Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 07-25-2013, 11:10 AM
Meagan&TheCattleDogCrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by FG167 View Post
A musing...do I want a Staffy or an ACD. I'm on tentative lists for a year or more from now...I wish there were more drivey dogs in my area I could meet in person. BUT, I know I love the Staffies in Flyball so that's a plus.

That's AWESOME! I wonder if I could go...and support. There's a team in Nashville that has welcomed Kastle and I any time we can...wonder if they're going
Ack! You need to go so I can meet you as well! A mini-Chaz meetup! Also, I'm still not 100% sold that an ACD is what you are looking for. I would highly recommend meeting some working, but reputable, bred ACD's before you make the final decision. I'm obviously the odd one out though, so maybe I'm just crazy. Lol!

Harlow 2010 Boxer :: Rider 2012 ACDx :: Tulsa 2014 ACD

http://trailingcattle.blogspot.com/
Old 07-25-2013, 01:02 PM
Like a bat outa' hell

Pan really needs to STOP growing. He is getting so big already. And OMG puppy tantrums are the worst. He is such a stubborn ass.

Teagan Westhighland White Terrier
Panzer South African Boerboel Mastiff
Old 07-25-2013, 01:26 PM
Behavior Nerd

meepits: The Can Am is in Indianapolis, October 18-20th. It would be super cool to meet up with you there if you can make it (and the team has enough people to go)!

FG you should totally come up!

Old 07-25-2013, 02:54 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurelin View Post
You should get a papillon. Just cause I want one but don't think I'll get another for a few dogs.

I heard of an awesome sports potential pup this week tht is up for grabs and had to turn it down. Bah responsibility! I know I won't regret waiting until after I move and after the girls are further along training.
Oh they've crossed my mind! I figured I would be picking some brains around here (hint, hint, LOL) about physical needs and such.

As I said, our house is slowing down, kids moving on, and we need a smaller and less active breed of dog. A breed that would be happy/healthy with a short (mile or less) daily walk and some play time in the house/backyard.

When I said "December....January" that is when I plan to start actively looking, so of course I'll need to have my mind made up (or narrowed) on a breed/s. I'll be getting a thread on the matter going pretty soon and I might even shoot you a PM or two I have no qualms with adopting from a shelter, craig's list, etc etc but I do want to go in prepared with clear expectations of what will work for us at this stage in our lives.

I REALLY don't want to end up with a criminal master mind like Mia though! LMAO! (I'm getting too old to keep up with the likes of her! LOL)
Old 07-25-2013, 03:46 PM
Top Dog

At work I've noticed all of the German Shepherds do the EXACT same bark when they are annoyed with another dog. It's this high pitched sort of soft/restrained bark usually done with lips pulled back to show teeth, usually right in the face of the offending dog, but with the shepherds head turned slightly away. It's just so strange they all do it and I've never seen it from any of the other dogs.

In other news, working at the daycare has made me sort of fall in love with German Shepherds and Huskies, two breeds I had no interest in at all. It's funny though, my first week working there multiple people told me working there made them hate German Shepherds.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 07-25-2013, 03:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by stardogs View Post
meepits: The Can Am is in Indianapolis, October 18-20th. It would be super cool to meet up with you there if you can make it (and the team has enough people to go)!

FG you should totally come up!
Oh boo, can't. That's the weekend of IPO worlds! My TD is competing and we're going to support.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meepitsmeagan View Post
Also, I'm still not 100% sold that an ACD is what you are looking for.
Me neither, lots of time to hopefully meet some and decide...but I am struggling finding anyone around here with NOT show bred ACDs running agility...however, I *know* I love Staffies
Old 07-25-2013, 08:44 PM
Top Dog

I want a cheap harness for Hudson for vacation because of the beach. I kind of want to try my hand at making one because I have lots of nylon webbing and buckles, I just don't trust my handy-work not to fail when Hudson hits the end of a leash with all his might. He can drag me when he does that.

Peco,
Male Lacy Game Dog
June 2003 - Feb. 2012

Hudson,
Male black & white English Shepherd
August 27th 2012

Blog - http://thedogreviews.blogspot.com/
Old 07-25-2013, 11:28 PM
Duuuuude.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
In other news, working at the daycare has made me sort of fall in love with German Shepherds and Huskies, two breeds I had no interest in at all. It's funny though, my first week working there multiple people told me working there made them hate German Shepherds.
Everyone at my daycare hates GSDs too, but I love them and working with them only made me want one more! I think they're just poor daycare candidates, generally, so they see the annoying side where I'm like whoa, I bet that dog is AWESOME at home!

My muse of the day: I think I need to be more flexible about my future breed, because I'm coming to realize that I have very high demands for a breeder. I basically want a soulmate in a breeder, lol. I want someone that will become a good friend and mentor and I think that might be hard to find if I'm only looking at one or two breeds. Luckily my criteria is somewhat broad and I think there are a decent number of breeds I'd be perfectly happy with. I've been so focused on finding *THE* PERFECT BREED and I'm seeing that maybe that shouldn't be my absolute #1 concern.

Kendall & the Red Dogs: Rowan & Riff
Old 07-26-2013, 12:36 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paviche View Post
Everyone at my daycare hates GSDs too, but I love them and working with them only made me want one more! I think they're just poor daycare candidates, generally, so they see the annoying side where I'm like whoa, I bet that dog is AWESOME at home!
When I worked in boarding kennels (and I see them brought into the retail store where I work now) yeah, most of them that come through are pretty weird. They are just not always really great in public or put in the care of someone else. There are some that are pretty stable but so many that are kind of a mess. Airedales too, I never saw an Airedale that could handle being kenneled well.

Old 07-26-2013, 12:52 AM
Glutton for Crazy

I hate having GSD in daycare. Their play styles are typically so intense, and loud, they set my teeth on edge.
Chili Brigades Brover 5/23/14 -

Arnold CGC TDI FD 6/29/04 - 07/05/13
Backup CGC HIC CD SRD SJ-N RATI 12/29/09 - 07/05/13

You were amazing, we did amazing things.

Harmony Canine, relationship based training.