Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 06-27-2014, 08:26 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Proud of Abrams. While we still really need to work on things, he did a long distance sit and a long distance down with only mild encouragement from me, and held a stay and waited to be released to fetch the ball we were playing with with absolutely nothing more from me than just telling him to stay. He stayed, he kept his eye on the ball, and when released he retrieved it with intensity even though it wasn't moving any longer. Good boy.

As an added bonus, he's now laying down being good instead of driving us all bonkers. LOL

Old 06-27-2014, 08:34 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I think I might be turning into a person that plans on having more small dogs...I'm not sure how I feel about that.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 06-28-2014, 12:05 AM
orange iguanas.

I apparently suck at dog ownership and turn dogs into neurotic weirdos. While out on a walk with Juno and Cajun, a group of kids came out and asked if they could pet them. I said sure, expecting Juno to be shy but figuring Cajun would be fine with it. Both dogs actually happily approached the kids and started sniffing them but as soon as one of the kids put their hand out to pet them, BOTH dogs were like OMG WHAT SMALL PERSON NO.

I actually lucked out that this was a pretty cool group of kids lol, once the dogs backed away they were like "oh no, they're shy" and stopped reaching for them. I had my treat bag on me so I gave them all a treat and they held their hands out for the dogs to take them and that was okay, and then the kids were like asking me what training I was doing with them, if they were mine, how long I've had them etc

But anyway, I just don't know why I am horrible when it comes to maintaining my dogs' social skills. I am their universe, they will approach someone else on their own terms, but don't you dare make any moves toward them.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-29-2014, 01:17 AM
Duuuuude.

If you refer to my dog as "that dog" in a tone that reminds me of Aunt Sarah from Lady and the Tramp, I am significantly less inclined to be sympathetic and want to help you.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 06-29-2014, 01:44 AM
orange iguanas.

I need an a-frame for my yard. Cajun was introduced to it in agility today and she says it is BEST THING EVER. Which I love because Juno thinks it is the WORST thing ever.

I didn't really even have to lure her or reward her at all. She just ran right over it and was like YEAH RUNNING. She has no body awareness at all so one time she got to the top and mis-stepped and fell off and was totally like don't care, I'mma do it again. And anytime we walked anywhere near it she would just take off up the darn thing and then I'd have to jog after her because once she committed I couldn't just stop her lol.

She's having a blast in this class.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 06-29-2014, 09:57 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Woke up to poor Payton having had a poosplosion. Poor guy tries to be good, it happened right in front of my bedroom door, he WANTED to get out. He just doesn't think to bark or scratch the door or anything... he just stands there (while I'm asleep) staring (while I'm asleep) until he inevitably can't hold it anymore (because I'm asleep.)

Of course it smelled horrible so I woke up right away. Most of it was on the wood floor but he had some on his butt still so it got on the dog bed when he tried to climb into one. Had to lift Auggie over the poo to the hallway, then lift Payton over the poo to the hallway, step over poo, let boys out. Get the bleach and wipes and start cleaning. Got that all cleaned up so I could let Pepper out (dumb-dumb would have just gone DURRRRR and run straight through the poo before I could have lifted her over it, I just know it.)

Realized he also got a few little spots on my area rug, so... drug that downstairs to roll out and use the carpet cleaner on. Took the bed downstairs too and while I'm doing that, might as well do the other one and the crate beds - SURPRISE looks like at some point Pepper pooped in her crate too. So pulled the crates out to clean. Might as well wash the towel that the crates sit on. Also since that's all out I guess I'll take my drapes down (the crates are in front of the drapes and the drapes get kinda hairy as a result) and wash those...

WASH ALL THE THINGS.

Ugh. Wasn't really planning on doing massive amounts of cleaning and laundry today but I guess that's what I'm doing.

Note to self... if you think "this steak is still pretty raw" it's PROBABLY too raw for Payton to handle.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 06-29-2014, 11:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I think I might be turning into a person that plans on having more small dogs...I'm not sure how I feel about that.
Define "small" and what breed types...
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 06-29-2014, 11:21 AM
The Monster.

So I went to an Aussie meetup yesterday. One of the other people who attended was a local breeder of show Aussies. I chatted with him a bit and picked his brain a bit about conformation, breeding, etc. I asked him for his opinion on Cohen. He pretty much told me the opposite of any of the feedback that I'd received online. (He felt it was her front that threw her off, where I'd always been told it was her rear.)

I asked him where he might suggest I go if I (hypothetically) wanted another Aussie as a sports/performance prospect. He went off on a tangent about how structure is more important than drive and how he breeds for type, how I should get a dog from a show breeder [ie, him] and pick the driviest pup, blah blah blah and then eventually summed up his point by saying that I should just get a Border Collie.

His dogs looked lovely, but they were the epitome of showlumps to me. Steady temperaments, probably lovely pets, but kind of boring and with too much bone. Also they were HUGELY overweight. Why are Aussies supposed to be lumps now?

I came away from the conversation pleased to have made another contact, but a bit dismayed as to the state of (at least local) Aussie breeding.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog

Last edited by Sekah; 06-29-2014 at 12:00 PM.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:39 PM
I'm All Ears

Summer and I tried rally in the first time in around 2 years now. I am pleased she remembers heeling sort of. It went better than expected but man, heeling wears her out so fast! She was pooped.

Also, I should not be allowed to have clippers at my house. I clipped Mia down SHORT (it looks pretty bad but she loves it) and Summer got trimmed a lot too.

And when I trimmed Summer, Mia wanted to get shaved again. She LOVES it.

Sekah, you should look at working line aussies imo. They're very different.
Old 06-29-2014, 12:42 PM
Sit! Good dog.

I really want a French bulldog. Irrational want! I want a lap dog that's a actually lap sized.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein