Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-18-2014, 07:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fran101 View Post
Honestly, if that's what it is and he is still FINE. I'm ok, he doesn't have to be a social butterfly. I just don't want this to snowball or for him to be unhappy...
He does do A LOT better when outside/offleash, the store is quite small and I think that's a part of the problem.
The office where I work is pretty big, but still, when you get dogs running around in there, there really isn't a lot of space. Recon is 10x better outside with the same dogs he'd rather snark at inside. I thought for a while it was guardy behavior, but honestly, I've seen him guard and it's completely different. Herding breeds are very particular about their physical space and pressure and I think that has a lot to do with it, too. Which is why you see such a difference outside. For what it's worth, Recon's has not gotten any worse/escalated in the 3-4 months he's been doing it. Might be worth it to teach Merlin a "go to your spot" command that could maybe be behind a desk you could gate off or a crate in a corner, that you could ask him to go to when the door opens for someone new to come in, and you could walk over and close the gate/door for whatever to seclude him for the visit unless you read calming signals from him and want to let him out. The trust in you handling the situation and him always having his own space could possibly make it better in the future as well! Hopefully having his own space in the store is an option- I know how much he loves being there! It'd be a shame if he had to stop. ;(

My dogs have both learned this at work at one point or another (thought neither does it any longer because I stopped reinforcing it!) and would automatically run into the crate (happily!) when they heard the door open.

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 01-18-2014, 08:15 PM
Obey the Toad.

Jack was a total a$$ as an adolensent. He humped All The Dogs, was extremely stubborn, and ignored All The Commands. Merlin will grow out if it.

~Christina--Mom to:
Sally--8 yr old pit bull mix
Jack--6 yr old Labrador
Sadie & Runt--12 yr old calico DSHs
Pickles & Kiwi--3 yr old white winged parakeets
Yoda--1 yr old Quaker parrot
Solo--12 yr old Senegal parrot
Sheena--Quarter Horse--3/24/86-6/23/11--Rest Easy Sweet Girl~

Labs do it in the lake.

Old 01-18-2014, 08:27 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Thanks to my new trainer, I no longer fail at teaching my dog to pivot on an object lol Talon can pivot perfectly yay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whisper View Post
Fable has really gained weight! Her coat quality has improved also. I've been paranoid since we suffered that relapse a while ago, but she is just doing so much better and my heart is so happy!

Now I can take her further into public without worrying someone's going to call AC. :/
Yay! I told you you were due for some good news with Fable! That's really awesome, I'm happy for you guys.
Old 01-19-2014, 12:51 AM
Show Dog

Pig had her first nosework class today. She seems to think it is the best game ever. It's in a building we have never been to before with people we have never met and she was still responsive to me and didn't stress. When it was her turn, she rushed to get into the ring, but sat and waited to be sent out.

...but she also ate nearly an entire 3lb bag of raw medallions that were meant for the cats. I haven't been crating her lately when I go out and she was being so good, but my brother left the bag out after feeding the cats tonight and that's just way too tempting. It was actually kind of terrifying. I walked in the front door and she wasn't waiting in the window and didn't come greet me so I knew something was up. Went into the kitchen and found her stuck, shoulders deep, in the plastic bag. It wasn't tight enough that she could have suffocated, but still, seeing your dog stuck in a plastic bag is unsettling.

Badger's show collar and lead came in the mail today. I can't wait to bring him to the handling class next week. I'm also secretly/not so secretly hoping we like conformation enough to justify ordering a fancy custom lead. I'm thinking something hufflepuff themed to go with his name.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:06 AM
I'm All Ears

On the saga of 'My cousin bought a boerboel and it's trying to guard him from his kids' front, they sent the dog off for training with my uncle as a last ditch. My uncle is a Cesar Milan type guy but has worked with loads of working and guardian dogs. I don't see this coming out well but if this doesn't work I have no idea what is going to happen with that dog.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:12 AM
Resident fainting goat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
On the saga of 'My cousin bought a boerboel and it's trying to guard him from his kids' front, they sent the dog off for training with my uncle as a last ditch. My uncle is a Cesar Milan type guy but has worked with loads of working and guardian dogs. I don't see this coming out well but if this doesn't work I have no idea what is going to happen with that dog.
we see a lot of similar "dog is off at dog training camp" type situations.. usually the dog comes back, and is semi-trained for a bit and then when it inevitably reverts... the dog is usually looking for a new home.

I hope this works out for them poor pup

Disclaimer: I work for Trupanion and love it/our policy! But I do not speak for the company or as the company.
Old 01-19-2014, 10:21 AM
I'm All Ears

I hope it's just not a sad story with one of the kids. Ugh.
Old 01-20-2014, 05:23 AM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
Yay! I told you you were due for some good news with Fable! That's really awesome, I'm happy for you guys.
And you were right! Thanks so much! <333
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Aww man, I knew he got a boerboel, but I didn't realize it was already going so badly! :/ Crossing my fingers for a good outcome for everyone. . .
Old 01-20-2014, 12:01 PM
Kristina

Ugh, Leo is being a dirty rotten teenager.

Yesterday, we went to a small dog park. We are working on his recall, so in moments where the play would stop (aka less distractions) I usually call him to me, give him a treat, and send him on his merry way. This usually works very well.

Well, I call him over, and he is sprinting to me...when all of a sudden you can see his gears turning. Half way to me, he goes "Nah..." and breaks off his recall and saunters off. He then proceeded to merrily ignore me as I walked him down, always finding something new to run after just as I was getting close.
For that, he got a three minute leashed timeout when I did finally walk him down, at which he decides to frustration bark for almost the entire time (he is usually an extremely quiet dog, and rarely barks).

Then he was also being obnoxious to a dog who did not want to play. He is usually pretty good about reading signals and leaving those dogs alone. But tonight he just kept dive-bombing her "How about now?...Do you want to play now? What about now?" as the poor dog snarled in annoyance.

At that point, I caught him and we left. But man oh man, I am annoyed. He was being such a brat! (very uncharacteristic of him).

When do they snap out of being teenagers again? It can't come soon enough!
Old 01-20-2014, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Crate games are a godsend!

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm