Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-22-2014, 05:42 AM
Higbread Dingbat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
Gavroche full-on peed in the house today. One minute he was playing with the puppy, the next minute he's peeing all over the floor and acting like he had NO idea why it was coming out Definitely going to have to get a UA done on him when he goes to the vet. He's also grinding his teeth again >.<
Rigby did the SAME thing yesterday!
Granted she does have some SU issues, this was odd. No triggers, she was out about 2 hours ago. And yet she emptied her bladder while walking in the floor.

Our vet is open 9-12, already collected her first urine. Gotta drive half an hour out and half an hour back for class before 10am
Old 02-22-2014, 07:43 AM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
You might try letting tempers cool for a few days and then try it again. Jari had enough and fought back, it's not terrible and doesn't mean he hates him... it's a fairly normal response actually. But I would let them kind of mellow out for a few days before working on it more.

Payton and Auggie had a thing for a bit. Payton was the one starting it though, and Auggie was just trying to run away. But it had to do with Payton's maturity (or immaturity, however you want to look at it.) Suddenly he was a big manly jerkface who wanted to try and throw his weight around. It's possible you've got something similar, because Jari is starting to mature into a dog, and is suddenly a "threat" that must be dealt with? I think his age might have something to do with it honestly.

Basically I put Payton back under a puppy protocol... if I can't watch you and make sure you don't try to start something, you are in your crate. When he would get in Auggie's space and Auggie would throw calming signals, I would call Payton away... basically reinforcing "he gave you a calming signal so go away" to P, and reinforcing to Auggie "a calming signal will make him go away." Payton got to where I would see Auggie give a calming signal and Payton's response was to flip around and come running over to me. Maybe not the 100% appropriate response in Dog Language, he wasn't technically obeying the calming signal... he was taking the calming signal as a cue to come to me. But it accomplished what AUGGIE needed (got P out of his space) so it worked for us.

I also did a lot of working again on Payton's self-control, which is a constant battle and he was starting to get away with things that he shouldn't have been allowed to get away with. I also did things like doing some calm sits and downs while they were near each other, slowly moving them closer. Lots of rewarding for calm behavior.

It was very upsetting when it was going on and for several weeks it was very stressful around here. But eventually, I stopped counting the days we went without a fight, because it was no longer an issue. Things that were triggers for that time period... I still try to avoid having the other dogs around for... but if Auggie wanders past while I'm toweling Payton off, P no longer launches himself at him starting a fight. I don't worry about them anymore. Every now and then somebody gets a little snarky, but it's so rare and usually it's over something clear (like somebody stepped on Uncle Auggie.)

It's tough for sure. Maybe after Bubbles comes back after she's spayed you can give it another shot and see if things have started to smooth out.
Nope, you're totally right. I know it does have something to do with Jari's age on Jari's end anyway as he decided that he was not going to take it anymore/he's still a puppy and wants to try to play with everyone forever. Though in his defense he WAS throwing out calming signals to Pen left and right on the first night of this. Pen would respect them, I gave Pen a treat because he would recall to me, Pen would play bow, Jari would respond in a playful manner to said play bow, and it would start all over again. When I tried them together again the next morning, Jari just went up to greet Pen like he would on any given morning (which is a bit exuberant), and it exploded again.

It wasn't until yesterday after two days of this weirdness that Jari really seemed to have had enough. So yeah the yard officially isn't safe now either. Though they had their thing last night when they were out in the yard, I called them off each other (this one took a few times and involved my physically touching Jari's legs to pull him away) then they were fine and went about their business??? Dogs are confusing.

They are fine with treats still which is great considering Pen used to be a huge food RGer. After I got them off each other last night, they both sat in front of me while I gave them treats. Then they calmed down and went their separate ways. Though I bought Pen back in the house relatively quickly after that though. And this morning they ate some cream cheese off a knife together (Pen had his head through a space between the gate and the wall) like they usually would.

I was told that the 18-24 months was the period to watch out for with male/male issues in this breed, but I suppose that Bubby coming in sped up that process a bit.

I am not taking any more chances and am giving them time now - I'm not even going to do any leashed walks even though they were totally OK with that last night. There was no blood shed through any of this luckily, and I know that if either wanted to do damage they would have. Your story gives me hope, Beanie

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 02-22-2014, 10:27 AM
such sights to show you

I know rotating seems daunting, but if you can gate/rotate and they're ok on either side of the gates it's really ok depending on the layout of your house. It's a little easier for me because the boys are totally ok outside together, but that took time, too. It will be ok.

Old 02-22-2014, 01:23 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
I know rotating seems daunting, but if you can gate/rotate and they're ok on either side of the gates it's really ok depending on the layout of your house. It's a little easier for me because the boys are totally ok outside together, but that took time, too. It will be ok.
I was actually thinking of your situation when I was figuring out how I can gate/rotate

I know your guys took time, too, to be OK outside. I believe that last night happened because usually Jari goes out and he and Bubby run around and play, so he went to try the same thing with Pen and obviously it did not work out.

I know this whole thing can be done with relative ease but it was just quite a blow to suddenly realize that our "way of being" might never be the same. And I'm not gonna lie - it was really nice to have all four of them with me on the couch some nights while watching TV/relaxing especially now that Jari is developing an off switch.

They are also OK being in the room with the other in a crate so that's also super helpful. There hadn't yet been an issue with their crates right next to each other, but I moved Jari's away from Pen's anyway. So Pen will be next to Kimma, then Bubby then Jari. Gives a bit more separation even if they might not "need" it. And it makes me feel like I'm doing something helpful LOL.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 18 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 02-22-2014, 03:13 PM
Big Dog

Leo seems to have an upset stomach. He didn't eat much of his breakfast in the morning, which is unheard of for him. He wolfs it down normally.
I left it out, and he has now finished all of it a few hours later.

His behavior is completely normal and so are his poops, so I am just going to watch it for now. But it is always concerning from them to act differently, especially because this is the first time he has been under the weather since getting him.
Old 02-22-2014, 11:42 PM
Club Terrible - President

I think I'm going to start prepping Bloo for a CGC. We've both been cooped up in the house way too much lately.

Won't be trying to go for it until we're home, of course, but it'll be a fun goal.
Old 02-23-2014, 12:07 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
I was actually thinking of your situation when I was figuring out how I can gate/rotate

I know your guys took time, too, to be OK outside. I believe that last night happened because usually Jari goes out and he and Bubby run around and play, so he went to try the same thing with Pen and obviously it did not work out.

I know this whole thing can be done with relative ease but it was just quite a blow to suddenly realize that our "way of being" might never be the same. And I'm not gonna lie - it was really nice to have all four of them with me on the couch some nights while watching TV/relaxing especially now that Jari is developing an off switch.

They are also OK being in the room with the other in a crate so that's also super helpful. There hadn't yet been an issue with their crates right next to each other, but I moved Jari's away from Pen's anyway. So Pen will be next to Kimma, then Bubby then Jari. Gives a bit more separation even if they might not "need" it. And it makes me feel like I'm doing something helpful LOL.
Vibes for them. Hopefully after some time apart and the spay you can reintegrate.

I crated and rotated for 8 months with my foster and it was hell. Two doors between him and other animals at all times because he would certainly try to kill Frag and sometimes wanted to kill Bailey... Plus having 4 roommates. Ugh. I wouldn't wish it upon anyone!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-23-2014, 12:22 AM
Club Terrible - President

FM, Bloo and Em took 8 or 9 months for Bloo to start listening to Em's stress signals. Even now, she needs some management, but it does get better. Hang in there.
Old 02-23-2014, 01:45 AM
Top Dog

Puppywant. With any luck… this time next year maybe.

Also received my email confirmations on both the April 12/13 trial and the Whippet National Agility today. I guess it's official.. and I should probably practice more.

Old 02-23-2014, 01:53 AM
Bored Now.

This poor dog.

I had a lot to drink and thought it would be a good idea to pounce I him and hug him while he was drinking water.

WHY WOULD U THIBK THATS A GOOD IDEA.

Poor dog choked on his water for a bit, and all I can do is giggle.