Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-19-2014, 06:34 PM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Usually dogs will be a little out of it anywhere from a few to 24 hours later. Also being a bit lethargic afterwards is common to.

When Tsuki had hers she would sleep a lot, act confused if you tried to coddle her during/after one, and wouldn't really be more back to normal until the next day. Hers came out of nowhere, happening every other day usually in the evening. We put her on phenobarb and it seemed to help for a bit, she bounced back quicker and was more herself. Then suddenly she was having them everyday, we were upped it and were going to put her on another medication, and then she started clustering and didnt come out of it.

I would get a second opinion if the first vet thinks a wait and see approach is best, especially if he's already had two in a matter of days.
Old 02-19-2014, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

My male Shiba was epileptic and I was worried about crating him as well because he had some very violent seizures so I got him a MUCH bigger airline crate then he required (xl furrari rather then the medium) and I never had him injure himself. I also got a piece of plexi glass and tie wrapped it to the bottom half of the door so he didn't have anywhere to push his leg through while having a seizure. I'm not sure if that's an option for you or not though. But this is the Crate I have for Gage (170lbs)
http://ca-en.hagen.com/Dog/Home-and-Transport/Carriers/76745 and I can crawl in, turn around and get out.
Is he calm in a crate? Would he be reliable in a soft crate?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:58 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Well looks like I'm heading in to a forever crate/rotate situation. Pen will not let up on Jari no matter how many calming signals Jari throws at him. They almost got in to a legit fight over I don't know what as I had my back to them in the kitchen and then Pen went and playbowed at Jari, then started something when Jari went to play back. I watched them for a while longer but I can't stand it. Pen will NOT leave Jari alone. Even when Jari lays down and offers look aways. For no apparent reason (I'm sure there's a reason though). Nothing is different, there's no food out or anything like that. I'm so upset right now. They were fine this morning and fine when I got home from work. Normal outside, played chase and all of that. Fine after I let them out after I taught a cello lesson.

Pen is now in his crate and Jari is rubbing up against the crate and Pen is fine with it. Now Jari is laying down in front of his crate. I just don't understand what is going on.

It's like Pen is throwing out play signals, Jari is taking them, Pen is freaking out. They did a few of the "Scar/Simba from Lion King" type of deals with much more noise than I've ever heard and neither would let go until I redirected them with a runaway recall into another room.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:05 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finkie_Mom View Post
Well looks like I'm heading in to a forever crate/rotate situation. Pen will not let up on Jari no matter how many calming signals Jari throws at him. They almost got in to a legit fight over I don't know what as I had my back to them in the kitchen and then Pen went and playbowed at Jari, then started something when Jari went to play back. I watched them for a while longer but I can't stand it. Pen will NOT leave Jari alone. Even when Jari lays down and offers look aways. For no apparent reason (I'm sure there's a reason though). Nothing is different, there's no food out or anything like that. I'm so upset right now. They were fine this morning and fine when I got home from work. Normal outside, played chase and all of that. Fine after I let them out after I taught a cello lesson.

Pen is now in his crate and Jari is rubbing up against the crate and Pen is fine with it. Now Jari is laying down in front of his crate. I just don't understand what is going on.

It's like Pen is throwing out play signals, Jari is taking them, Pen is freaking out. They did a few of the "Scar/Simba from Lion King" type of deals with much more noise than I've ever heard and neither would let go until I redirected them with a runaway recall into another room.
Has Pen every lived with an intact male before?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Has Pen every lived with an intact male before?
Nope. He's never lived with other dogs besides mine. But he has been fine on the conformation show circuit with other intact males, including staying overnight in hotel rooms not crated with them, so who knows. But I think that was also before he was attacked by that dog outside the show ring.

Maybe Bubby is coming in to season. She would be really early, but it's the only thing I can think of that would change their dynamic so dramatically in such a short period of time.

Loistava's Jari CGC - 17 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 4 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti CGC TDI - 6 years old (M)
Old 02-19-2014, 08:34 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
He has been a bit off today. He derped out a little at the vet but most of the day he has been conked out and when he is awake he's been pretty sullen.
Some dogs get what they call an 'aura' after some of their seizures, they are funky for a little bit (can last up to a week, I believe). Boomer started seizing his last 6 months of life, but I don't think you can really relate a senior dog suddenly developing a seizure disorder with a young, healthyish dog that develops one. Idiopathic epilepsy is frequently easily controlled with meds in young dogs. I hope the seizure was a one time thing and there are no more!

Old 02-19-2014, 09:05 PM
Twin 2

Traveler's starting in Flyball, Didgie's in Agility and hopefully soon I'll be able to go outside and play some disc! Life is fun.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:16 PM
Resident fainting goat

Merlin has alerted (correctly alerted) to every seizure I've had in his presence for the last 5 months.
That's over 100 seizures! 100!
Which officially makes him a... *drum roll please*
"Reliable seizure alert dog"

this is also the longest I've gone without a seizure related injury! Woo!

I know I can be hard on him and there are moments where I'm not the best trainer and we fall behind and he can be naughty and I feel all is lost..
but I'm just trying to take a moment to appreciate what a gift he is and how lucky I am to have him he really is a good boy.
Him alerting, and learning to so young and just being a natural, is a miracle within itself so props to Merlin

I'm still a fainting goat, but now at least I've got a pretty great sidekick that keeps me out of harms way.
Old 02-19-2014, 09:23 PM
& the Muttly Crew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Merlin has alerted (correctly alerted) to every seizure I've had in his presence for the last 5 months.

I know I can be hard on him and there are moments where I'm not the best trainer and we fall behind and he can be naughty and I feel all is lost..
but I'm just trying to take a moment to appreciate what a gift he is and how lucky I am to have him he really is a good boy.
Him alerting, and learning to so young and just being a natural, is a miracle within itself so props to Merlin

I'm still a fainting goat, but now at least I've got a pretty great sidekick that keeps me out of harms way.
So much awesome.

ARCHX U-CD Kim MX MXJ NF CL3-SF RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Golden Ditzhund, b. ~Mar'07
MACH ARCHX U-CD Webster MXB MJB RL3/2X/1X-COE CGC -- Flying Houdini, b. ~Jun'07
Mira CD JH MX MXB MXJ MJB CGC WCX -- Princess Cheeseface, b. Jul'09
Lodin -- Crazy Monkeybean, b. Dec'13
Old 02-19-2014, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post

This is fantastic. Thread worthy, even. I"m really happy you not only got a great companion but that Merlin is able to help you out with your condition.

Gwen peed on a pole tonight. Like she lifted her back leg and peed on this pole. I'm not sure what to think about this. Maybe she needs a male dog in her life?

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp