some shaping. You know... had the intent to work on play dead and then totally free shaped something completely different. Mia had a turn then I was working with Summer in the kitchen. I had the kitchen blocked off with a gate and Mia was unhappy.

I'm working then I hear something clattering around on the bar between the kitchen and the living room. Yup. She was up there. I told her to get down then she went and jumped in the bath tub for god know why. This happened several times.

Whisper

Kaleidoscopic Eye
Gah, why am I such a weirdo with my dogs? I really want to participate in the trick of the week (dead dog), but I can't. Maybe it's because I came too close to losing Fable, I don't know, but when we started training it totally freaked me out.
:eek:

Beanie

Clicker Cult Coordinator
Gah, why am I such a weirdo with my dogs? I really want to participate in the trick of the week (dead dog), but I can't. Maybe it's because I came too close to losing Fable, I don't know, but when we started training it totally freaked me out.
:eek:
Don't worry... I'm not doing it either for the same reason. I just... can't train that one. You're not alone.

Members online

No members online now.