Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-09-2014, 11:27 PM
I'm All Ears

Oh hey, the available papillon is Bernard's cousin.
Old 07-09-2014, 11:30 PM
Show Dog

One of those days where I do not want this dog...

...someone give me the patience and strength...
Old 07-09-2014, 11:49 PM
floor dancer

Got this awesome thing called a Tick Key. Used it today, and holy crap everyone needs one of these. It is SO easy to get ticks off!!

http://www.amazon.com/Tick-Key-TickK...words=tick+key
Old 07-09-2014, 11:54 PM
Sport Model Pug

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Yeah we're going to have to do some calming work for sure. It's not her nature but she needs to learn how to calm.

I... want this dog on petfinder. Really badly. She's a McNab mix. Ugh god, I can't even describe why. Her description is very vague just says sweet, good with dogs and people, and energetic.

I keep looking at the paperwork and you do have to put an address but it doesn't look thorough. It's a county shelter and not a rescue. I'm SO tempted to just use Dad's address or something. Or ask a friend to try pulling her. I mean... my foot is halfway out the door right now. I am looking hard at homes to own. Maybe she'll still be available in the fall? Ugh probably not.

I also got sent a email about a performance papillon puppy in need of a home. Black and white, both parents are CHIC'd which is awesome for the breed. Being homed because of a mismark.

AND my friend that runs sheltie rescue has a sports prospect sheltie right now.

I've had some bad feelings about the breeder I was looking at. Just not sure about things... Their dogs are awesome or seem that way. Just... uneasy and much like the feeling I had with Mia's breeder and I DON'T want a repeat. Some of my favorite agility dogs are rescues and to top it off I wouldn't have to put down $1500 for a rescue right off the bat.... I just wish I was more experienced in picking a performance dog.

Move NAOW please? I want that McNab mix.

Summer had an off day tonight and that probably is making me more anxious. 1 second over course time every time. Like it or not, my agility dog is getting old.
Send me the pap.

Izzie the Wonderpug RA AGIS AGJIS MADC AGDC MSDC CGN

The Proudest Pug
Old 07-10-2014, 08:17 AM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Yeah we're going to have to do some calming work for sure. It's not her nature but she needs to learn how to calm.

I... want this dog on petfinder. Really badly. She's a McNab mix. Ugh god, I can't even describe why. Her description is very vague just says sweet, good with dogs and people, and energetic.

I keep looking at the paperwork and you do have to put an address but it doesn't look thorough. It's a county shelter and not a rescue. I'm SO tempted to just use Dad's address or something. Or ask a friend to try pulling her. I mean... my foot is halfway out the door right now. I am looking hard at homes to own. Maybe she'll still be available in the fall? Ugh probably not.

I also got sent a email about a performance papillon puppy in need of a home. Black and white, both parents are CHIC'd which is awesome for the breed. Being homed because of a mismark.

AND my friend that runs sheltie rescue has a sports prospect sheltie right now.

I've had some bad feelings about the breeder I was looking at. Just not sure about things... Their dogs are awesome or seem that way. Just... uneasy and much like the feeling I had with Mia's breeder and I DON'T want a repeat. Some of my favorite agility dogs are rescues and to top it off I wouldn't have to put down $1500 for a rescue right off the bat.... I just wish I was more experienced in picking a performance dog.

Move NAOW please? I want that McNab mix.

Summer had an off day tonight and that probably is making me more anxious. 1 second over course time every time. Like it or not, my agility dog is getting old.
I wanna seeeeeee

Finding a breeder you're (general you) happy and comfortable with is hard and stressful, to me.
Selfishly, I'm glad I'm not the only one
I've almost always went the rescue or rehome route... That's why I'm determined to go to a good breeder this time. But look at Meg and Gusto, I think you could be just as be happy with rescue sports prospect just... Choose better than I did haha

Last night my Mom did a pretty good job of talking me out of NextDog I mentioned to her that I was thinking about putting a deposit down on a litter that's happening next year. She was like "do you really want three dogs?" and then guilted me over Maddie, and her age, and she might "need more help next year." I decided I'd sleep on it before deciding. I woke up crushed and feeling depressed about it ugh

Maddie's doing a lot better she is doing soooo good with her PT. But she's still got an obvious limp. 3 more weeks until re-eval and decide on a brace.

