Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-25-2013, 05:55 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linds View Post
I miss my Kaylee. So much. I have her collar sitting on the table and it's just awful. And every morning and night when I'm letting all the dogs in and out it feels like I keep forgetting someone.

It also doesn't help Hannah isn't doing well either and her time is really coming up fast.

I hate dogs.
I'm sorry

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai View Post
A herd of 8-9 deer ran through our neighbor's field this morning while I had the dogs out.

Hurray for understanding boundaries, leave it, and recalls...

Thinking I may need to rig up a barrier to protect my newly planted fruit trees from deer nibbling over the winter...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyblue5290 View Post
Yay for a great recall!

We were playing disc in the park with Talon the other day. David was throwing the discs as I took pics and at one point we had three people walking right past us 2 with dogs and Talon barely glanced at them, didn't faulter to do his "job" and come back to us.

Then we had a serious test. David through the disc and as soon as he did I looked were it was going and it was right at a loose dog. O_O Some kind of shepherd/husky mix I think. David was faster than me and immediately recalled Talon and, even though he obviously saw the dog, Talon recalled off the disc, and immediately came back to us! ^_^

This kind of makes up for him being such a jerk in the house lately.
Siri has a pretty awesome recall, she's never REALLY blown it and given me a reason to not trust her. But...I just don't feel like I will ever REALLY trust her. She can be SO prey driven that I feel like I could never be better than a squirrel. Last week she did recall and keep focus on me across the street from a herd of squirrels, but at the same time they weren't running away from her, just eating corn from a feeder.

I want to trust her, but there's always something that holds me back. I think it's just that fear that if she DOES blow it, she could get lost/hit by a car/etc.

ETA: She runs on a 100ft long line, and I've never had to step on it to stop her or anything. It drives me nuts that I don't trust her, but I can't lol.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-25-2013, 06:06 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
I'm sorry

Siri has a pretty awesome recall, she's never REALLY blown it and given me a reason to not trust her. But...I just don't feel like I will ever REALLY trust her. She can be SO prey driven that I feel like I could never be better than a squirrel. Last week she did recall and keep focus on me across the street from a herd of squirrels, but at the same time they weren't running away from her, just eating corn from a feeder.

I want to trust her, but there's always something that holds me back. I think it's just that fear that if she DOES blow it, she could get lost/hit by a car/etc.

ETA: She runs on a 100ft long line, and I've never had to step on it to stop her or anything. It drives me nuts that I don't trust her, but I can't lol.
Idk what it is, but for some reason I can't trust smaller dogs as much off leash.. Like my little rat terrier was perfect with her recall but I NEVER let her off leash... While the bigger boys are always off leash. Maybe it's that I think she can run faster or disappear quicker.. And couldn't defend herself as well?

Red Dog's Reconnaissance Man CGC CL1-R CL1-H CL1-F CL1-S USJ
General Patton Vom Winter Storm
Old 11-25-2013, 07:03 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJEtzel View Post
Idk what it is, but for some reason I can't trust smaller dogs as much off leash.. Like my little rat terrier was perfect with her recall but I NEVER let her off leash... While the bigger boys are always off leash. Maybe it's that I think she can run faster or disappear quicker.. And couldn't defend herself as well?
I feel like it's not size for me, I feel like it would be any dog, no matter the size. I'm terrified of having her get hit by a car. But the more we get into agility, the harder it is to work her on a long line.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:31 PM
Happy Meal. Yum.

Quote:

See I'm the same way with every other dog I know. Art for one I don't trust. He's never really done anything, but I can see it in his eyes. If a squirrel ran past or a cat I know he'd be off, maybe not every time but just once.

Talon on the other hand is different He's not perfect, but he's so focused on his frisbee/ball he doesn't really care about what else is going on. I'm a nervous person who doesn't like to take chances really, but for some reason Talon is different. We did have him on a long line for a long while, even though he never showed any interest in diverting from his path. After the millionth time of my legs/finger/arm almost being chopped off, plus Talon getting his leg tangled and almost breaking it one time we stopped doing it. It also severely limits the distance he can go from me to get the disc, but the last time we had it on he spun suddenly and then jumped for the disc and it wrapped around his leg and he screamed so loud I was afraid his leg was broken. That really scared me away from using it. At this point, with him in this particular area and when playing frisbee I feel like there's a much greater risk with it on than with it off. THough we still use it if we go to a new area or if I'm doing obedience rather than frisbee.
Old 11-25-2013, 07:44 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

Quote:
I feel like it's not size for me, I feel like it would be any dog, no matter the size. I'm terrified of having her get hit by a car. But the more we get into agility, the harder it is to work her on a long line.
I'm the same way. There's nowhere around here we're allowed to have them off leash so it doesn't matter, but even if we could, I just don't think I could do it. It only takes a split second.
Agility is the only time I feel like I can take them off leash and not have to worry they'll run out of the ring or away from the practice jump or something on me. Agility is probably higher value than I am. =P

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 11-25-2013, 08:42 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beanie View Post
I'm the same way. There's nowhere around here we're allowed to have them off leash so it doesn't matter, but even if we could, I just don't think I could do it. It only takes a split second.
Agility is the only time I feel like I can take them off leash and not have to worry they'll run out of the ring or away from the practice jump or something on me. Agility is probably higher value than I am. =P
I'm so with you guys. Unfortunately, I've witnessed multiple dogs (none of them mine, thank goodness) get hit by cars, in different towns and settings, literally right in front of me Seeing that happen more than once, I just can't bring myself to not think about what could happen, even when I'm not immediately near a busy road.

Snout Prints on the Window
Old 11-25-2013, 08:46 PM
I'm All Ears

So this happened when I came home from work:

I let Summer wear her fleece shirt while I was out. She loves it and gets cold easily. I came home and let them out and Summer had the neck hole around her waist and her back legs in the arm holes and the rest looked kind of like a skirt. I... didn't notice and opened the door. Summer runs outside and pees all over her sweater/skirt.
Old 11-25-2013, 09:06 PM
Silence, peasants.

I am still not used to having a dog that likes to stare at me all the time. It's a little unnerving.

Feistea, ze Blog
Old 11-25-2013, 09:13 PM
I'm All Ears

How can an 8 lb dog and an IQ ball be so darn loud!?
Old 11-25-2013, 09:28 PM
Rollin' with my bitches

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
I am still not used to having a dog that likes to stare at me all the time. It's a little unnerving.
Hahahaha... I always imagine Blossom singing that Sting song to me, "Every breath you taaaaaake... every move you maaaaake...." LOL