Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-16-2014, 12:48 AM
floor dancer

My dog's nose is amazing. She actually found an ibuprofen pill I dropped. This isn't trained, but I know she knew it had dropped on the floor by the way her ears went (I thought I had dropped it in the drawer the bottle was in)... so I just asked her where it went and she started sniffing the ground, and stopped when she found it. No other cue, except for stopping and holding her nose right in front of it.

She didn't even try to eat/lick it. Good job, Roxie. Good girl.

I think I am grossly under utilizing her abilities. I have got to get her into tracking or something when I get a car.
Old 05-16-2014, 01:50 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Picklepaige View Post
http://northmiss.craigslist.org/pet/4471857165.html

This isn't a disaster waiting to happen.
Seems legit o.O
Old 05-16-2014, 09:10 PM
floor dancer

Got our first "is that dog going to eat me?" comment today.

It's always awesome to move to a new place and start over with the, "no, she's actually not a pit bull, and she's full body wagging because she LOVES people. The reason I'm holding her back is because she's a licker and most people don't like that, not because she's viscous".

Who in the hell seriously thinks a dog is going to eat them when they're full body wagging?

Lord, people. Canine body language ought to be like taught in health class or something lol.
Old 05-16-2014, 11:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Mia just fell and got stuck between the couch and the wall. I probably shouldn't be laughing at her but....
Old 05-17-2014, 08:33 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Mia just fell and got stuck between the couch and the wall. I probably shouldn't be laughing at her but....
That's hilarious as long as she wasn't hurt lol.

Ok... vibes please. I'm competing in rally with Cricket today and tomorrow. I've never done rally before and I get really nervous going into something new. There's also a dog show and a few beezers showing today and tomorrow so I can't wait to watch them as well.

Anyways, Cricket and I have been practicing a LOT lately. She knows all the stuff we need to know for novice rally. Problem is we had a pretty sucky lesson last week. We were at a park and even though we found a secluded area of the park to work at she was so distracted that it was a fight just to get her focus back on me. Didn't help that squirrels were running around everywhere. Since then she has been a little off even in low distraction environments.

I'm not sure if she is "off" because her allergies are bothering her or if it's because I'm nervous about competing and putting too much pressure or what.

Our last practice was GREAT though. I used hot dog instead of regular training treats to encourage her more. Problem is we can't use treats in the ring so we'll just have to see how this goes. I'm going to practice her a little with hot dog before we go in the ring and hope that she stays interested.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-17-2014, 09:06 AM
Wanna Pet My Wiener?

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
That's hilarious as long as she wasn't hurt lol.

Ok... vibes please. I'm competing in rally with Cricket today and tomorrow. I've never done rally before and I get really nervous going into something new. There's also a dog show and a few beezers showing today and tomorrow so I can't wait to watch them as well.

Anyways, Cricket and I have been practicing a LOT lately. She knows all the stuff we need to know for novice rally. Problem is we had a pretty sucky lesson last week. We were at a park and even though we found a secluded area of the park to work at she was so distracted that it was a fight just to get her focus back on me. Didn't help that squirrels were running around everywhere. Since then she has been a little off even in low distraction environments.

I'm not sure if she is "off" because her allergies are bothering her or if it's because I'm nervous about competing and putting too much pressure or what.

Our last practice was GREAT though. I used hot dog instead of regular training treats to encourage her more. Problem is we can't use treats in the ring so we'll just have to see how this goes. I'm going to practice her a little with hot dog before we go in the ring and hope that she stays interested.

The biggest issue will be your nerves, trust me. Nola did flawlessly at her trial, but I messed up a lot because I was so nervous and as a result we got points docked. Go for a run before hand, it'll help you both!

I used the highest value treats I had (hotdog, hamburger, ect) and did a mock run before we went in. It helped to keep her engaged and turned to "work" mode.

The Watchmen "Pike"
Blue merle Miniature American Shepherd puppy

Dachshund Nola: Life as a crazy, fun loving Doxie
http://dachshundnola.blogspot.com
Old 05-17-2014, 09:43 AM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmandaNola View Post
The biggest issue will be your nerves, trust me. Nola did flawlessly at her trial, but I messed up a lot because I was so nervous and as a result we got points docked. Go for a run before hand, it'll help you both!

I used the highest value treats I had (hotdog, hamburger, ect) and did a mock run before we went in. It helped to keep her engaged and turned to "work" mode.
I'm going to try this as well. I'm also going to take some happy traveler for myself to hopefully keep me from being so nervous.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 05-17-2014, 10:06 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Omigod, I'm dying.

Old 05-17-2014, 10:35 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

What happens when you have too much alcohol after undergoing a morning of security training? This.

Proof that my dog and my husband were made for each other. ROFL

Old 05-17-2014, 11:08 AM
Very Food Agressive

Tango thinks he should be classified as a liquid. He conforms the the shape of whatever container he's in.

Practice what you preach or keep your mouth shut.