Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-10-2014, 03:18 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Fred is the best sofa ninja ever. You literally have to leave your sear for half a second and he's in it, curled up and snoring and you're none the wiser till you turn around. I don't even know how he does it sometimes.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 01-10-2014, 04:31 PM
Show Dog

I finally found a place to bring Pig for nosework! But I found it in my search for a handling class to take with Badger. Sooo, if I continue taking all of the other classes I currently bring them to, I'll be going to dog classes 4-5 days a week. My social life is literally going to the dogs. Which is good I guess, considering I probably won't have much money to do normal people things anyway.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:32 PM
I'm All Ears

So I'm sitting on the couch eating dinner and using my dinner to practice Mia's sit pretty. I'm thinking this may be a bad idea.
Old 01-10-2014, 08:35 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

I have an update on Joey. I feel like I basically just paid $300 for them to not tell me much of anything, but they did prescribe an antibiotic with steroid for his eye.

Basically his eye is swollen and putting pressure on his eye socket. They did an eye stain to check for scratches/abrasions and found nothing.

Then they do blood work and while they are running blood work the vet mentions that they want to check his organ function because last time they did blood work they found his liver enzymes to be a bit high... excuse me what???? why was I not told this???? She said they didn't say anything because everything else was fine so they weren't worried about it, but now they want to double check because he is having issues... wtf....

So... they do bloodwork and said everything looks great. Yet... he has a small fever and his eye is very red and swollen... plus he has hardly been eating for the past few weeks. I think there is something they are missing and they sent me home with an antibiotic and a wish of good luck.

I am NOT happy that I still don't know what is going on with my boy.

A friend of mine mentioned that his symptoms sound very much like possible ehrlichiosis and urged me to get a SNAP test done. I'm calling the vet tomorrow and asking that they please get us in to do a SNAP test so that if it IS the case we can start doxy treatment asap.

ugh...

eta: btw I live in a tick minefield so the possibility of ehrlichiosis is a very real possibility.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-10-2014, 08:59 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittledoo View Post
I have an update on Joey. I feel like I basically just paid $300 for them to not tell me much of anything, but they did prescribe an antibiotic with steroid for his eye.

Basically his eye is swollen and putting pressure on his eye socket. They did an eye stain to check for scratches/abrasions and found nothing.

Then they do blood work and while they are running blood work the vet mentions that they want to check his organ function because last time they did blood work they found his liver enzymes to be a bit high... excuse me what???? why was I not told this???? She said they didn't say anything because everything else was fine so they weren't worried about it, but now they want to double check because he is having issues... wtf....

So... they do bloodwork and said everything looks great. Yet... he has a small fever and his eye is very red and swollen... plus he has hardly been eating for the past few weeks. I think there is something they are missing and they sent me home with an antibiotic and a wish of good luck.

I am NOT happy that I still don't know what is going on with my boy.

A friend of mine mentioned that his symptoms sound very much like possible ehrlichiosis and urged me to get a SNAP test done. I'm calling the vet tomorrow and asking that they please get us in to do a SNAP test so that if it IS the case we can start doxy treatment asap.

ugh...

eta: btw I live in a tick minefield so the possibility of ehrlichiosis is a very real possibility.
That blows that you didn't get an actual diagnosis?
Are you still going to Banfield? If so, might be time to switch. I hear so many horror stories from them :/
Especially if they aren't telling you important things like abnormal bloodwork results. That sucks.

I hope you get it figured out and he feels better soon

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
2 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi
Old 01-10-2014, 09:02 PM

Ya I still go to banfield for now because I have one of those plans with them where you pay a monthly fee and I'm committed until the plan ends. It's a year contract. I'm asking them for a copy of his bloodwork results tomorrow though because I want a second opinion. I am still completely baffled that they never would have mentioned him having high liver enzymes. That's kind of a big deal is it not?

I really wish I could see the holistic vet that one of my coworkers sees... unfortunately that vet is insanely expensive.
Old 01-10-2014, 09:05 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Ya I still go to banfield for now because I have one of those plans with them where you pay a monthly fee and I'm committed until the plan ends. It's a year contract. I'm asking them for a copy of his bloodwork results tomorrow though because I want a second opinion. I am still completely baffled that they never would have mentioned him having high liver enzymes. That's kind of a big deal is it not?

I really wish I could see the holistic vet that one of my coworkers sees... unfortunately that vet is insanely expensive.
I agree, that's a huge deal. Every vet I've ever gone to, they call and tell you the results, even if it is all normal!

Old 01-10-2014, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I agree, that's a huge deal. Every vet I've ever gone to, they call and tell you the results, even if it is all normal!
exactly. There's a vet clinic next to my work that I know a few people that work there. I'm going to have them fax his blood work results to my work so I can take them over there and have them look at them... I'm also going to get the SNAP test done. It's so unlike him to have a suppressed appetite too. He LOVES food. He will work for plain kibble that's how much he loves it and I usually have to float his food to slow him down. Him refusing food tells me something absolutely is not ok and I need to figure out what it is.

eta: he went from eating 3 cups a day to me being lucky if he eats 1 cup most of the time
Old 01-10-2014, 09:21 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
exactly. There's a vet clinic next to my work that I know a few people that work there. I'm going to have them fax his blood work results to my work so I can take them over there and have them look at them... I'm also going to get the SNAP test done. It's so unlike him to have a suppressed appetite too. He LOVES food. He will work for plain kibble that's how much he loves it and I usually have to float his food to slow him down. Him refusing food tells me something absolutely is not ok and I need to figure out what it is.

eta: he went from eating 3 cups a day to me being lucky if he eats 1 cup most of the time
Not to mention that eye stuff is nothing to dick around with. I hope you get answers soon.

Old 01-10-2014, 09:23 PM
Top Dog

Why do GSDs have to be so... WHINEY?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm