Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 09-04-2013, 08:56 PM
love herds

I want another dog so bad it hurts. That is all.

"A dog of uncanny brain and great loving loyal heart and with a dancing sense of fun, a dog with a soul."- Albert Payson Terhune (lad)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:03 PM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

I haz Pittie want. Whyyy? What do I think a whole bully family would be awesome? The stubbornness and lack of biddability would kill me.

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 09-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
I haz Pittie want. Whyyy? What do I think a whole bully family would be awesome? The stubbornness and lack of biddability would kill me.
How many pit bulls have you trained? They're notorious people pleasers, their drive can be conceived as stubbornness but they're extremely easy to train and manage with the exception of managing prey drive and dog aggression.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
How many pit bulls have you trained? They're notorious people pleasers, their drive can be conceived as stubbornness but they're extremely easy to train and manage with the exception of managing prey drive and dog aggression.
What Adrianne says. They're really, really easy. I have Staffords of course, not exactly the same, but really similar. This is my first competition dog, also the first dog I owned as an adult:

UACH UWPCH UCDX Yankeestaff Lickle Me Elmo UD MX MXJ OAC NJC CGC TT

I adopted him as a rehome/rescue at just under 4 years old, with the thought of doing a little obedience. (He came with basically no training; he knew sit, and had a vague idea what down was.) As you can see, my plans expanded. After his Novice title in obedience, I did all the obedience training myself, no classes. (someone told me I couldn't possibly train my Novice A dog in Utility by myself. I really have to stop letting random people influence my behavior.)
Old 09-04-2013, 09:38 PM
Top Dog

Lucy's leash clip broke while I was getting her out of the car to get ice cream. My heart just about stopped because for about 30 seconds she was more interested in sniffing something than me and there was a busy road nearby. But, she finished her sniffing and came right over when I called her so crisis averted.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:41 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Pits and pit mixes are the most common dog in my training class and I definitely wouldn't classify them as stubborn. I would agree with Adrienne. They really are the sweetest little things. If I were willing to have fewer dogs or in a situation where crate + rotate wouldn't be so frustrating, I would definitely have one. I love them.

And I think they might possibly be the cutest puppies.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
Pits and pit mixes are the most common dog in my training class and I definitely wouldn't classify them as stubborn. I would agree with Adrienne. They really are the sweetest little things. If I were willing to have fewer dogs or in a situation where crate + rotate wouldn't be so frustrating, I would definitely have one. I love them.

And I think they might possibly be the cutest puppies.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdrianneIsabel View Post
Why do I never see them in training classes, trials, etc? They are very popular 'out and about', definitely one of the most commonly owned dogs, but I never see them in training. It makes me kind of sad.

Old 09-04-2013, 10:06 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
Why do I never see them in training classes, trials, etc? They are very popular 'out and about', definitely one of the most commonly owned dogs, but I never see them in training. It makes me kind of sad.
Well, I'll tell you the reason I always see them in my classes - the local humane society has a policy for "special adoptions" that you MUST take a training class. And any dog under 1 year old is a "special adoption." About half the dogs at our humane society right now are pit mix puppies. So about half the dogs, assuming they get adopted, will be required to be enrolled in and complete a training class.

The options in town are PetSmart or two privately owned training place, one being us and the second being a woman who doesn't have her own building, so we get quite a lot of them.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 09-04-2013, 10:22 PM
Glutton for Crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I do get a lot of pit bulls in my basic classes.

However, for sports, some of it is the bias, some of it is the concern for dog issues.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.
Old 09-04-2013, 10:35 PM
orange iguanas.

I can be a stickler when it comes to manners, and one of the things that I give myself an A+ in is that Juno does not jump on people, period. And yet today when I got home from work, Juno was OMG SO HAPPY to see me and wriggling all over the place, and I ignored her for a little bit while I got my stuff put away... she decided the wait was killing her and that I could ignore her no longer, so she jumped up on me. Nothing obnoxious. It was the most gentle jump ever. As much as I hate dogs jumping up.... This put the biggest smile on my face. And I made sure to tell her she was the awesomest dog ever.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013