Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-24-2013, 10:27 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
So basically before he loses all his hearing, start adding hand signals as I do voice commands?

How should I mark the behaviors once he does lose his hearing? I can piece together all his tricks with hand signals, but should I phase out the clicker?
You might pick up a vibration collar. You put it on and when you push a button the collar will vibrate against their neck. If you pair it with treats the vibration will become a reward marker. I knew a couple with a deaf dalmatian who used one. Some people also just use it as a way to let the dog know "hey, this is vibrating, I want you to come."

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-24-2013, 12:06 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I just quit my dog class. Theyre nice people but I don't learn anything, and I seriously feel Fred actually goes backwards rather than forwards. Its too chaotic, he's completely over stimulated there, you get no direction at all. Its a bit... Dare I say it...... Amateur. Its not right for us..... Eek!!!

I can do more on my own with him. Plus I'm signed up for agility soon and she seems seriously good, trains in obedience, agility and rally (uncommon in the UK). I'm hoping once I get to meet her and start agility classes we can sign up to more there.

Feel quite relieved not to be going back actually... Shame as they were friendly and it was the closest place to me (45 mins away!! I can't be too picky ).
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 09-24-2013, 12:45 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

I am pet sitting a friends JRT puppy and Panzer thinks she is a present just for him. Ha ha.

Teagan thinks it needs to cease to exist.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 09-24-2013, 10:59 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muttkip View Post
**** it Beau you're not allowed to be getting old

Why must your hearing be going of all things!!!?

Any thoughts on how to train an older dog that is used to voice commands to hand signals? He's used to a clicker but with his hearing going that isn't much help. He has no toy drive anymore and works well for food.
You can use a flashlight to mark behaviors, or the vibration collar. I think I'd go with light to mark and vibration for "come" so you have the security of a way to call him back to you without confusion.

If you do some Googling, you'll find a ton of supportive websites with training info for deaf dogs. He'll do fine!

It sounds like you have the chance to teach some hand signals before it goes completely, so take advantage of that and use it as an opportunity to do something fun and new together (his perspective.)

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12
Old 09-24-2013, 11:27 PM
orange iguanas.

Man I suck at having a floofy dog. I just had my hands on Happy and, gosh darn it, I think she's even thinner than Juno is. Looks like her weight loss went a little too well, she's much ribbier than an old lady like herself needs to be! She'll be happy to have extra food. I just feel bad for not noticing it, all that hair hides it well, she just always looks the same!

Now I need to get her butt on a scale and see where we're at.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 09-25-2013, 12:25 AM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Man I suck at having a floofy dog. I just had my hands on Happy and, gosh darn it, I think she's even thinner than Juno is. Looks like her weight loss went a little too well, she's much ribbier than an old lady like herself needs to be! She'll be happy to have extra food. I just feel bad for not noticing it, all that hair hides it well, she just always looks the same!

I always kept Rosey on the ribby side when she got older, because I've always been of the opinion that it's even more important to have them not carrying any extra weight when they get older joints.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 09-25-2013, 01:08 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by JessLough View Post
I always kept Rosey on the ribby side when she got older, because I've always been of the opinion that it's even more important to have them not carrying any extra weight when they get older joints.
Except that then if they get sick, like Buzz did, they have NOTHING to lose and you have to seriously consider E-vet and IV fluids to bring them back to normal. If he'd had even an extra two pounds, he would have been fine. Instead every bone protruded and his recovery was that much harder because he didn't have enough (much at all?) in reserve.

He has FINALLY put on weight so I'm comfortable. He is in no way fat and you can still easily feel ribs, but they don't protrude to the point I feel like I can't take him out in public.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 9 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 09-25-2013, 06:29 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post

Um...so how about some PICTURES????
Old 09-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I'm All Ears

Mia is having some epiphanies lately. First the realization that one can catch objects other than tennis balls from the air- namely food.

Second now is that she can tell me that she had to go potty outside.

Seriously I just gave up on her ever letting me know. As a pup she'd go outside but if you didn't get her outside she would just go where she was. Gradually she got to where she never had accidents but still never even attempted communication about needing to go. All my past dogs, including Summer, would ask to be let outside. Nope not Mia.

Last week she asked to go outside for the first time ever. And now she's asking pretty regularly (but not obnoxiously).

Seriously. Communication breakthrough! So odd to me that such an in tune and vocal/demanding dog never tried communicating her need to potty before.
Old 09-25-2013, 10:47 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

CURSE having Novice dogs... Georgie is the VERY LAST dog to run Sunday at our next agility trial. Are you kidding?? BAH.

And my competitive nature will NOT allow me to just pack it in and go home early without running her. So I will be there until probably 4pm. Luckily the trial is in Indy, so we time travel on the way back home - so should still get home around 5pm or so.

I like it better when I have an excellent dog and get home at 2pm though LOL.

We're joking we need to work REALLY hard to make sure she Qs quickly so we can get out of Novice hahaha. P has one more Novice Standard Q and he's out, I'm pretty sure we can knock that out in three tries.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog