Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-08-2014, 12:22 AM
Top Dog

This song came on the radio on the way back from Garden City and I broke down crying because I miss my dogs, and this is totally Gavroche's song, because he's my <3 dog despite not being "perfect."

Also I might be crazy. I'm considering putting Gavroche in UKC Rally 1 in October because I can and it's on leash and there's no pressure because he's already got his URO1 title. Even though he's technically retired. He had fun at the trial on Saturday even though he wasn't entered in rally, he enjoyed being there, which is SO much better than he was a couple years ago.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:08 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Summer is actually gripping her tug! Who says you can't teach an old dog new tricks?
Cynder played fetch the other day. With a nylabone. Michael and I were both like O_o. Made sure to keep it low pressure, super happy, and tons of fun and we actually got four retrieves out of her, completely with happy tail, play bows, and sassy backtalk.

It really makes me sad that she had such a repressed upbringing, because I think had she been brought up differently (instead of severely scolded/punished every time she even thought about "playing" as they were afraid she was going to "hurt their boys") she would be so much more confident with herself and able to "let go" more often, instead of sitting there looking worried about everything.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:51 AM
floor dancer

I really hate it when my parents spring stuff on me like home inspections. Especially when I'm going to have to be working, and **** like that takes two or more hours. Roxie's anxiety has been so freaking terrible, I've been thinking about putting her on meds... Now I'm just going to have to try and get someone to fill in for me, because having my parents take Rox back to the other house without me is NOT an option. I can't trust them to keep her safe.

Now I feel like the most horrible person ever. I should have just got her sedatives for situations like this. I am such an idiot. Why can't I have just made a vet appt earlier, and why can't my parents be reliable? I've been trying so hard to manage her anxiety without meds. It was working for a long time before all this crap.

And you know what? This is going to turn into another "you need to just put that dog to sleep" conversation. Just why. Roxie is fine, if you wouldn't spring this stuff on us. We had a new routine going that was working perfectly.
Old 04-08-2014, 12:37 PM
Top Dog

Crossbone got to stop at the bakery for a little snack & he carried it allllllll the way home.

He then promptly buried it in the yard.

I guess our morning walks for coffee will continue to be just that - so much for thinking Bonehead would enjoy a new routine that included a little treat!!

Crossbone - 2011 Cattle Pirate | Jack - 2004 Beaglador | Smallpox - 2014 Rat Terrier
Old 04-08-2014, 01:23 PM
floor dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by k9krazee View Post
Crossbone got to stop at the bakery for a little snack & he carried it allllllll the way home.

He then promptly buried it in the yard.

I guess our morning walks for coffee will continue to be just that - so much for thinking Bonehead would enjoy a new routine that included a little treat!!

That dogs got talent, carrying it for so long. Roxie wouldn't carry any form of treat, unless its to her bed. Even then, she usually drops it twice (and at least once on my foot when I first give it to her).
Old 04-08-2014, 10:30 PM
Top Dog

Just ordered a 50 foot biothane long line from Fraggle Rock

Now Finn will be able to go out and run, woot woot!
Old 04-08-2014, 10:50 PM
Show Dog

My instinctual reaction to resource guarding is so different from my intellectual one :-/ I ploughed right through "Mine!" and tried to absorb every bit of what Jean Donaldson was, quite thoroughly, telling me to do...but when push comes to shove and Astro snarls at me over something I gave him ten minutes ago and need to take away (to redirect him to eating it on his mat, for example, rather than on the nice new couch), for some reason it feels like an insult. I get this rush of "oh no you did NOT!" and I want to challenge him on it.

It's super weird. This dog will never know what an alpha roll is, I find dominance theory pretty eye-rolling, but there's a part of me that, when I'm truly honest with myself, understands why people resort to that type of thing. You get offended, you feel like the dog needs to understand that what he did was not. acceptable. And yet I know it's yanking stuff out of his mouth on walks (thanks for being litter-tastic, NYC!) partially that's made him this way, and yanking stuff out of his mouth more is only going to be counterproductive.

I need to suck it up, carry kibble in my pocket, and start raining food down on him when I approach him with a bully stick again. I need to practice "drop" daily. His RG goes down SO MUCH when I do those two things regularly, to the point where he wags his tail when he sees me coming toward him while he's got something, but I forget or I think "he's gotten so much better!"...and then we wind up at today, where I casually reach over to take his bully stick away, and he stands up and snarls. He's never snapped at any living being, ever, but he's clearly a grump about it and he does escalate pretty rapidly unless I step up to the plate and work on it with him often.

Every now and then, I do wish he was an easier dog. Holy heck this 10 month old is serious business sometimes. I love him and he's such a mush in so many ways, but there are moments where I think "Wow, if I didn't bother to put training on him, who knows how he'd turn out..." He's not one of those dogs that I feel would turn out all right no matter what, and that makes me feel overwhelmed sometimes. I always knew my Sheltie was going to be a soft little sweetheart, no matter what we did, but Astro is not that pup.

/rant and stressiness.
Old 04-08-2014, 11:17 PM
Big Dog

The local shelter is advertising a 1yo Malinois mix who is "learning to accept strangers but has a ways to go." With all the local idiots, whose extent of dog training knowledge is "be the alpha" and "do an alpha roll," I fear for this girl's future.

*Scout* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Feivel* - 2yo Lineolated Parrot
*Poe* - 8yo Bare-eyed Cockatoo
*Maiya Rose* - 1yo Shelter Kitty (AKA: The Amaiyalator)

~Always with me in my heart~ *Sabrina* Best little cat ever: 10/27/92 - 9/25/12

Last edited by Sparrow; 04-08-2014 at 11:28 PM.
Old 04-09-2014, 09:29 AM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Why can he not wait patiently? Why must he whine, and jump, and generally act like a stupid, annoying animal? SITTING OUTSIDE FOR A WHOLE MINUTE WILL NOT KILL YOU STUPID DOG. The muddy pawprints all over my door is getting very annoying, and if he scratches anything or tears up the screen he's in trouble. I don't even know how to work with him on it, because if I ignore him, he WILL scratch something up, but telling him to get off or sit reinforces the behavior because he's getting attention.

I guess I need to start from scratch and work on him being okay left alone in curtain areas. He's fine if I crate him, or put up a gate or a shut an inner door with him on the other side...but apparently outer doors aren't the same.

Old 04-09-2014, 10:40 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Mr. Payton was a super good boy this morning... I was running a little late so I put him in his crate early along with his crate cookies, then I finished getting dressed and putting my makeup on and stuff. He ate his cookies, then he sat down, then he lay down. And he just lay there watching me, smiling, quietly being a good boy.

About a year ago this would NOT have been possible. Me being in the room while he was in his crate would have been cause for an angry temper tantrum. Not today... nope. Super duper good boy.

Maybe he IS mellowing a bit as he gets older.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie OA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog