Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-23-2014, 04:15 PM
Top Dog

For having dogs their entire lives, it's shocking how little my parents understand them. Roxie has extreme SA. And yet, my parents think this is something she will just "grow up" from. I've worked REALLY hard with Roxie to get her used to my normal schedule, and even to me leaving whenever.

This whole moving situation, however, has uprooted all of that. She's fine if I leave by myself like normal, but if my family comes and takes more stuff to the other house, she FLIPS OUT. Plus I have to work today, and they're gonna come and move more stuff when I leave.

Just ugh. Now I'm stressing out. Have Rox some chill pills though, hope they take the edge off for her...
Old 02-23-2014, 04:26 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
Jari probably needs to learn that Pen needs space, if Pen is being weird than he needs to walk away, and Pen needs to learn that Jari giving off calming signals means nothing is going to happen.
Yes. That makes perfect sense. I also am sure age is a factor, and obviously Bubby in heat was too. I think I'm going to have Jari leashed outside if they are out together (Jari is fine being on leash around other dogs) that way I can easily redirect him if he annoys Pen too much. We shall try that and continue with gate/rotate in the house and hopefully we can figure this thing out.

I am also going to keep walking them together sometimes as that is completely fine with them. My dogs never really play with each other while we are walking so it works out. They can sniff the same stuff, yell at the same squirrels and birds, and just be together with no pressure.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 02-23-2014, 04:36 PM
Top Dog

I don't know if all or even parts of this will be relevant, but a friend of mine wrote a blog series about controlling resource guarding.

This is a link to the first one.

There's a lot of key elements to remedying the situation and it sounds like you've taken some good first steps.
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 02-23-2014, 04:37 PM
such sights to show you

Pip is very controlling of the youngsters' fun as well. One of the exercises I did was when Maisy and Squash were playing (starting in the house, then as he progressed outside on a drag line) I'd do a LAT type exercise with Pip. At first I was just machine-gunning treats, then slowly moved through stuff like offering attention to me instead of watching them as I stood right by the gate, as I moved farther away from the gate (a Manners Minder helped with this), then to ignoring them or going to lay down or otherwise do his own thing. Lots of jackpots along the way. He still gets a little agitated in the house sometimes but he can settle himself down now and ignore them. The layout of our house is just too small and corner-y, a lot of tight spaces for everyone to get trapped, for me to be comfortable enough to rely on him being able to do it loose with the others, though.

My husband and I walked them a lot together, too. With us there was an element of Pip RGing me, so there were some specific exercises we did related to that which doesn't apply to you. Outside, sometimes he still gets a little too overstimulated but I can just interrupt and redirect him now. He will even play with them a little, then when he's done he'll get a stick or something and go lie down and do his own thing and there's plenty of space for it. I can tell that the youngsters don't completely "cut loose" when he's out with them, too, so they've learned to modulate their behavior somewhat... and I do give them some alone time without him so they can really play crazy sometimes.

Old 02-23-2014, 04:47 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

I also have to remember that when we first got Pen he couldn't be around ANYTHING (toys, bones, antlers, food, etc.) without guarding it from people or dogs. So he really has come a long way. And he WAS attacked by a dog before (an intact male) so I of course can't be and am not mad at him for any of this.

I think with the ball this morning it was just a weird situation (it was legit stuck in the ice so neither could get it out). I never have them out with food or other high value chews anyway. I used to when Jari was way younger (they would all lay around with RMBs together) but Kimma actually started getting weird about it so I ended that. Now they get those types of treats in their crates. Makes for easier clean up anyway LOL.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 21 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 7 years old (M)
Old 02-23-2014, 04:54 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

My parents dog is a fun police dog and I hate to say this because it makes me feel like a horrible person, I mean I am supposed to be this great dog lover and I really don't Like. This. Dog.... Period. She messes with the dogs when they are running around and playing, I tried giving her treats and thing to make it a positive thing but the dumb dog just started to think I was REWARDING her for "fun policing".

So I started giving her a time out when she would start up and I trudged my parents to do the same (for her sake because the other dogs get tired of it and tell her off and thus a fight ensues) I tried to get them to keep her speedster but they won't :/ so this is the best I can do, it seems to be working, they watch he closely and when she starts they don't say anything to her except "no, time out!" And put her on tie down for a time out to "cool off".
Old 02-23-2014, 05:08 PM
Top Dog

Took Blinker to the pet expo today. He seriously is such a good dog, handled the commotion like a pro. He's going to make someone super happy.

Taboo, Zuma, Mighty Mouse, Zinga, Edgar, Zip Tie
Old 02-23-2014, 05:19 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
Took Blinker to the pet expo today. He seriously is such a good dog, handled the commotion like a pro. He's going to make someone super happy.
You?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-23-2014, 05:20 PM
Mainstreme Elitist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Congrats on Snitch's first show!

Thank you. hopefully we'll be at another match next Sunday.

My little dog - a heartbeat at my feet
Old 02-23-2014, 06:35 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

I may have found the perfect Borzoi breeder.

So why is this in the vent thread?

BECAUSE I CAN'T HAVE ONE FOR MANY YEARS!

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.