Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-09-2014, 11:06 PM
I'm All Ears

pofgjr34;oifioejrwiuhliruehwnlifrwehn

So we signed up for two 'for fun' classes plus our usual class load. then I heard they're opening up the first advanced nosework class and I reallyreally want to do it with both dogs. It's working on leash handling, distractions, working in windy areas, etc.

But I'm already in a buttload dog training things now (agility x 2, nosework group x2, tricks class x 1, distractions class x1), which is insane on its own. The thought of paying for 8 rounds of classes a week (if you count each dog as an individual class) is freaking insane. But I want to do it and I don't know if they'll offer it again. Aghhhh

Though technically the nosework group work is free unless we're renting out a facility. Aghhhh

And I wanted to try to register Summer for TDAA and also do the barn hunt.

^^ Why I don't have a third dog yet.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:19 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdragoness View Post
My OH is like that too ... He says he wants a GSD, that's fine, then he says he wants a Malinois and I was like ... Hail no. Not because I have something against them as a breed, I think they are AWESOME hard core dogs, but knowing him there is NO WAY he is he right kind of person to own a Mal.

The only thing I told him is that HE is the one who has to be totally involved with the dog or it will bond to me, he has to take it out at 2 am when it had to pee, he has to feed it and train it ... Etc and I don't think he has the dedication to do it which is why I want some say in what breed he gets because I have a funny feeling I will be raising it :/.

I wish he would leave dogs to me, but he sees how I am with mine and wants that too, the relationship and the closeness I mean. But he doesn't understand that to get that Kind of bond is the result of countless hours off ins spent.
Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry :/ I'm lucky that my BF, although not dog crazy like me, is good with dogs and will be a great owner for one. He knows the work and is prepared for that commitment & bond. He also knows what dogs would be good for him... I'd die if he wanted a Malinois LOL I think they're so cool but definitely not the dog for either of us. He's realistic and very into researching things and making sure everything is perfect. He wants (and would be great with) a Shiba, which I'm not huge on, but it would be his dog, and I could definitely at least live with one. He hates shedding though, and thinks poodles are pretty neat, so maybe, just maybe...

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 01-09-2014, 11:29 PM
Internet Warrior Ballz?!?

Looks like I'm going to have to call my vet in the morning.

Joey hasn't been eating much lately. He normally eats 3 cups a day and I'm lucky to get him to eat about a cup right now. I gave it a few days to see of or would resolve itself since he was acting otherwise normal.

Then tonight he ate all his dinner apparently according to my husband. I come home and he comes up to say hello to me and I notice that his right eye is really red and he has a lot of dried up eye boogies underneath his eye. I caught him rubbing his eye on his leg a couple times so I put the cone on him for now.

Thoughts? He is on Fromm gold. Has been on it for a few months now. Does this sound like maybe an allergy or something else? Either way... I think I need to try to see if I can get him in to the vet tomorrow.

Sad puppy

He stayed frozen like this for about ten minutes or so after I put the cone on him.
Itztli- Standard size coated Xoloitzcuintle
Old 01-09-2014, 11:32 PM
Top Dog

The first thing I do with eyes is flush them with sterile saline. It's very unlikely that would cause additional harm, and if it's just a small particle causing irritation, it can flush it out.

Poor guy!
Puzzle Piece Gabby RLV 8 years
ESRA foster Diego 12 years
Old 01-09-2014, 11:35 PM

I don't think I have any sterile saline and it's late so I don't think anything nearby is open for me to get some.
Old 01-09-2014, 11:37 PM
such sights to show you

My dogs are fun. I love them. The end.

Old 01-09-2014, 11:41 PM
Not a Border Collie

I feel your pain, skittle Quinn's left eye will occasionally get itchy and she rubs it raw. I'm not really sure what it is - I thought it could be seasonal allergies as she would do it in the spring, and it seemed to go away when I put her on probiotics, but she randomly started itching over Christmas. I just keep her distracted and put vetericyn on it. I'm really hoping it doesn't come back again this spring.

Good vibes for Joey!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-10-2014, 12:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
I feel your pain, skittle Quinn's left eye will occasionally get itchy and she rubs it raw. I'm not really sure what it is - I thought it could be seasonal allergies as she would do it in the spring, and it seemed to go away when I put her on probiotics, but she randomly started itching over Christmas. I just keep her distracted and put vetericyn on it. I'm really hoping it doesn't come back again this spring.

Good vibes for Joey!

Thank you. I feel bad for him. He went from acting totally fine to completely miserable. I just gave him two benedryl and I found some eye drops from when Cricket was having a really itchy eye from allergies a while back. Hopefully that helps him feel a little bit better this evening. Tomorrow I'm going to take a closer look at it and call my vet. My vet may be able to give me some advice over the phone but if they suggest I bring him in I'll do so. I don't know if his red itchy eye has anything to do with his lack of eating lately or not.
Old 01-10-2014, 12:02 PM
The Monster.

Cold weather + dark by 5 o'clock + (8 yr old intact female + heat cycle + chihuahua + dog that was never fully house trained in its previous home) + inattentive husband = house breaking nightmare.

I have trouble liking Mega on her best days. These certainly are not her best days.

Cheynat's O' Lady Midnight CD RE ADC SGDC FDCh-S CGN HIC, Esq.
Megatron, Heat Vampire
Ci Da: Good Dog
Old 01-10-2014, 03:10 PM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
Oh man, that sucks, I'm sorry :/ I'm lucky that my BF, although not dog crazy like me, is good with dogs and will be a great owner for one. He knows the work and is prepared for that commitment & bond. He also knows what dogs would be good for him... I'd die if he wanted a Malinois LOL I think they're so cool but definitely not the dog for either of us. He's realistic and very into researching things and making sure everything is perfect. He wants (and would be great with) a Shiba, which I'm not huge on, but it would be his dog, and I could definitely at least live with one. He hates shedding though, and thinks poodles are pretty neat, so maybe, just maybe...
Oh don't get me wrong he loves dogs and LOVES animals (breaks babies and exercises horses for a living). and he would do the necessary stuff for a while but he likes his sleep and I just KNOW that eventually I would be taking puppy out at night, feeding and such.

though at least I have made him understand dog behavior to a point where not all of his interactions with the dogs don't undo my training anymore LOL. That took some delicate explaining to make him see my POV but spare his feelings at the same and not paint myself as a bitchy control freak LOL . I used the example of how mishandling of the horses he is training ... esp in their early stages can set him back and drew a parallel from that.