Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 11-22-2013, 01:51 PM
Show Dog

I discovered yesterday that Leo growls at dogs when he is on leash. It seems to be all dogs. :-(
Then this morning, a dog walked by outside (he couldn't even see him, just hear the jingle of the collar) and he also growled.

His foster parent said he was good with other dogs, and at the shelter he was in close proximity with other dogs and was fine. But now he growls at all of them. This confuses me and also makes me sad.
Besides that Leo has no issues at all. He is super human friendly and well behaved.

I don't really know how to handle it. I want to continue socializing him with other dogs (since he is still only 9 months) but how do I start when I don't know how he is going to react to them? :-/
Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

Siri is SO ready for the snow with her fleece, her parka, and now I just got confirmation that her boots (please please please let them fit/work) shipped today! Frodo is seriously excited about the snow and already did his favorite rolling in the snow and refusing to come back inside schpeal.

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-22-2013, 01:52 PM
LABRADERP!

I want my dog back......
10/01/2013
Gunslinger's Snowfall Banshee Scream "Takoda"
03/22/2010
Forever in my heart
Murray's Bojangles is High Rollin' "Beau"
11/03/2002-11/21/2013
Old 11-22-2013, 01:55 PM
Priscilla Winifred Corgi

At least it is only growling, and if you get started working on it now it will probably be no big deal I would highly suggest the LAT game, make sure he is far enough away from the other dog to feel safe, and click and treat every time he looks at the other dog. Be fast and shovel food in his mouth as soon as he looks at the other dog, don't wait until he starts growling. If you know other people with dogs, ask them to help you. Every time Leo looks at another dog it should be THE BEST EVER! You want him to see another dog and go OMG LOOK FOOD PERSON, THERE'S A DOG! WHERE IS MY TREAT?!! Start changing the association now, work hard, and make it a non-issue before it becomes a real problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post
I discovered yesterday that Leo growls at dogs when he is on leash. It seems to be all dogs. :-(
Then this morning, a dog walked by outside (he couldn't even see him, just hear the jingle of the collar) and he also growled.

His foster parent said he was good with other dogs, and at the shelter he was in close proximity with other dogs and was fine. But now he growls at all of them. This confuses me and also makes me sad.
Besides that Leo has no issues at all. He is super human friendly and well behaved.

I don't really know how to handle it. I want to continue socializing him with other dogs (since he is still only 9 months) but how do I start when I don't know how he is going to react to them? :-/

Ado's Gimme Victory RL1* "Siri"
1.5 year old Jack Russell Terrier
Gimme Drugs Not Hugs RL1 "Frodo"
8 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi

*All Siri's rally/obedience titles are to be considered handled by Megan,
because ain't nobody (read: me) got time or skills fo' dat.
Old 11-22-2013, 02:21 PM
Silence, peasants.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PWCorgi View Post
At least it is only growling, and if you get started working on it now it will probably be no big deal I would highly suggest the LAT game, make sure he is far enough away from the other dog to feel safe, and click and treat every time he looks at the other dog. Be fast and shovel food in his mouth as soon as he looks at the other dog, don't wait until he starts growling. If you know other people with dogs, ask them to help you. Every time Leo looks at another dog it should be THE BEST EVER! You want him to see another dog and go OMG LOOK FOOD PERSON, THERE'S A DOG! WHERE IS MY TREAT?!! Start changing the association now, work hard, and make it a non-issue before it becomes a real problem
Seriously, such good advice. It sounds counter intuitive, but it works and I love LAT.

Feistea, ze Blog
Feist - 1 y/o Border Collie
Wesley - 3 y/o nephew derpoodle
Cleo - 13 y/o 'family dog' mini poodle
Old 11-22-2013, 02:23 PM
orange iguanas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick View Post

Also adding that a dog can growl while on leash and still be good with other dogs. I agree, work with him on it since it's still not a fun behavior, but it doesn't necessarily have to mean he can't be around dogs. Juno will lunge and growl if we walk past other dogs - but she can actually do an on leash greeting just fine and goes to the dog park etc and is wonderful.

Id have a better response if I wasn't on my phone but just wanted to mention it doesn't have to be worst case scenario!

Juno 2009 :: Happy 2000 :: Lucy 2006 :: Cajun 2013
Old 11-22-2013, 07:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Yes this . Fiona can be a little grumbly in a crowded situation with other dogs trying to sniff her, and especially if the other dog is anxious/staring her down/etc. We started doing some heavy focus stuff, LAT, just a strong WATCH ME and it has worked pretty quickly to get her to focus on me when she sees another dog. She isn't aggressive either when meeting the dogs, just grumbly on leash.

And don't forget, you just adopted him, he might just need to settle in and learn to have trust in you .

Old 11-22-2013, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

I'm pretty sure that Shamans brains are now located in his balls. Really? You don't know what sit means? I don't think so. He's obsessed with all the females at work, not one of which has had any response to his admittedly awkward flirting

Booty Dancing In Heaven 10/13/03-9/15/12
As much as I try to be one of those easygoing 'spread your wings and fly' types, I just can't stop trying to burst people into flames with my mind.
Old 11-23-2013, 12:19 AM
Show Dog

Quote:
Thanks for the advice! I tried this on our evening walk, and it does seem to help a bit. I didn't feed him his dinner and went out on a walk with him (and it in my pocket) instead. Then it was: see a dog, click, shovel a handful of food in his face Just one or two pieces wasn't enough, but a handful definitely did the trick for him to complete forget about the other dog.
It seemed to work. He only growled once, and that was when a dog and owner rounded the corner and surprised both of us. The others, I saw first, and was ready.

I will continue working on this with him. It's nice to have something to do, instead of feeling helpless.
Old 11-23-2013, 10:05 AM
<------ CLAIM! ^_^

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oko View Post
Seriously, such good advice. It sounds counter intuitive, but it works and I love LAT.
I did the same thing with buddy and leashes / collars because he hated them. He still doesn't love them and I don't think he ever will ... But at least we have graduated from "OH MY GOD! I HATE IT YOU ARENT GETTING ANYWHERE NEAR ME WITH IT!" To "I still don't know about this but I get treats every time it's on so I guess it ident so bad."