Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-24-2014, 01:15 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaraB View Post
And yes, while these dogs weren't in a fight, there was still tension that could have easily been redirected onto a student grabbing for them.
And that's why there was no way I was reaching for his collar. I know my own dog and I was comfortable picking him up and pulling him out, but I wasn't going to touch the other dog, especially since he was the instigator and seems like a generally intense dog.

I think half the reason everyone was so slow to jump in is that it seemed like social sniffing at first, no biggie. It took a little bit to be obvious that something else was going on. That dog also shows no body language. You can't see his face, and he has almost no ears or tail - he's like a black box.

I did try to help grab a standard poodle once, but that's because he was actively playing with Watson and playing catch-me-if-you-can with his owners. No tension, just playful pups. When I grabbed Watson out of that same play scenario (this was the first class with off leash time, it was a little chaotic) I just grabbed his back legs and hauled him out. I'm not afraid to grab him however I have to and that was just a play situation.

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-24-2014, 01:58 PM
I'm All Ears

With Summer's dstractedness a lot has been my new trainer really forcing me to notice issues. I'd get lazy at class and just let her out, march over to the start line, then call her. Or after a run Summer would go do a lap or 3 or jump on the x large crate (she loves climbing it for some reason). Or she'd go try to make friends. I just didn't pay it much mind because well... when I'd call her, she'd come, stay, and go do her agility thing.

But now I am very very aware of her when we are going to and from the crate. She is not getting to go wild and free between runs even though she was not causing any problems, it was making her think it was okay when we weren't working to be a lunatic. It was also giving her practice switching sides on me, which was coming out in our runs. So now when I get her out, the focus is 100% on her and keeping her engaged all the time and keeping her on one side of me.
Old 01-24-2014, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
With Summer's dstractedness a lot has been my new trainer really forcing me to notice issues. I'd get lazy at class and just let her out, march over to the start line, then call her. Or after a run Summer would go do a lap or 3 or jump on the x large crate (she loves climbing it for some reason). Or she'd go try to make friends. I just didn't pay it much mind because well... when I'd call her, she'd come, stay, and go do her agility thing.
There are dogs in my class like this, who will go and take a tunnel before or after a run, and kind of do their own thing. They always come back right away and work when they have to, but it seems like a really bad habit to get into. I'm always completely on top of Watson because he likes to cause chaos (yesterday he ran away from me and peed in like 4 places before coming back). I don't let him do anything except work and focus on me. It would be nice to have a dog I don't have to be on top of though!

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-25-2014, 12:54 AM
Roos, Poos, & a Wog!

Worried about Nimbus (foster Schnauzer), may bring her to work with me tomorrow so she's not left all day by herself.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:31 PM
It's A Red Dog Revolution

Jari's reactivity is really bumming me out. I feel like we aren't making any progress. Blah.

Thanks meepitsmeagan for the siggy!

Loistava Kennels and Red Fox Dog Training
Boundless Pawsibilities

Loistava's Jari CGC - 22 months old (M)
Loistava's Kimma RN AX AXJ RATN CGC - 4 years old (F)
AOM CH Finkkila's Kupla ("Bubbles") - 5 years old (F)
CH Finkkila's Pentti ThD CGC TDIA - 7 years old (M)
Old 01-25-2014, 01:37 PM
I'm All Ears

My good friend's golden just suddenly passed away this morning. He wasn't too old at all or anything but they think he had a stroke. He just collapsed and died suddenly. That kind of stuff just scares the crap out of me. Just gone in a minute.

I want to hug my dogs now.

Rest Easy, Cash.
Old 01-25-2014, 01:42 PM
Top Dog

Frag isn't bloating. Thank The Lord. I don't need anymore bills right now.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-25-2014, 03:25 PM
Top Dog

Every few years, Aesop goes through a really horrible coat blowing season where he ends up partially nekkid. This is one of those seasons. To make his life better, he's having an allergy issue to something. I hesitate to switch foods, as we have fed the current food fairly consistently for a few years. I tried a different food (as I do from time to time) a few months ago and both Aesop and Goose got a bit itchy. So I think that set it off to start with. It has also been warm, so things are blooming and blowing about. He's not constantly scratching, but he does have a hotspot or two (they're healing) and an allergy ear infection (he's never scratched his ear nor done any head shaking, so I had no idea until I was brushing ear floof )

So I currently have a very moth-eaten looking Chow with a bum ear.
Old 01-25-2014, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Frag isn't bloating. Thank The Lord. I don't need anymore bills right now.
Great news!

Old 01-25-2014, 05:55 PM
Top Dog

Yay for Frag!

I need someone to explain to Gimmick that shoving his entire head in another dogs mouth is a really good way to lose it. Also, he does not need to let every dog in the yard mount him

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.