Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-13-2014, 07:13 PM
Show Dog

Today, after 6 months of stressing over and working on Astro's various issues (resource guarding, terrible loosh leash walking and focus, etc.), I finally got a glimpse of a light at the end of the tunnel. We had an impromptu playdate with one of his favorites, an older Border Collie/Lab who is still a puppy at heart and very willing to play gladiator-style as Astro likes. He walked so well on the leash walk over there, I could've held his leash loop with one finger, and he walked just as well back, which is crazy good considering he's usually only MORE amped up after playdates (even when the other dog is d.on.e. and he should theoretically be tired himself). He even let the other dog share a stick with him!

And now he's laying flat on his side, panting, looking directly up at me with this soft and happy look in his eyes. I now remember why I like pushy, crazy dogs like him....the puppyhood is hell but I'd still rather to bottle up energy than dredge it out, and you get moments like this where you feel like your work has finally paid off
Old 04-13-2014, 07:40 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

YAY Art and Talon!!!! How did he do at class???

I'm so tired of Jari being a boy. He's gross. He licks and chatters CONSTANTLY. I brought him over to my friend's house and she has two intact females (neither is in season or is going in to season obviously) and he just would NOT leave them alone. I thought he would maybe like run and play like a normal dog, but no. Her one dog would do very light corrections that Jari ignored, and her other just didn't care what he was doing. I really hope this phase ends one day :/

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Today at training Kastle threw a fit and bit his leash, the clip, and broke off the tops of two canines. Both into the pulp. Joy. That's three teeth lost to temper tantrums and two to toy drive. He is expensive and stressful. Mom's not happy Loppy...

Here's his "smile"...before the broken canines today
OUCH!!!! Poor dude. Poor you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpaceMutt View Post
Today, after 6 months of stressing over and working on Astro's various issues (resource guarding, terrible loosh leash walking and focus, etc.), I finally got a glimpse of a light at the end of the tunnel. We had an impromptu playdate with one of his favorites, an older Border Collie/Lab who is still a puppy at heart and very willing to play gladiator-style as Astro likes. He walked so well on the leash walk over there, I could've held his leash loop with one finger, and he walked just as well back, which is crazy good considering he's usually only MORE amped up after playdates (even when the other dog is d.on.e. and he should theoretically be tired himself). He even let the other dog share a stick with him!

And now he's laying flat on his side, panting, looking directly up at me with this soft and happy look in his eyes. I now remember why I like pushy, crazy dogs like him....the puppyhood is hell but I'd still rather to bottle up energy than dredge it out, and you get moments like this where you feel like your work has finally paid off
I love when they show you that there is hope. Jari's been doing that a bit the past few days and it's been SO nice.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 04-13-2014, 08:01 PM
Top Dog

I love that after two hours of trick training and agility work at the school, fetch in the park to unwind, and then running beside my bike the whole way home, Venice is scampering up and down my hallway with a ball teasing foster boy. I wanted a dog I could count on to keep up with me and play all day, and I think that's just what I got.
Old 04-13-2014, 08:16 PM
orange iguanas.

It sleeps!!! We've officially had Cajun for a week and today is the first day she's actually laid down, without being in her crate. At one point she even curled up and took a nap. I was beginning to think this wasn't possible.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-13-2014, 08:58 PM
Top Dog

It just occurred to me not long ago that the Dobermans are both beginning to look old. They're not old. Ripley turns five years old in a week, and Keira is six and a half... but they just look older somehow recently. Keira especially. Neither has any grey hairs, but their eyes and just something else that I can't pinpoint look older. :-(

Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Ripley
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM RN
Old 04-13-2014, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
Today at training Kastle threw a fit and bit his leash, the clip, and broke off the tops of two canines. Both into the pulp. Joy. That's three teeth lost to temper tantrums and two to toy drive. He is expensive and stressful. Mom's not happy Loppy...

Here's his "smile"...before the broken canines today
Holy crow, Kastle. I remember that before image. YOU NEED TEETH KASTLE. TEETH THAT STAY IN YOUR MOUTH. It's a good thing you love him...

I'm really surprised by how easy Kastle makes breaking teeth seem. I mean, I'd imagine that it'd take quite a bit of force to break off teeth even on a metal clip, but maybe not? Either way, really sorry you have to deal with this (again)!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
It sleeps!!! We've officially had Cajun for a week and today is the first day she's actually laid down, without being in her crate. At one point she even curled up and took a nap. I was beginning to think this wasn't possible.
Awesome!! Definitely good news!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toller_08 View Post
It just occurred to me not long ago that the Dobermans are both beginning to look old. They're not old. Ripley turns five years old in a week, and Keira is six and a half... but they just look older somehow recently. Keira especially. Neither has any grey hairs, but their eyes and just something else that I can't pinpoint look older. :-(
I hate realizing that. With Trent (5 years old), it absolutely is the gray hairs -

but somehow I imagine seeing their age in their eyes/expression hitting harder emotionally. With Trent, I gravitate between telling him to stop aging and teasing him for his puppy/baby face.
Old 04-13-2014, 09:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post

I'm so tired of Jari being a boy. He's gross. He licks and chatters CONSTANTLY. I brought him over to my friend's house and she has two intact females (neither is in season or is going in to season obviously) and he just would NOT leave them alone. I thought he would maybe like run and play like a normal dog, but no. Her one dog would do very light corrections that Jari ignored, and her other just didn't care what he was doing. I really hope this phase ends one day :/

How old is Jari now? I'm trying to decide if Brooks is just really appropriate or if he's going to turn into a gross teenager any day now. He's not been around in heat females, mind you, but he's appropriate with intact females that aren't in season.And no chatters or licking, thank heavens. (I can't even handle foot licking sounds..ew)
Old 04-13-2014, 09:59 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grab View Post
How old is Jari now? I'm trying to decide if Brooks is just really appropriate or if he's going to turn into a gross teenager any day now. He's not been around in heat females, mind you, but he's appropriate with intact females that aren't in season.And no chatters or licking, thank heavens. (I can't even handle foot licking sounds..ew)
He's 14 months, and this started about 2 months ago. Brooks might just be really appropriate LOL.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 04-13-2014, 10:04 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
He's 14 months, and this started about 2 months ago. Brooks might just be really appropriate LOL.
Abrams teeth chatters at dog urine, whether it is a female or not. Drives me batty. He even does it with Cynder's urine. Yuck.

Old 04-13-2014, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

My dogs rock. This new job is really, really stressful for dogs and they are handling it like pros. Not only are they performing in front of 300+ crowds of people multiple times a day, but they are on display in their runs between shows and are LOVING coming out and getting pet by all the kids and people. I am so grateful to have dogs with such awesome, stable temperaments and dogs that truly enjoy getting so much attention.

I'm also loving the baby dogs' progress. Zip Tie is almost ready to do agility in the show (just a simple, fast circle) and Renegade is getting her freestyle routine pieced together. Mighty Mouse has a bit to go, I think she'll be a long term project to get her ready, but man, she has so much fun during training!

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie