Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 12-01-2013, 06:26 PM
I'm All Ears

We went for a hike and Mia was crazy the entire time and sprinting everywhere. Then we got home and she was nuts and zoomies around the house and jumping all over the couch. Then she abruptly crashed and fell asleep. I swear dogs are like toddlers.
Old 12-01-2013, 06:47 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Cynder is trying to kill me.

Gave her a bath tonight and noticed that she has some hairloss/scabbies above her left eye. Wouldn't be too concerning, but I also noticed about a month or so ago a very small circular patch of hair missing from her front leg near her elbow...so now I'm convinced she has mange. Or ringworm. Or both.

And, after her bath, she was jumping around and all excited to be done, and she went to jump up, slipped, and then banged her face on the hard floor. She was working her jaw a little oddly, but no teeth were chipped and she's still functioning, thank goodness.

I really don't want to break the dog. I really, really don't.

On the bright side, she's back up to 30.3lbs! Which is as heavy as she's ever been. That two pound weight loss REALLY looked bad on her, but I've got her back to normal. Whoot!
AND, I think she may be getting a bit "better", because she can eat at an angle now (front feet on the arm rest, dish on the end table kind of thing) and I only have to keep her vertical after eating for about ten minutes. Little to no regurge! Yey!

Old 12-01-2013, 06:49 PM
such sights to show you

The youngsters. Are so dirty. Squash is gray. GRAY. I don't feel like bathing dogs, unnnnng.

Old 12-01-2013, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
Cynder is trying to kill me.

Gave her a bath tonight and noticed that she has some hairloss/scabbies above her left eye. Wouldn't be too concerning, but I also noticed about a month or so ago a very small circular patch of hair missing from her front leg near her elbow...so now I'm convinced she has mange. Or ringworm. Or both.

And, after her bath, she was jumping around and all excited to be done, and she went to jump up, slipped, and then banged her face on the hard floor. She was working her jaw a little oddly, but no teeth were chipped and she's still functioning, thank goodness.

I really don't want to break the dog. I really, really don't.

On the bright side, she's back up to 30.3lbs! Which is as heavy as she's ever been. That two pound weight loss REALLY looked bad on her, but I've got her back to normal. Whoot!
AND, I think she may be getting a bit "better", because she can eat at an angle now (front feet on the arm rest, dish on the end table kind of thing) and I only have to keep her vertical after eating for about ten minutes. Little to no regurge! Yey!
You know, I was doing a little research last night, and hit upon something that might be of interest to you (now that I see this post!). Megaesophagus is linked to hypothyroidism in adult dogs, as is coat problems/hairloss. Might be something worth digging into?

Old 12-01-2013, 08:07 PM
such sights to show you

Oh god Squash your ass stinks.

Old 12-01-2013, 08:46 PM
On second thought...

Cameron is cuddled on the couch with my brothers girlfriend who was previously considered an unwanted tresspasser.

So congrats to my baby girl, and hopefully (though probably not) this will give my family some faith in my clicker training and treating.

Signature by aadufield, on Flickr

Proud owner of Cameron, a Chow Chow mix, and Duncan, a http://www.chazhound.com/forums/t141489/.
Old 12-01-2013, 09:28 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

For some reason Talon has lost all his manners. Walk on the leash is a pain lately. He use to walk so nicely and today I couldn't take one full step without him running (well trying to run) fuel speed. Arg! And his house manners. I swear he knew how to settle down a few weeks ago! Someone tell me he just got the stubborn teenage stage late! ? Lol
Old 12-01-2013, 10:02 PM
"I'm kupo for kupo nuts!"

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazedACD View Post
You know, I was doing a little research last night, and hit upon something that might be of interest to you (now that I see this post!). Megaesophagus is linked to hypothyroidism in adult dogs, as is coat problems/hairloss. Might be something worth digging into?
First thing we did when she was diagnosed was run a full panel of bloodwork and all of her values were perfect. I *think* the test that was run was a free T4, but I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, I would assume if she was hypothyroid enough to have MegaE and hair loss as a symptom, she'd register at the very least low normal on a thyroid check. But she didn't, because the universe wants to throw idiopathic things at me, apparently.

Her spots really remind me of just localized "acne" type irritations, which I've seen associated with fungal type infections.

Definitely could be related, though. I may repeat a T4 on her for kicks and giggles if nothing else if found. I'm also curious of what another radiograph of her chest would look like, as her esophagus was SUPER dilated when we first took one. Most cases of MegaE are difficult to diagnose on a radiograph...not her. One of the vets actually walked into the room to look at the picture and said, "Holy ****." (He's a coworker, so it is excused. Although he apologized anyway. lol) I'm curious if it isn't as dilated since we're having an easier time managing her now, or if it is still the same.

Old 12-01-2013, 10:36 PM
Duuuuude.

We have mice living in our garage. Not a big deal, but at some point Rowan saw them. He would NOT settle at all after that. Nuh uh, no way, there's vermin to be caught and Rowan's your guy. Except that 1) we don't want to kill the mice, and 2) I really don't think Rowan could actually catch a mouse.

I'm actually kind of glad I had to leave for another overnight. I'm sure he was a pain in the ass the rest of the day :P Oh, who am I kidding, even when he's being obnoxious I love my boy more than the world.

Edit: Also, Wednesday is Riff's first gotcha day. Wow!

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 12-01-2013, 10:42 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by *blackrose View Post
First thing we did when she was diagnosed was run a full panel of bloodwork and all of her values were perfect. I *think* the test that was run was a free T4, but I'm not 100% sure. Regardless, I would assume if she was hypothyroid enough to have MegaE and hair loss as a symptom, she'd register at the very least low normal on a thyroid check. But she didn't, because the universe wants to throw idiopathic things at me, apparently.

Her spots really remind me of just localized "acne" type irritations, which I've seen associated with fungal type infections.

Definitely could be related, though. I may repeat a T4 on her for kicks and giggles if nothing else if found. I'm also curious of what another radiograph of her chest would look like, as her esophagus was SUPER dilated when we first took one. Most cases of MegaE are difficult to diagnose on a radiograph...not her. One of the vets actually walked into the room to look at the picture and said, "Holy ****." (He's a coworker, so it is excused. Although he apologized anyway. lol) I'm curious if it isn't as dilated since we're having an easier time managing her now, or if it is still the same.
If you decide to repeat the thyroid screen, I recommend sending it off to Michigan State for a full profile. A dog can have a normal T4, and still be hypothyroid for that particular dog. Unless you have a baseline to compare it to, you can't really tell anything from a T4, at least not with certainty.