Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-02-2014, 07:49 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kootenay View Post
Ok, I take it all back, Onyx is sleeping on the couch watching TV with me, hugging my leg and resting her head on me. Cutest sweetest girl ever.

I swear, they pull stuff and then do this to keep you from killing them haha.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 02-02-2014, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I got Logan specifically to train as a service dog. If he hadn't worked out...I'd still have kept him. I know not everyone has that luxury, but it's far from "silly" to keep a dog you love just because they didn't work out for their intended purpose.
This. I could see it being different for someone who got a working dog out of necessity. But if I loved the dog, I'd keep them regardless.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 02-02-2014, 07:55 PM
Silence, peasants.

I understand rehoming a working dog that doesn't work. I don't understand rehoming a dog because it isn't good at agility. The whole point of agility is to have fun with your dog, it's a game.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 02-02-2014, 08:05 PM
Vizsla mom

Penny sucks at everything and I still manage to find a way to love her defective little arse I couldn't imagine giving her back to the breeder after having her for 3 minutes. Only if there was a huge issue (aggression ..one thing I won't do again after having Squirt).
Old 02-02-2014, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

It would have to be a SERIOUS behavior issue for me to want to return a dog to a breeder (or wherever I got them). I plan to get my next dog from a breeder, and would LIKE to get into some kind of dog sports. I like the idea of getting into a hobby that I can share with my dog. But if it doesn't work out that way, it doesn't work out that way. Wouldn't make me love my dog any less. Dogs love us for who we are. Don't see why people can't return that sentiment.

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 02-02-2014, 09:02 PM
Top Dog

And again, my mom is firmly convinced that if I don't get Hudson neutered OMG right NOW! he'll die of prostate cancer. And anything said otherwise is wrong and can't be trusted

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 02-02-2014, 09:17 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

If I rescued a puppy and they just happened to be good at a sport or whatever then that's an added bonus, if not then I certainly wouldn't give them back or anything.

I never have exchanged a dog, but my examples were more like, I can understand why some people would in some situations as for me, even if I paid big bucks from a breeder I wouldn't give a dog back. Because I always become attached to the little buggers ... Lol

Old 02-02-2014, 09:44 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shakou View Post
It would have to be a SERIOUS behavior issue for me to want to return a dog to a breeder (or wherever I got them). I plan to get my next dog from a breeder, and would LIKE to get into some kind of dog sports. I like the idea of getting into a hobby that I can share with my dog. But if it doesn't work out that way, it doesn't work out that way. Wouldn't make me love my dog any less. Dogs love us for who we are. Don't see why people can't return that sentiment.
All of this for me, as well. Personally; all three of my dogs are dogs that, for the most part, have nothing in them that I'd really like in a dog. But, I'd never get rid of them and they're still my dogs! I just make do with what they do give me. Which is great companionship and cuddles - since they're all such lazy bums!
Old 02-02-2014, 09:46 PM
Show Dog

Ok, I need advice from people with (or who have had) snotty defiant teenage dogs (from this thread, seems like there is a few )

When your dog expressly decides to ignore a command that he definitely knows well, what do you do?
I feel really bad because I have forced Leo into a down (by gently picking up his front paws and pushing down, not forcefully or violently) twice in the last few days because he refused to down and I didn't know what to do in response. I don't like acting like that. But I feel like if I just let it slide, he will learn that he can just refuse to down whenever he wants. I want him to know that down means down.

What do you do? Leo is my first bratty teenage dog (heck, my first dog) and I want to do what is right by him. He is awesome at his obedience when he feels like it, but lately he has taken to deciding when he wants to listen to me.
Old 02-02-2014, 09:48 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saeleofu View Post
I got Logan specifically to train as a service dog. If he hadn't worked out...I'd still have kept him. I know not everyone has that luxury, but it's far from "silly" to keep a dog you love just because they didn't work out for their intended purpose.
I just wanna love this because I know more people than I care to know who have rehomed a dog that didn't turn out to be compatible as a service dog.
Millie has had to retire due to age (at least the public stuff), and I hoped Fable would be able to take over. Oh hell no, she is not even close to service dog material. And I don't think any less of her for it. She's here to stay.