Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 04-02-2014, 11:30 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustaLilBitaLuck View Post
This!

I could have like...four Heidi-dogs. And I would manage beautifully.
I am always telling my better half that we really need several more of Menchi

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 04-03-2014, 12:49 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I was gonna do some sort of panel with a total T4, free T4, and TSH. Trying to get the biggest picture without spending the biggest amount of money All the panels with the antibody testing were a little more than I'd like lol. We use Idexx.
At the clinic I worked at, we sent them to Michigan. And the vet refused to do even a trial of meds unless a FT4 was abnormal AND a full panel was sent off and came back abnormal.

When Gavroche's FT4 came back low (after arguing A LOT to convince him to do the screening in the first place) he was SURE the full panel was going to come back fine. Lo and behold, every single value was off and his thyroid autoantibodies were through the roof. And the only symptoms were weight gain, slight hair loss on his tail (as it turns out, he had MAJOR hair loss all over, I just didn't realize it until it all grew back in), and slowing down (which I chalked up to aging, even though he was...3?). There were a LOT more symptoms that improved with medication that I never realized existed until they improved, and some that led me to believe he'd been hypo for quite some time.

Check her levels. It's such a simple fix if that's the problem, and you'll both feel MUCH better.
Old 04-03-2014, 06:41 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paige View Post
You guys know what sucks? Walking a leash reactive dog, a puppy and pushing a double stroller with two screaming kids.
You got a puppy??
Old 04-03-2014, 07:56 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by SizzleDog View Post
THIS.

Seriously... if you wait for the perfect time, you'll never get the dog.
Butbutbut I'm a perfectionist whose head gets filled with 'what ifs'.

I'm sure it'll be fine in the end.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:03 AM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
At the clinic I worked at, we sent them to Michigan. And the vet refused to do even a trial of meds unless a FT4 was abnormal AND a full panel was sent off and came back abnormal.

When Gavroche's FT4 came back low (after arguing A LOT to convince him to do the screening in the first place) he was SURE the full panel was going to come back fine. Lo and behold, every single value was off and his thyroid autoantibodies were through the roof. And the only symptoms were weight gain, slight hair loss on his tail (as it turns out, he had MAJOR hair loss all over, I just didn't realize it until it all grew back in), and slowing down (which I chalked up to aging, even though he was...3?). There were a LOT more symptoms that improved with medication that I never realized existed until they improved, and some that led me to believe he'd been hypo for quite some time.

Check her levels. It's such a simple fix if that's the problem, and you'll both feel MUCH better.
Thankfully my vet was totally suggestive of doing like a 1 month trial if anything comes back questionable. I just don't know if that's long enough to physically notice a change?

The more I think about it, the more I think she has a ton of symptoms,but then maybe some of it is normal aging (ie, not being as fit as she once was). Now I can't decide if I should just cover everything and splurge for the antibody testing too? Urgh.

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 04-03-2014, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
Thankfully my vet was totally suggestive of doing like a 1 month trial if anything comes back questionable. I just don't know if that's long enough to physically notice a change?

The more I think about it, the more I think she has a ton of symptoms,but then maybe some of it is normal aging (ie, not being as fit as she once was). Now I can't decide if I should just cover everything and splurge for the antibody testing too? Urgh.
Oh yes, you will totally see a huge change in a month! Gavroche was already looking and acting much better within a week.
Old 04-03-2014, 10:15 AM
The Monster.

Today I'm gonna get Cohen into a pool! She's not big on swimming, but I'm hoping that in a controlled environment with a life jacket she'll find some confidence and, MAYBE learn to like it. I wanna get this dog swole.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 04-03-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm All Ears

Sumemr has taken to digging up my yard. What a weird behavior to develope at 10 years old. They're not big holes but they're everywhere. I just noticed last night when I went to sit down and there were three holes dug all around me.
Old 04-03-2014, 11:14 AM
Top Dog

Jon's coming Saturday morning to get Frag and take him to Kansas with his new wife for a few months before his next deployment. I'm so bummed. We took the Germans to the park last night and played ball until they could barely run. Frag's getting spoiled rotten, I did all the shopping I needed to for his time there to get Jon started - Food/water bowls, chuck it, 6 kong squeaker tennis balls, 30# of food, nupro, fish oil, a few bags of treats, bully sticks, pig hooves, kong, a few random toys, smart bones, etc. It's like shopping for a new dog! Included a pair of nail trimmers I had, his muzzle, vet records (and found a local vet for him!) a few months worth of HW preventative, poop bags, all his collars and leads, a new lead for him, his tags... It's just making me sad. I know I'll be getting him back soon, but I'm bummed he's going to miss the premier this year - he had so much fun last year.

Jon texted me the other day about how excited he was to have Frag back for a while and told me he'd be sending me pictures of the yard... he bought a farm house w/ horse pastures, fully fenced, just for Frag. So he'll have 3 acres to chuck it and play in, and I know he's going to have a blast with Jon while he's there.

I guess it's a good thing I'm getting two beagles and a mal to dog sit for a while to keep my mind off it.

Roomie and I are roadtripping to Texas and back in about a month- going very out of our way, both ways, to see people and states/sights. Hoping to coordinate to meet up with Jon in Kansas to see him for a little while on our way back.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 04-03-2014, 11:16 AM
Higbread Dingbat

Attempts to express dog anal glands - 1
Dog anal glands needing to be expressed - 0 apparently

Rig's been spending a concerning amount of time chewing her back end (no scooting thankfully). Figured she might have an issue.
Nope, apparently her compulsive behaviour has just taken on a new form.

Plus side, she was REALLY good about the whole thing. Though I could have done without the tail wagging