Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-03-2014, 10:37 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I don't know what your life plans are and I know that you probably know this already, but if you will be moving around and possibly living on-base occasionally, you may want to think long and hard about bully-type breeds unfortunately. They are banned on many (all?) military bases.
Yup. We're going to have a very serious discussion about it. As I said, there are a LOT of things that really need to be "right" to even make this feasible, and I doubt it will happen.

It wouldn't be a deal breaker for me, as there are options that could get around it (and DH has no plans to renew his contract when it expires and he isn't set for a new duty station until 2017)...but yes. Lots of dicussion.

(I don't know what the local base's on the book policy is for dogs, but driving through I've seen Rotties, Mastiffs, Shepherds, and bully-esque dogs, and some families have three dogs out in their yard. So how enforced things are, I have no idea.)

Old 05-03-2014, 10:56 AM
Behavior Nerd

Quote:
Local training place. They are doing 'group walks' once a week.

"Dog must be wearing a Flat Collar or Harness, NO choke, pinch, shock or other punishment collars or devices please.".

Really?
I don't really see why this is an issue? If I were hosting walks via my business I wouldn't be allowing chokes or shock collars, and prongs only with pre-approval.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:21 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Local training place. They are doing 'group walks' once a week.

"Dog must be wearing a Flat Collar or Harness, NO choke, pinch, shock or other punishment collars or devices please.".

Really?
I don't really see why this is an issue? If I were hosting walks via my business I wouldn't be allowing chokes or shock collars, and prongs only with pre-approval.
I agree; I mean, most training places I've been to don't allow any of those types of collars in class, so I wouldn't expect them to allow them at events they are holding.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:22 PM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I agree; I mean, most training places I've been to don't allow any of those types of collars in class, so I wouldn't expect them to allow them at events they are holding.
Yeah I agree too, ESP if it's like an event where the general public is allowed to attend or something like that, they IMO have no business telling anyone what to use with their dog, maybe they have a reason for using it? Who knows? They don't know the DOG or the handler.

Old 05-03-2014, 12:30 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yeah I agree too, ESP if it's like an event where the general public is allowed to attend or something like that, they IMO have no business telling anyone what to use with their dog, maybe they have a reason for using it? Who knows? They don't know the DOG or the handler.
I think you actually disagree with me, if I'm reading your post correctly. I am not surprised by, nor do I disagree with, a training center's decision to disallow certain devices at anything they are attaching their name to.

Old 05-03-2014, 11:00 PM
Top Dog

It's days like today that I completely, 100% understand and support those people that have left the 'pit bull crowd', bought shepherds, and gone to live in their bitesport circles.

Pit bull people are friggin' insane. So insane that it is easier to abandon your passion than deal with them.

Find me a Maliraptor with 5mm long fur and no double coat and I'm ready.
Old 05-03-2014, 11:51 PM
orange iguanas.

The old adage is true - a tired dog IS a good dog.

This is, legit, the first time I have seen her relax/sleep outside of her crate. And NOT picking on Juno. She was pooped today.

And Juno is just awesome and tolerant and wonderful

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 05-04-2014, 12:27 AM
Nuke it from orbit ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BostonBanker View Post
I think you actually disagree with me, if I'm reading your post correctly. I am not surprised by, nor do I disagree with, a training center's decision to disallow certain devices at anything they are attaching their name to.
Yeah I know ... Darn it I quoted the wrong person again and by the time I realized it >_< sorry.

Anyway ... Generally speaking I don't think it's right for them to insist that everyone who attends their event only use flat collars or harnesses. I mean that wouldn't be a problem for me but what I am saying is everyone has their reasons for using the tools they use. I dog know them or their dog, they might have a reason for using it.

Old 05-04-2014, 05:13 PM
I'm All Ears

Spent 4 hours filming today. The dogs were both troopers.
Old 05-05-2014, 09:40 AM
Show Dog

We had told that:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleonora View Post
My friend had noticed this thread. She wasn't sure if our message would fit in this thread but we'll put it here any way. My friend has a young dog, Lotta, who haven't been trained much yet and she is also interested in teaching Lotta tricks. She would need some ideas of what to teach to Lotta. We created this thread: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270900
We tried to ask for a list of tricks there. However, it seems that other users may not be interested about it. My friend would like to know now in which thread we could ask for ideas of what to teach to Lotta if not in that thread we created? My friend has checked weekly trick threads, however she has seen only one trick that is easy enough for Lotta in one of the threads...//... So, in which thread we could discuss about it?

My friend is also interested in teaching Lotta to fetch but she should first be teached to take and drop on cue. We have a thread about it: http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=270260
Could someone advice on it? We have put also new questions there.

My friend and Asperger
Lotta is funny and playful <<--read more