Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-12-2014, 02:09 PM
Club Terrible - President

Fran, what drills and stuff are you doing? Please don't stress too much about "SD perfect"... I'm sure you guys are doing just fine. I'd be happy to meet up with you once we're back and give you some feedback if you'd like.
Old 02-12-2014, 02:46 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Might be time for Merlin & I to find a new trainer :/
her training style made perfect sense on paper but Merlin is not enjoying his training, and I know she says a lot of "It's not all going to be fun for him" but I want him to ENJOY his work.
The drills, the repetition....it's stressing me out (and boring him) and I feel like he is slowly but surely starting to lose the LOVE of training and I don't want that.

Making him "SD perfect" is a much harder challenge than I ever though it would be. He is still doing very well, it's just so much work and time, the reality of the hard work and energy this takes and all the socialization trips/practice is proving to be much harder than what I anticipated.

Bright side. He is still doing well, and even though we have set backs he still LOVES to learn and please and go places.

It's just my fault really. School and life gets in the way and sometimes I am too lenient with bad habits that wouldn't matter with a regular dog and then we need to go back and correct them.

I want his training to be fun again, for both of us.
Just feeling a bit inadequate.

Not sure what the point of this is.
I think I've mentioned this to you before, but I know someone who lives in Boston who is a dog trainer, and has trained her own SD. Even if she isn't able to help, she might have connections in the area?

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 02-12-2014, 03:07 PM
Silence, peasants.

My new tennis coach's brother breeds French bulldogs. Okay good so I will take five.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 02-12-2014, 03:37 PM
Mild and Slightly Nutty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
My new tennis coach's brother breeds French bulldogs. Okay good so I will take five.
Send me a one or two, would you?

A gold brick wrapped with a twist of lemon...

Visit the Curly-tailed Brigade
http://curly-tailed.blogspot.com/
Old 02-12-2014, 03:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
Send me a one or two, would you?
I'll take the remaining.

Imagine this.......Hudson and a pack of French Bulldogs.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Top Dog

Meg tracked a muskrat under the snow today, caught it, and killed it. Gusto helped her carry it back to the car (She had the head, he had the tail, and they trotted along with it between them). I wasn't there, and have no idea how exactly my father managed to get them back in the car without it, but I guess that answers my "I wonder if Meg would actually kill something if she caught it" question.

Old 02-12-2014, 05:18 PM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I think I've mentioned this to you before, but I know someone who lives in Boston who is a dog trainer, and has trained her own SD. Even if she isn't able to help, she might have connections in the area?
Oh I must've missed it, I'd love any info and would love to work with someone new!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julee View Post
Fran, what drills and stuff are you doing? Please don't stress too much about "SD perfect"... I'm sure you guys are doing just fine. I'd be happy to meet up with you once we're back and give you some feedback if you'd like.
Just lots of repetitive stuff. Long heels, long downs, long sits, puppy pushups (sit,stand,down).... he just gets bored and frustrated and we are having such trouble with impulse control (although honestly it's gotten better recently since his neuter) and that would be awesome!
Old 02-12-2014, 05:58 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Oh I must've missed it, I'd love any info and would love to work with someone new!

Just lots of repetitive stuff. Long heels, long downs, long sits, puppy pushups (sit,stand,down).... he just gets bored and frustrated and we are having such trouble with impulse control (although honestly it's gotten better recently since his neuter) and that would be awesome!
If it's repetitive and boring for him, it's not doing any good. Some dogs NEED the repetition, others don't. If he's not engaged, of course he's going to lack impulse control. I agree that maybe it's time to find a new trainer.
Old 02-12-2014, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

I made LOTS of progresson Logan's "pick up **** I drop when I don't notice I drop it" task. He did great today in Walmart and Dillons with my keys, his leash, and an empty poop bag.
Old 02-13-2014, 01:36 PM
I'm All Ears

Every morning when my alarm goes off, Mia makes her way to the top of the bed, lies down snuggled up to me, and then rubs her face all in the covers and groans. Yes dog, that is EXACTLY how I feel about early mornings too.

Then of course I stand up and she catapults herself off the bed and goes racing around the house and yard excited by the prospect of being awake. All while I drag myself to the back door to let them out.