Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-18-2013, 09:07 AM
I'm All Ears

Mine are the only paps in the club and we've seen one other running at local trials (akc only and it's a phalene which I had to explain was the same breed). Shelties aren't even that common here. I'd bet over 3/4 the entries at the last trial were BCs. My club members were surprised that paps were everywhere at nationals.

I've converted several although I think they all probably think paps are the barkiest dogs in the world thanks to mine. I Even mentioned looking at a certain vocal breed and everyone laughs and said they would fit right in.

A lot of herders are on the list. I know it's going to be a herder for sure because I still miss having them. What are you planning Yvonne?

Small dogs aren't common in general and most seem to be schnauzers. I do think I want to keep running papillons. After both girls retire I'll probably get another. I really want one with a solid temperament that I can start as a pup. At their best papillons are just too much fun.

Last edited by Laurelin; 12-18-2013 at 09:27 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:12 AM
I'm All Ears

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
Yeah ask me sometime how well that two-dog plan worked out for me *grin*

It's not really any more arbitrary than preferring a certain coat color, etc. Your first priority is finding a dog who is a good match and with whom you'll be happy, so who cares if the reason is something some would find frivolous?

Or you could just move here, where Aussies and Shelties match or outnumber BCs, and Papillons are everywhere
Haha I'm glad its not totally ridiculous. I do like people being pleasantly surprised by my dogs and I also like how many compliments I get that people fell in love with the breed after my dogs. I heard my trainer bragging on them to some ACD people who were shocked such small dogs did agility.

I really wanted to have two dogs but three will end up happening. I want to try avoiding four dogs. I really do. I have a feeling four may happen some in the farther future too. Luckily I don't have enough money to really work more than two dogs in agility at once. Haha

Last edited by Laurelin; 12-18-2013 at 09:26 AM.
Old 12-18-2013, 09:35 AM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

My plan was only two. Then Pepper happened and it became three. I knew pretty quickly after that four was going to be the reality. It's a good thing we're only allowed four in this city, and also that I can't afford a house in the country. Or I would have four RIGHT NOW. TODAY. And five would happen later.

Honestly three isn't bad, or maybe it's just these three. Pepper is hardly any trouble at all so she almost doesn't count, so really it's just Auggie and Payton to worry about. Adding a Payton-baby to the mix might be too crazy. GUESS WE'LL FIND OUT

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 12-18-2013, 09:42 AM
I'm All Ears

We're allowed four in town. For some reason I thought three but found out recently it was four. That's when the thoughts of 2 herders and 2 paps at a time started entering my head.

Summer totally doesn't count. She's not demanding at all and would just sleep all day and chew bully sticks. She loves agility and park but she's totally go with the flow, which is nice.

I do think I'll just have three and won't get another till Summer is gone.

I think the rest of my life may go herder, pap, herder, pap, etc. I definitely want to keep at least a few years between them.

I also know when dog 3 comes home I'm going to have all my family tell me it's a terrible idea and I've gone crazy. Ugh
Old 12-18-2013, 10:02 AM
Vizsla mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
Mine are the only paps in the club and we've seen one other running at local trials (akc only and it's a phalene which I had to explain was the same breed). Shelties aren't even that common here. I'd bet over 3/4 the entries at the last trial were BCs. My club members were surprised that paps were everywhere at nationals.

I've converted several although I think they all probably think paps are the barkiest dogs in the world thanks to mine. I Even mentioned looking at a certain vocal breed and everyone laughs and said they would fit right in.

A lot of herders are on the list. I know it's going to be a herder for sure because I still miss having them. What are you planning Yvonne?

Small dogs aren't common in general and most seem to be schnauzers. I do think I want to keep running papillons. After both girls retire I'll probably get another. I really want one with a solid temperament that I can start as a pup. At their best papillons are just too much fun.
That's crazy you have the only paps! Even our tiny trials (well, I'm assuming other places have significantly more than 70 entries lol) have all kinds of Paps running! Small dogs are pretty common here ..most people seem to own a herder+ a small dog ..usually Aussie& pap, actually. Border Collie people are pretty stuck on BCs LOL!

My plan? It's still 2yrs away& it's killing me. I'm sure everyone will find out sooner or later I'm also the same as you ..I'll be herder of choice, Vizsla& repeat as for bringing puppies into our world. I love, love, love my dog but a herder is my next stop!
Old 12-18-2013, 10:16 AM
I'm All Ears

I know quite a few Aussie/pap or BC/pap people online. The Sheltie rescue here also rescues paps but they don't get very many. Doesn't help that I know both the Sheltie and BC rescue folks.

I like Aussies a lot but the paps hate hate hate body slamming and a lot of the Aussies seem to do that and don't seem to inhibit themselves so much. I have to watch the Aussies a lot closer than the BCs. Been looking at MAS a bit since they're smaller.

You're killing me but I guess I'm doing the same thing. What year are you looking at? Mine will be probably early 2015. Maybe late 2014.

My trainer has a young vizsla and she's crazy high energy and athletic. I see the appeal of them but not sure they'd fit me. She's cool and when she's on she's faster than the BC and jumps insanely well. It's crazy her athleticism.
Old 12-18-2013, 10:56 AM
Vizsla mom

Early 2016 I do believe I know a girl who just got a mini Aussie and he is gorgeous, athletic and SMART.

Yeah, Penn is amazing, fast& ON when she's on. People are already commenting she'll crush the competition& Jess Martin said she was easily one of the nicest handling, speedy Vizslas she's ever seen. She's had maybe 6 knocks in 12 months of training. LOL

She's also very independent and sometimes (a lot) doesn't care what I want her to do. It's frustrating and I long for the focus of a herder. All I want in my next dog is toy drive& focus. I'm so excited for my next pup..
Old 12-18-2013, 03:46 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Talon is on Santa's Naughty list this year.

I LOVE the white chocolate kisses with the candy cane bits in them that come around only around Christmas. Of course I had to buy two bags and I grab one or two to eat after a meal. Well, I've found out Talon is obsessed with them.

I put three candies on the table next to the couch, grabbed one, unwrapped it and ate it. Two minutes later I go to grab another candy kiss and I look over and Talon is oh so gently grabbing the very top of the candy kiss. His eyes goes wide, his neck is stretched out as far as possible as he twists because his body is under the couch so I wouldn't see him approach. He looks at me wide eyed unsure, I look at him a bit stunned to stay anything. Than he ever so slowly picks up the candy kiss and starts slowly backing back into his spot under the couch. Obviously I stopped him, those are my candy kisses RAWR!

But he really doesn't steal things like that! Except for these, I've caught him three times trying to steal one, now I have to horde them in my lap as to ward off any thievery. lol
Old 12-18-2013, 04:15 PM
Silence, peasants.

Ahhh, Feist started shedding and it's everywhere! Curse you puppy, time for a bath with the zoom groom.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 12-18-2013, 04:23 PM
Not a Border Collie

I have a sick obsession with dog beds. Found a really nice, BIG, thinner but cushy dog bed (would work great as a crate or car mat) at Winners. I have no idea where I'm going to put it, but it was only $30 and I know I wouldn't be able to get a bed of that size for that cheap, again.

I have way too many dog beds/mats. I have like three at my dad's house alone. I don't even crate my dog, FFS!

Quinn - English Shepherd