Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-25-2014, 04:55 PM
Top Dog

I took Rhys and Maggie (mom and dad's terrier mix) to their first barn hunt today! All and all it was really fun and went well.

Rhys's instinct test was first and I goofed it for him. He was so excited about the rats that I called too early. I ran Maggie in instinct next and learned my lesson. Called her correctly so she got her RATI.

Ran them both in Novice with no training and I am so proud. Rhys had a great systematic search, found his rats and I called correctly. He climbed bales but we ran out of time for the tunnel (I did spend some extra time praising him for the rats since it was his first time). The judge was awesome and helped me tunnel him after so he could start learning what to do.

Maggie was a little more wild but that's to be expected. She's mom and dad's pet and not terribly well-trained. But she found rats too! Gave really clear indications about the empty tube and the tube with litter in it.

Overall I'm very very pleased with the level of aptitude they both went in there with considering I've done NO prep at all for Barn Hunt

Old 01-25-2014, 06:12 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torch View Post
I took Rhys and Maggie (mom and dad's terrier mix) to their first barn hunt today! All and all it was really fun and went well.

Rhys's instinct test was first and I goofed it for him. He was so excited about the rats that I called too early. I ran Maggie in instinct next and learned my lesson. Called her correctly so she got her RATI.

Ran them both in Novice with no training and I am so proud. Rhys had a great systematic search, found his rats and I called correctly. He climbed bales but we ran out of time for the tunnel (I did spend some extra time praising him for the rats since it was his first time). The judge was awesome and helped me tunnel him after so he could start learning what to do.

Maggie was a little more wild but that's to be expected. She's mom and dad's pet and not terribly well-trained. But she found rats too! Gave really clear indications about the empty tube and the tube with litter in it.

Overall I'm very very pleased with the level of aptitude they both went in there with considering I've done NO prep at all for Barn Hunt
What kind of dogs do you have?

Old 01-25-2014, 06:45 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Abrams snapped his chain and I forgot to purchase a replacement today, and since I can't get him out the door on a leash without him peeing and it is way to freaking cold to stand outside with him every time he has to pee, I've been rewarding him with a treat when he comes back to the door after going to the bathroom. Which works to get him to come straight to the door when he's done...but is backfiring, because now he gets so excited to get to the door he isn't completely emptying his bladder and he has to pee 5x more frequently than he should have to. Stupid dog.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 01-25-2014, 07:14 PM
such sights to show you

Squash had a chiro appointment today, and after he was done and we were chit chatting and scheduling his next appointment Squash half-perched (front feet only) on a chair and stared expectantly at us for a real long time.

STAND ON ALL THE THINGS, IN ALL THE PLACES.

Old 01-25-2014, 08:52 PM
Rude and Not Ginger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassafras View Post
Squash had a chiro appointment today, and after he was done and we were chit chatting and scheduling his next appointment Squash half-perched (front feet only) on a chair and stared expectantly at us for a real long time.

STAND ON ALL THE THINGS, IN ALL THE PLACES.
Bwahahahahaha. I'm just picturing your polar bear staring you down for food.
Old 01-25-2014, 10:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
What kind of dogs do you have?
My mom and dad's dog, Maggie, we think is half mini schnauzer and half Boston terrier. She's 4 now and pretty much a pet with average-ish obedience.

My puppy, Rhys, is an 9 month old American Staffordshire terrier. He's my performance/conformation prospect. Both are typical terriers and have strong prey drive, which came in handy!

Old 01-25-2014, 10:08 PM
Silence, peasants.

Feist has a new bed time routine, including but not limited to nest building and attempts at blanket humping, and she must hold something in her mouth (toy, leash, a human limb) while she does or attempts to do prior mentioned activities. Why dog why.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 01-26-2014, 02:53 AM
Duuuuude.

I wish I wasn't interested in such freaking political/split breeds. I don't want to get involved in that stuff!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 01-26-2014, 03:28 AM
Top Dog

I got a comment today that Roxie has a "Golden Retriever puppy's head".

Okie dokie, then. Lol, I'm kind of confused as to why everyone thinks she's still a puppy.

I don't know.
Old 01-26-2014, 10:29 AM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri and Frodo were playing chase around the living room, unsuspecting boyfriend walked out from the bedroom and Siri nailed him in the back of the knee. Boyfriend ends up splayed out on the ground, terrier puppy completely unscathed.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.