Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 01-02-2014, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

I've met lots of conformation people who don't teach "sit". For some it's the belief that if you teach a dog to sit, it will sit in the ring, which is silly. For others, they are just spending so much time teaching the dog to free stack and gait, that they don't bother teaching a sit.

Watson learned to sit from day 1, and his default behaviors are sit and down. I rarely practice show handling stuff. The only time he ever sat down in the ring is during group when I let him do his own thing because he was young and bored and there were a lot of dogs in front of us, so he chose to sit or lay down most of the time. I'm not a brilliant trainer but I haven't found it hard to teach him that show lead + ring + judges + stand cue means stand up. Haha

Watson - Ch. Truepenny Olympic Triumph | Welsh Springer Spaniel | DOB 8.2.12
Old 01-02-2014, 12:33 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Michael has been gone all of 30 minutes...and Abrams is already on the couch chewing on a bone. LOL I'm so bad...or maybe Abrams is. Not sure which.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 01-02-2014, 12:36 PM
FINALLY warm ... YAY :D

Yumi and buddy were very naughty so they are now tied up in time out ... (Which is what they all get when they are naughty) Yumi is all like "ok I get it, I was bad" but buddy always has to throw a drama queen temper tantrum when he is tied up for time out (think the way a puppy acts the first time a leash is put on) but once he realizes it's not getting him anywhere he gives up and lays down for his time out.

Old 01-02-2014, 01:58 PM
Not a Border Collie

Well, it's official... I have the most accident prone dog in the world.

Just came in from the BEST, quick heeling session outside with Quinn. She had her coat on so she was being super silly, which made for really quick and animated heeling. I open the door for her, and she walks in and is suddenly on 3 legs. Not weight bearing at all on her RH. I check her foot, move all her toes, feel her leg all over and no response. A few moments later she's weight bearing and seemingly just fine, so I'm thinking maybe her feet just got too cold, but I think she's still just very slightly off. I probably wouldn't even notice, normally.

Oh Quinny, what am I going to do with you?

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 01-02-2014, 03:33 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Saw Chloe when I was home over Christmas. She's slowed down a lot and is now limping pretty badly on one of her rear legs. Apparently that isn't a common occurrence per my mom, but she's definitely not using it properly and wasn't able to jump up on command like normal. That leg has always given her problems, and I'm worried about an issue with her ACL. To top it all off her teeth are god awful, and I need to have her in for a dental.
She'll be 7 in March, which isn't old, I suppose...but it feels like it is. And I don't really know what to do with her in terms of health care when her aggression issues are so up in the air...blah. She's still supposed to be young and healthy so I don't have to think about it.

Abrams, Momma's boy Chesapeake Bay Retriever and Cynder, Daddy's girl little lab muttly
~*~ DOB 4/11/13 ~*~ DOB 1/28/2006 ~*~

Old 01-02-2014, 03:42 PM
I'm All Ears

Ugh spots opened up in two classes I want to try really badly. And they're back to back... Could easily do one with summer and one with Mia. But those plus nosework group fees to rent places and agility for both dogs would mean $50 a week dog training for 6 weeks. Plus we would be working 3 hours straight on Saturdays. But still...

I at least want to do one. Decisions...........

I think I'm going to do it. I'm officially crazy.
Old 01-02-2014, 03:51 PM
I'm All Ears

Well just put my name down. Lol. I'm sunk.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:02 PM
I'm All Ears

How to blow Mia's mind.

Tennis ball inside IQ ball.

I'm mean.
Old 01-02-2014, 10:06 PM
Club Terrible - President

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
How to blow Mia's mind.

Tennis ball inside IQ ball.

I'm mean.
HA.

Too short
Old 01-02-2014, 10:20 PM
Top Dog

Zobby tried to die today.

My dad's dog sitting, and Zobby rolled the window down and tried to jump out of the car at 40MPH.

My dad caught him when only his back legs were in the car.