Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-27-2013, 03:21 PM
Not a Border Collie

Just checked out a pet store in our new area (we're in the process moving). Nice owner, great brands and selection, but sold designer puppies? But cheap? It was very weird. Anyways, we met a really nice guy in there who turned out to be a horse person like my mom and I - who mentioned he just lost a puppy to Parvo.

Yikes! Quinn is vaccinated and the guy seemed like a very responsible owner who I'm sure disinfected everything, but I still have the heebie jeebies. Especially since we have a baby puppy coming in ~5 weeks.

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-27-2013, 06:26 PM
Top Dog

I'd like to start getting involved in agility. I really would. I have time and dog issues though. First off...the only facility around here that is possible to take classes at, their classes are $105/4 weeks. Ouch. It's not like I don't have the money, but that seems a little much. All the other places, the class times don't really work with my schedule.

And then I come to the dog issue. I just can't do it with Romeo with his vision. Rally and obedience is one thing, but not so much agility. And I'm doing the rally thing with him now because it is attainable, I just don't love it. It's stupid to bring him to class with me because he's past the instructor's point of improving.

Skye..I just don't know. We are doing OK in obedience classes through the week, but not making a ton of progress. She sticks to me if we are inside, but if we go outside? She loses focus. She won't take treats. She doesn't do toys. She will run off in a second. I'm sure it's some of my doing, but she's just not a velcro dog. She's never been an off-leash sort of dog. I'm considering doing a recall clinic but I don't even know if she enjoys this stuff. I was outside with her today, I asked for a recall and she was blowing me off so bad. There was nothing distracting her, she was just wandering and sniffing. We had been doing really well in the backyard previously. Sometimes I seriously wonder if she shouldn't just be a well loved pet..nothing wrong with that!

Zoie has luxating patellas and forced sits/downs, jumping, and whatever doesn't jive with her.

I've been considering another dog. Seriously. We have so many though, and there are so many 'what ifs'. And then I kind of 'meh' at having to start with an untrained dog. And then I feel bad, because I will probably end up bringing the new one to obedience class instead of Skye..but would Skye actually like that? And then is it stupid to get another dog just because I want to do sports with it? But..it IS something I really want to do! I don't really want to bring another dog into the house with my mom...hello, bad habits. But then again if someone is around to let a puppy out while I'm at work..that would be fab. Considering purchasing a house, but then will I have the money/time to continue training and trialing? And I probably shouldn't add another dog if I end up wanting to rent.

I just need to marry rich or win the lotto.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Especially since we have a baby puppy coming in ~5 weeks.
Puppy?! Another ES?

Old 07-27-2013, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
I'd like to start getting involved in agility. I really would. I have time and dog issues though. First off...the only facility around here that is possible to take classes at, their classes are $105/4 weeks. Ouch. It's not like I don't have the money, but that seems a little much. All the other places, the class times don't really work with my schedule.

And then I come to the dog issue. I just can't do it with Romeo with his vision. Rally and obedience is one thing, but not so much agility. And I'm doing the rally thing with him now because it is attainable, I just don't love it. It's stupid to bring him to class with me because he's past the instructor's point of improving.

Skye..I just don't know. We are doing OK in obedience classes through the week, but not making a ton of progress. She sticks to me if we are inside, but if we go outside? She loses focus. She won't take treats. She doesn't do toys. She will run off in a second. I'm sure it's some of my doing, but she's just not a velcro dog. She's never been an off-leash sort of dog. I'm considering doing a recall clinic but I don't even know if she enjoys this stuff. I was outside with her today, I asked for a recall and she was blowing me off so bad. There was nothing distracting her, she was just wandering and sniffing. We had been doing really well in the backyard previously. Sometimes I seriously wonder if she shouldn't just be a well loved pet..nothing wrong with that!

Zoie has luxating patellas and forced sits/downs, jumping, and whatever doesn't jive with her.

I've been considering another dog. Seriously. We have so many though, and there are so many 'what ifs'. And then I kind of 'meh' at having to start with an untrained dog. And then I feel bad, because I will probably end up bringing the new one to obedience class instead of Skye..but would Skye actually like that? And then is it stupid to get another dog just because I want to do sports with it? But..it IS something I really want to do! I don't really want to bring another dog into the house with my mom...hello, bad habits. But then again if someone is around to let a puppy out while I'm at work..that would be fab. Considering purchasing a house, but then will I have the money/time to continue training and trialing? And I probably shouldn't add another dog if I end up wanting to rent.

Puppy?! Another ES?
You can borrow Gwen

Australian Kelpie and Coursing Fiend~ 2
http://fuzzycircus.blogspot.com/

Passion Parties Consultant
https://erinnmitsch.yourpassionconsultant.com/index.asp
Old 07-27-2013, 08:26 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sit Stay View Post
Especially since we have a baby puppy coming in ~5 weeks.
Details???

Quote:

want to borrow Hudson?

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Airn View Post
You can borrow Gwen
Quote:
Originally Posted by LostAndConfused View Post
Details???

want to borrow Hudson?
Send em both!

Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:

Puppy?! Another ES?
You need that ACD puppy.

I really want to do agility, but cannot has a dog

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13
Old 07-27-2013, 09:47 PM
Not a Border Collie

I am waiting for new pictures to do the big reveal. BUT I will say that it is not another English Shepherd - it will be my mom's dog, and I tried my best to convince her, but she decided to go another direction. I still think Chaz will be happy though - I certainly am!

I actually turned down a lovely ES litter this summer in favor of my mom getting her dog this year while the timing/her health enables her to. I am still hoping to add one in a year or two though!

Quinn - English Shepherd

Old 07-27-2013, 09:52 PM
I'm All Ears

I want an agility puppy too. I think it'll be best though after I buy my house (spring is what I'm shooting for there). So hopefully in the next 1-2 years. Feels like such a long wait! But worth it. And I'm really glad I've gotten to train my current two before getting my next dog.

I think you could work through Skye's problems for what it's worth. There's a lot of dogs I've seen in agility that aren't so.... velcro. A good trainer will help you work through that even if it may take a bit longer than some other dogs.
Old 07-27-2013, 10:00 PM
orange iguanas.

I have Juno and Lucy curled up in my lap, and Happy curled up at my feet. I love these kiddos.

Although I wanted to strangle Lucy an hour ago. We put a diaper on her when we leave because she's not bright and will pee on the rug if we don't. So I got home tonight and took her diaper off, went to let her outside... and discovered she peed in the diaper! Who does that!!! MY dogs would not do that

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 07-27-2013, 10:04 PM
Love My Mutt <3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Southpaw View Post
I have Juno and Lucy curled up in my lap, and Happy curled up at my feet. I love these kiddos.

Although I wanted to strangle Lucy an hour ago. We put a diaper on her when we leave because she's not bright and will pee on the rug if we don't. So I got home tonight and took her diaper off, went to let her outside... and discovered she peed in the diaper! Who does that!!! MY dogs would not do that
Is that abnormal for her? Is she acting normal now? I'd be worried if it is abnormal for her.

Or maybe she was just mad at you for something.

Goodbye, Rosey. You were the best girl I could have asked for. 10/15/96-03/08/13