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 07-10-2014, 09:24 AM
such sights to show you

Aheee, that's pretty much how I got all my current dogs. THAT'S MY DOG I NEED IT on petfinder/the internet.

Of course, I didn't have a specific activity in mind, but I'm not sure it would make a difference for me. I'm just a little gut-driven in making decisions.

Old 07-10-2014, 09:36 AM
I'm All Ears

I'm wondering about maybe attempting to foster a few shelter dogs till I find one that fits? I browsed petfinder until 1 am yesterday and saw at least a dozen dogs that were interesting to me just sitting in local shelters. I'd rather deal with a shelter than a rescue, I think.

But if you sign paperwork to 'adopt' then decide the dog doesn't have the drive or doesn't get along with the paps, etc. Would it be bad to pull a dog from a kill shelter, try it out, then adopt it out? Is there a good method of doing that?

I'm just... fed up with breeders. I need to call the other one but it's still going to be expensive once you factor in flying there (she does not ship).
Old 07-10-2014, 09:43 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
I'm wondering about maybe attempting to foster a few shelter dogs till I find one that fits? I browsed petfinder until 1 am yesterday and saw at least a dozen dogs that were interesting to me just sitting in local shelters. I'd rather deal with a shelter than a rescue, I think.

But if you sign paperwork to 'adopt' then decide the dog doesn't have the drive or doesn't get along with the paps, etc. Would it be bad to pull a dog from a kill shelter, try it out, then adopt it out? Is there a good method of doing that?

I'm just... fed up with breeders. I need to call the other one but it's still going to be expensive once you factor in flying there (she does not ship).
I don't know about your local shelter but mine is totally fine with adopting an animal to then find it a home. The issue only arrises sometimes when you get that animal as healthy and trained as possible and the dog isn't what you want for a sport dog...and no home arrises...and then you are kind of stuck lol but that is totally locational in some places depending on what breed you foster you will always find someone. I think it's a great idea! Working with shelters is so wonderfully simple.... you know less about the dogs, but if you are willing to wait and work with a few then I'd say it's your best bet

*Important tidbit: you've gotta switch the paperwork at the shelter/call them to give the new owners info if it's a city shelter or else you'll get notices/fines if the dog doesn't get it's rabies shot etc.. most places you just have to fill out a form to transfer ownership.

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 07-10-2014, 07:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
But look at Meg and Gusto, I think you could be just as be happy with rescue sports prospect just... Choose better than I did haha
And train them better than I did Although to be fair, I think that has less to do with the rescue thing. Every dog I'm seeing come out of the same program I had my two in is having the same sorts of issues.

I'm pretty sure I'll go with a breeder next time, although I'm going to be carefully watching my friend raise her new dog so I can see if it is what I really want to do. But for a lot of reasons, I am really happy with my rescue dogs as well (the cost doesn't hurt - $40 total for the two dogs ).

Mostly I think you need to share pictures of the dogs you mentioned.

Old 07-11-2014, 01:23 AM
Top Dog

Was hanging out with my mother today and she's watching a TV show about the military and their dogs. One of the main dogs is a German Shepherd puppy (which they also occasionally switch out with a Malinois puppy, for the biting scenes, of course LOL). Anyway, now she seems to have been hit with some major puppy fever and I'm taking full advantage of this.

I mentioned this in the other thread (NextDog Plans), but now she wants

1) a Pomeranian to name "Little Lion Head" (in Chinese) or

2) an Alaskan Noble Companion for me (thanks to Brynne's photos of Yarrow on Facebook)

Hahahahahaha.... oh god what am I going to do .___.